IGNORED

Bus Shuttle

bs3

I see the Rugby club is laying on another bus service for its games, it will go from Whitchurh through Hartcliffe, Withywood , Bishopsworth , Bedminster Down and on to Ashton Gate as well as running a service from Horfield common.

How about the football club putting on the same service for  us fans. if it can be done for the Rugby fans surley it could be done for us.

By the way its £3 return with two trips from Whitchurh.

There is no direct bus service from these area's in South Bristol to Ashton Gate . With all the threads about parking at games over the last few months surley this in a small way will start to ease the problem . 

Correct, I live in the People's Republic of Knowle - too far to walk so have to take the car - public transport  means getting into town and out again or taking the Abus from Temple Meads.

Not sure how many people are in a similar situation but a link on matchdays between say Broadwalk and the ground would be welcome.

Lucan the thing is with Frankie and Bennies  or the Cinema is they don't have 16,000 people all turning up at their venue at 3 pm on a Saturday if they did they may well introduce a transport plan. 

If it was viable to run buses from these locations and there was enough demand I would imagine that a commercial provider would have got in there first in any case.  

Besides I wouldn't be surprised if the club had their own agenda in respect of transport which means cars clogging Ashton is not necessarily undesirable per the long term aims.

If it was viable to run buses from these locations and there was enough demand I would imagine that a commercial provider would have got in there first in any case.  

Besides I wouldn't be surprised if the club had their own agenda in respect of transport which means cars clogging Ashton is not necessarily undesirable per the long term aims.

Its seems commercially viable for the Rugby club/Bristol Sport to run these buses not sure why BCFC/Bristol Sport not to run the same routes. Not sure why the club agenda would be to clog up the streets for its long term aim? Are you allurding to the reopening of Ashton Gate Railway station?

not sure it's about long term aims, but either a lack of vision, or an unwillingness from Worst Bus to get involved.  In this instance, the transport is arranged by Bristol Rugby club To smooth over the transition from the Memorial. It's proved so popular another route has been added; surely evidence enough that sports fans want the ability to travel directly to a venue without having to break up the journey.

Parking near to the stadium is getting harder, calls from fans for some sort of matchdays travel will only get louder.  

not sure it's about long term aims, but either a lack of vision, or an unwillingness from Worst Bus to get involved.  In this instance, the transport is arranged by Bristol Rugby club To smooth over the transition from the Memorial. It's proved so popular another route has been added; surely evidence enough that sports fans want the ability to travel directly to a venue without having to break up the journey.

Parking near to the stadium is getting harder, calls from fans for some sort of matchdays travel will only get louder.  

Your right BCR , But the reaction on this thread to have direct buses to games is luke warm, so nothing will get done and people will continue moan about parking,  traffic but I guest that is the Bristol way!

Us older fans can remember the football specials running from all over Bristol to matches, City one week and Rovers the next. Don't know why they cannot be reintroduced on match days.

Yes!  and all the drivers had free admission.  Always remember watching them leave just before the end of the game to get into their buses ready for the fans.  I wonder if the early leavers from the Dolman stand are all ex bus drivers!

Its seems commercially viable for the Rugby club/Bristol Sport to run these buses not sure why BCFC/Bristol Sport not to run the same routes. Not sure why the club agenda would be to clog up the streets for its long term aim? Are you allurding to the reopening of Ashton Gate Railway station?

Re Ashton Gate Railway station yes that was exactly on my mind, although additionally whether the council may ultimately decide to relax parking restrictions also - Cumberland basin etc. With the revamp bringing attention and increased capacity I can appreciate why the club might think a bit of short term pain could in the long term be worth it.

As for viability I admit I'm still quite unconvinced. If the demand is sufficient it is surprising that no commercial enterprise (Abus, First) have implemented it. I could be wrong but I believe First don't run (or need to run) any additional capacity for example from the City Centre to Ashton Gate on matchdays/times. I find that quite telling also.

Re Bristol Rugby I can understand shuttles from north Bristol being practically compulsory given that was their heartland and where they have only very recently relocated from.

As the rugby club's attendances typically struggle (and with another season in the Championship) that may have forced the hand too. If you aren't selling out then you may need to make it easier for people to attend, if you're selling out (as we are) then I think nowadays the commercial hat trumps the community hat - whether for better or for worse will be personal opinion.

