IGNORED

Transfer Deadline. Sorry But I Agree With Tony Pulis

Lord Northski

Heard Tony Pulls on Radio 5 a couple of nights ago saying that he wished the transfer deadline ended the day before the season started as a player of theres was be chased by another club. Much that it pains me to admit it, I have to agree with him.

Much like many other on here, I'm logging on at least a couple of times a day (that's all I'm prepared to admit) to find out if we've signed anyone else, and hoping we haven't let anyone else go before we've got a replacement again. Clearly with the City having a disapointing first couple of results the need to strengthen our squad was a priority, and those results didn't encourage those potential signings from putting pen to paper, when they may well have signed before the start of the season. As it stands there's almost a season within a season for the rich, the first part is almost pre-season for the wealthy clubs when a poor summer and first few games can get instantly fixed with the wave of a benefactors cheque book, before the proper season starts when you just have to get on with it. Personally as we approach September I'd prefer to be thinking about the next football match, not have this wall to wall speculation of who's going to sign, amid all the smoke and mirrors and agent fuelled hype.

Plus, they'll come a time when we won't have the incredible SL and his support and we'll have to standby along with the vast majority of have-nots and watch this obscene gluttony and feeding frenzy go on, which somehow seems more important than the actual football right now. 

So apologies. Hopefully, I'll never agree with Pulls again.

I do too. Our transfer time probably effects our thinking a bit but he's said this a few times now and I've mentioned it here at some point in a thread. July 31 should be the deadline. No reason it should take this long to get players in. It would stop guys from holding out so much as well.

I do too. Our transfer time probably effects our thinking a bit but he's said this a few times now and I've mentioned it here at some point in a thread. July 31 should be the deadline. No reason it should take this long to get players in. It would stop guys from holding out so much as well.

Agreed, what is also weird is the wait till 1st July for some signings to happen. Trouble is that EPL clubs are abroad selling their 'brand'. A transfer window closing on 31st July would get in the way of that.

It may be the season that has to shift not the transfer market. With every other year we have a World Cup or a European championship which runs until July, or qualification of the other.

I know the rules don't seem to apply to football, but there is still something in vast amounts of money shifting, banking arrangements to be made, cash flow and business projections, footballers moving lives and families across continents etc. Any other industry would struggle to mobilise so quickly and I think football does so remarkably (worryingly). I'm not convinced further restriction is necessarily appropriate.

I agree it's not ideal, but I also disagree with him re Saido Berahino. That happens irrespective of the date of the market and only a few months back we ought point to Raheem Sterling and the unsettling influence irrespective of whether a move is imminent or months away.

Personally I wonder if the solution is to do away with the transfer window altogether - and I appreciate it was introduced to counter 'buying' the championship. If it was being introduced today I'm not sure it could survive legal challenge at all as it's simply a restraint of trade to my mind.

European leagues don't have a fixed start, some start beginning August, some mid and some late.

For me, the window system is very much geared up in favour of the bigger players and bigger clubs - it inflates the worth of the players and only the big clubs stand a chance of affording the prices. Has this then led to the rise of the 'super agents' who get cream off great commisions?

Everyone else outside of this elite band, suffers as a result. Players and clubs alike.

And considering the football authorities go on about FFP, they are the ones who should be doing something about it.

Maybe early August is ridiculously early to start?

Don't we have enough midweek fixtures and sat/tues/sat runs as it is?

46 League games, plus 2 min for cup games, means we could already practically fill up a whole calendar playing just on weekends. Add in the international breaks and international competitions in the summer and I'm not sure you can do too much with the footballing calendar.... much less if we have a winter break

Perhaps exceptional but didn't Crawley have genuine trouble completing their fixture list the season before last once adverse weather impacted?

Don't we have enough midweek fixtures and sat/tues/sat runs as it is?

46 League games, plus 2 min for cup games, means we could already practically fill up a whole calendar playing just on weekends. Add in the international breaks and international competitions in the summer and I'm not sure you can do too much with the footballing calendar.... much less if we have a winter break

Perhaps exceptional but didn't Crawley have genuine trouble completing their fixture list the season before last once adverse weather impacted?

Personally I prefer evening games to Saturday games, I think it's more exciting and there seems to be more atmosphere under the lights. Although midweek, I don't find it as easy to do the meet your mates in the pub beforehand due to work commitments. But if City decided to have all home games on a Tuesday, I would actually be quite pleased. 

I have to confess that though it pains me greatly, Lousy Pint does talk a lot of sense.  I was greatly impressed with his punditry on R5L before he went to WBA.  And he seems to have earned the respect of Mourinho, which is pretty good going.

I will now go and wash out my mouth with Domestos.

Archived