IGNORED

Step Up To The Premier League

And Its Smith

It makes me wince a little bit when I see clubs getting promoted out of this league and then signing a mix of old Premier League has beens and foreign players that end up not being able to adapt to the English league.

I don't think the step up for individuals is that great. There are various examples of players moving up and holding their own before many thought they would. Ashley Westwood, Jose Fonte, Carl Jenkinson, Scott Dann and Yannick Bolasie are a few.

I am convinced that Joe Bryan could do a job now in the Premier League. For me, he is no worse than 3 or 4 first choice left backs in the top flight.

Instead of teams buying untried foreigners and Premier League also rans, why don't they buy the very best from the Championship? Perhaps the prices would be an issue, I don't know.

But, do you think that this team would survive in the Premier League?

Obviously the best team in the Championship is subjective but this wouldn't be far off (and I don't want this to become a thread scrutinising the best team, as that isn't the point!)

.......................Marshall...................

Byram......Davies.......Keogh...........Bryan

.....Cairney.....Huddlestone....Snodgrass

......................Hughes.......................

.........Rhodes.........Austin................

It makes me wince a little bit when I see clubs getting promoted out of this league and then signing a mix of old Premier League has beens and foreign players that end up not being able to adapt to the English league.

I don't think the step up for individuals is that great. There are various examples of players moving up and holding their own before many thought they would. Ashley Westwood, Jose Fonte, Carl Jenkinson, Scott Dann and Yannick Bolasie are a few.

I am convinced that Joe Bryan could do a job now in the Premier League. For me, he is no worse than 3 or 4 first choice left backs in the top flight.

Instead of teams buying untried foreigners and Premier League also rans, why don't they buy the very best from the Championship? Perhaps the prices would be an issue, I don't know.

Obviously the best team in the Championship is subjective but this wouldn't be far off (and I don't want this to become a thread scrutinising the best team, as that isn't the point!)

Imo I reckon it would and maybe even more with the right manager putting the belief into them as I think that can make even normal average players punch ? above their weight.

Excellent debate. Only on OTIB.

You can't post 1/3 of the posts on your own thread and then claim that it's an interesting debate.

It's not a debate, it's a hypothetical question that will encourage hypothetical responses. That's not a debate.

For what it's worth, I don't think that any promoted team that didn't have any premier league experience in there would fare very well. It's all about the right blend of youth & experience.

I do agree that managers always seem to go for players well past their best when they go into the prem , distin for example and how many teams went for hayden mullens ! I guess managers just think an old head will do , it makes me chuckle though as they nearly always just warm the bench .

Flint is better than Keogh by a country mile.

I'm worried about Bryan. I think he could be a good player in the Premiership and if he carries on playing the way he is at the moment,someone (Everton ) may bid for him , in this transfer window. When teams go up , they do spend over the odds on foreign players and ex prem players. It would be refreshing if a team picked young , hungry players from the lower leagues. Then again , with the foreign owners , I doubt if that would happen.

You can't post 1/3 of the posts on your own thread and then claim that it's an interesting debate.

It's not a debate, it's a hypothetical question that will encourage hypothetical responses. That's not a debate.

For what it's worth, I don't think that any promoted team that didn't have any premier league experience in there would fare very well. It's all about the right blend of youth & experience.

Haha I was being sarcastic. Mainly because the first few posters were not debating!

The answer to the question depends on the manager of the team.

I would fancy that last year Sean Dyche had proven himself to be the best Championship manager of the previous season - though couldn't keep Burnley in the league.  And without looking back at all their signings, Burnley kept the core of their Championship team, including the top striker from the previous season (Danny Ings), and despite some fine results, still got relegated.

So I guess Burnley kind of answer the original question - the top Championship team would be relegated without the right number of shrewd Prem investments (certainly no has-beens).

I *think* I read it as JB being as good as at least 3-4 of them, probably inferring the worst 3-4 rather than the best

edit: beaten to it by city169 :)

Joe Bryan has the potential to make It to the very top. He is not there yet but i am convinced that in 2/3 years time he'll be plying his trade in the Prem. , hopefully with us .

Christ.

Has anyone actually stuck to the point of the OP?

The team consisting of the best players in the championship (doesn't really matter who you individually think they are), would this survive in the premier league?

My opinion, yes. Certainly not top 6, but could hold their own and survive.

I think there's a quite a big gap in quality between the clubs/squads in the Championship and the Premier League, but there are some really good players in this league that could hold their own a division higher for sure.

So, so much is about the management of the side, often above playing resources.

Last year we fretted about Sheffield United, and the quality players they had, all across their side. Yet they couldn't beat us to the title, despite the strength and depth at their manager's disposal.

Similarly; Derby had a brilliant squad last year, yet Bournemouth were the side who took the title, and the Rams didn't even make the play-offs.

In fact, our run to the playoffs back in '08 came from a smart use of what was arguably a relatively weak squad, and yet we did very well.

The concept of a 'Championship Galacticos' team isn't a bad one; they could certainly give Prem teams a run for their money, but would be a lot to do with their manager, I think.

Archived