IGNORED

End Of Loan System

ashton_fan

Watching the pre-match interview with Sean Dyche reminded me that this is the last season where loans are allowed. From next season we'll only be able to use our own players, this is why some clubs such as QPR and Burnley are building up their squads as there'll be an almighty scramble for players next summer by clubs like us who have used the loan system extensively to make permanent signings. So getting players in the next couple of transfer windows isn't going to get any easier.

I hadn't heard this, it's a ridiculous rule if implemented as itis clearly designed to harm the clubs with less money. It will also get challenged in court by players who will see this as a restraint of trade.

And well if you can afford to pay the wages of a bunch of players who might not play until next season then that great. Other clubs need to consider better ways of dealing with the situation such as getting better at developing your own talent.

Watching the pre-match interview with Sean Dyche reminded me that this is the last season where loans are allowed. From next season we'll only be able to use our own players, this is why some clubs such as QPR and Burnley are building up their squads as there'll be an almighty scramble for players next summer by clubs like us who have used the loan system extensively to make permanent signings. So getting players in the next couple of transfer windows isn't going to get any easier.

I've not seen this mentioned before, I think it would be stupid to end the loan system. Is this actually happening?

Oh!

So if we don't use the remaining transfer windows wisely, we could have a rather large problem, although I'm sure that won't be the case.

It's the small clubs I feel sorry for, their wage bills are going to hugely increase as many clubs rely on loanees to make up a team.

Of course if you're a rich premier league team, then no problem, they'll just pay over inflated players to sit on the bench.e

I can see the logic if true. Would stop clubs stock piling players and sending them out to learn for the benefit of the parent club. In theory if players want to play they will spread out down the leagues and the ones that are happy to never play will waste a short career.

It annoys me that clubs like Chelsea have just as many players out on loan as they do in their squad. If the loan system is abolished they'll have to sell or release them instead. So potentially lots of available players next summer.

Haven't emergency loans had several withdrawal dates in the past?

I'm sure they have, for the same reasons, and each and every time FIFA has backed down. Wouldn't expect anything different to be honest. Doesn't suit the English game one bit to do away with it.

Edit

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31992432

Yep. I wouldn't expect it to go anytime soon personally.

I missed this too. A quick google indicated that Football League and Conference clubs have been given a year's grace to make emergency 93-day loans. From this, it seems that FIFA only want to scrap emergency loans outside of the transfer windows:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31992432

Surely, if it's an emergency, it will be outside the transfer window.

You can already imagine what Greg Dyke is going to say about this is the reason why we need the B teams league implemented.

If he wants to bring in his masterplan then they can all start at the lowest tier of semi professional football and earn their right to enter the football league. This isn't the 1930s anymore. You can't just elect someone into the league.

It's the transfer windows that are the problem, not the emergency loans. There was nothing wrong with the old system, whereby clubs could sign players at any time, up to mid March. Have two windows just creates a mad scramble to sign players as the deadlines approach.

Reading this article from when the story broke in 2011 the changes do not effect loans taken out during the transfer windows (ie the longer term ones), but no transfers will be allowed outside of the window period:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/8969167/Football-League-clubs-dealt-huge-blow-after-Fifa-decides-emergency-loans-contravene-its-rules.html

Reading this article from when the story broke in 2011 the changes do not effect loans taken out during the transfer windows (ie the longer term ones), but no transfers will be allowed outside of the window period:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/8969167/Football-League-clubs-dealt-huge-blow-after-Fifa-decides-emergency-loans-contravene-its-rules.html

That's exactly right. Emergency loans contravene the transfer window but by a FIFA concession they are permitted. FIFA now want to withdraw that concession but I would bet that club power means it will continue for some time yet.

I'm not sure if any other leagues have the emergency loan concession. That is pure ignorance on my part but it certainly isn't a mandated window.

Archived