Re Ashton Gate Railway station yes that was exactly on my mind, although additionally whether the council may ultimately decide to relax parking restrictions also - Cumberland basin etc. With the revamp bringing attention and increased capacity I can appreciate why the club might think a bit of short term pain could in the long term be worth it.

As for viability I admit I'm still quite unconvinced. If the demand is sufficient it is surprising that no commercial enterprise (Abus, First) have implemented it. I could be wrong but I believe First don't run (or need to run) any additional capacity for example from the City Centre to Ashton Gate on matchdays/times. I find that quite telling also.

Re Bristol Rugby I can understand shuttles from north Bristol being practically compulsory given that was their heartland and where they have only very recently relocated from.

As the rugby club's attendances typically struggle (and with another season in the Championship) that may have forced the hand too. If you aren't selling out then you may need to make it easier for people to attend, if you're selling out (as we are) then I think nowadays the commercial hat trumps the community hat - whether for better or for worse will be personal opinion.

Of course not - Abus do already. That's what I always use.

Can anyone confirm where exactly the A bus sets off from, after each home match? Is it Winterstoke Road, or from inside the retail park, by Currys?  And does it reach the Centre and Temple Meads at about the same time as previously, when it started from the park side?

Ta!

And Abus highlights exactly my point. From Bris through temple meads and the city centre (commuter/traveller hubs) only 2 additional buses are required to service the additional match day demand, even though it's very cheap, reliable and removes the parking problem. 

• Admin

The ONLY reason that these buses are running is to get supporters without transport from the Mem to AG8, it was always part of the softening of the transition for supporters from ground to Stadium

@everreddy the aBus service runs from the stop near to KFC, the buses are parked in the same layby they use for these rugby specials, the buses go up to the roundabout by the Robins pun then back toward the centre - I haven't used a bus this season but did notice the buses were slow getting away after the Leeds game due to first getting stuck in traffic going one way then getting stuck going back the other

I'm sure when there was talk of Ashton Vale the club was committed to lay on an improved public transport for supporters to get to the ground, with the increasing parking restrictions around the ground and with the looming capacity increase I'm surprised that the club haven't looked to implement this already

Can anyone confirm where exactly the A bus sets off from, after each home match? Is it Winterstoke Road, or from inside the retail park, by Currys?  And does it reach the Centre and Temple Meads at about the same time as previously, when it started from the park side?

Ta!

Winterstoke Road, near KFC, and it takes longer because it has to turn at the roundabout and follows the same route as the cars heading for the Centre. Bot of a bigger if you have a train to catch :(

The ONLY reason that these buses are running is to get supporters without transport from the Mem to AG8, it was always part of the softening of the transition for supporters from ground to Stadium

@everreddy the aBus service runs from the stop near to KFC, the buses are parked in the same layby they use for these rugby specials, the buses go up to the roundabout by the Robins pun then back toward the centre - I haven't used a bus this season but did notice the buses were slow getting away after the Leeds game due to first getting stuck in traffic going one way then getting stuck going back the other

I'm sure when there was talk of Ashton Vale the club was committed to lay on an improved public transport for supporters to get to the ground, with the increasing parking restrictions around the ground and with the looming capacity increase I'm surprised that the club haven't looked to implement this already

Thanks, phantom!

This may well happen when Ashton Road is free of the rebuilding traffic. There's a bus route that makes the journey quite quick if it can start from Ashton Road.

Winterstoke Road, near KFC, and it takes longer because it has to turn at the roundabout and follows the same route as the cars heading for the Centre. Bot of a bigger if you have a train to catch :(

Not my experience, Aizoon. The twice I have used it, although it's waited a while to fill up, the route it takes is actually QUICKER than the old route via Ashton Road and back on itself on the roundabout at Clanage Road. The new route is straight onto the Brunel Way and into Hotwells.

Not my experience, Aizoon. The twice I have used it, although it's waited a while to fill up, the route it takes is actually QUICKER than the old route via Ashton Road and back on itself on the roundabout at Clanage Road. The new route is straight onto the Brunel Way and into Hotwells.

The one I got on Saturday went up Winterstoke Road, turned at the roundabout, back down Winterstoke Road and on to the flyover. Took ages.

Archived