IGNORED

Away game ticketing arrangements - Stoke City idea

Phileas Fogg

Saw this discussed on Twitter the other day by some Southend fans ahead of their game with Colchester and think it's a great idea.

Stoke City sell their tickets with this "understanding" written into the ticket information page;

"Supporters who wish to sit down during the match are advised to request tickets at the front of the stand."

http://mobile.stokecityfc.com//news/article/fulham-ticket-info-2655653.aspx

I understand people want different things at away games, I personally would always stand but wouldn't want to get in someone's way who wanted to sit. I think this would be the same for many people and maybe this way of selling tickets could be the answer. I know too it's usually an unwritten rule that standers' try and go towards the back anyway, but at games with big followings and allocated seating this may not be possible.

Could this be something that works for us? For it to work, it would have to be reserved seating and one we would take a decent following to. Birmingham would be one (too late now), games like Wolves, Fulham, Brentford, Cardiff, Charlton etc could be possibilities (probable decent following).

What do we think? Perhaps something that could get discussed at FAN.

• Admin

Saw this discussed on Twitter the other day by some Southend fans ahead of their game with Colchester and think it's a great idea.

Stoke City sell their tickets with this "understanding" written into the ticket information page;

"Supporters who wish to sit down during the match are advised to request tickets at the front of the stand."

http://mobile.stokecityfc.com//news/article/fulham-ticket-info-2655653.aspx

I understand people want different things at away games, I personally would always stand but wouldn't want to get in someone's way who wanted to sit. I think this would be the same for many people and maybe this way of selling tickets could be the answer. I know too it's usually an unwritten rule that standers' try and go towards the back anyway, but at games with big followings and allocated seating this may not be possible.

Could this be something that works for us? For it to work, it would have to be reserved seating and one we would take a decent following to. Birmingham would be one (too late now), games like Wolves, Fulham, Brentford, Cardiff, Charlton etc could be possibilities (probable decent following).

What do we think? Perhaps something that could get discussed at FAN.

Firstly I would forget the FAN part as that group is clearly dead in the water.

I did wonder whether there was some agreement with the team that they are visiting, so that they acknowledge that they will be prepared to let people stand. But reading the line you quoted above I think that it is more to do with encouraging their own fans to follow this recommendation so those that want to sit are at the front etc

I wonder how this would work with sell out fixtures?

Firstly I would forget the FAN part as that group is clearly dead in the water.

I did wonder whether there was some agreement with the team that they are visiting, so that they acknowledge that they will be prepared to let people stand. But reading the line you quoted above I think that it is more to do with encouraging their own fans to follow this recommendation so those that want to sit are at the front etc

I wonder how this would work with sell out fixtures?

I checked out some of their other fixtures and it seems to be a regular thing, even games like Villa which you'd assume they'd sell out (or come close to).

is that official about FAN then? I thought I'd heard nothing about it for a few months.

I think it's sound logic and personally my opinion is still that this is what the club should have said re flags in the Ateyo. However the afflicted didn't like the suggestion of having to sit towards the front so I think you'd find similar opposition. 

• Admin

is that official about FAN then? I thought I'd heard nothing about it for a few months.

No, just my opinion from conversations that I have heard that ways were being looked  into how to get a group that interacted with supporters etc up and running, impression I got was that FAN was no more.

untill our stadiums are adapted ( rail seating etc) I'm not sure this is a good idea. I'm personally not against the idea, but why should someone who wants to sit down at a game be restricted to having a crap view at the front?? So for me good idea on paper but impractical and divisive and hard to police.

untill our stadiums are adapted ( rail seating etc) I'm not sure this is a good idea. I'm personally not against the idea, but why should someone who wants to sit down at a game be restricted to having a crap view at the front?? So for me good idea on paper but impractical and divisive and hard to police.

Good points, one could perhaps argue why should someone who wants to stand have a worse experience being made to sit at the front (!). Stoke manage to make it work though. Would at least like to see it tried a few times. 

All sounds good in theory but the city ticket office never give you a choice with tickets. You get what you're given is how ive been sold them for a long time. Just end up sitting or standing where i want half the time instead as usually get a crap view from the front!!!

That's true, think the point with this would be if you were to ring up for example, City would ask whether you'd prefer to sit or stand and give you a ticket position based on that.

No, just my opinion from conversations that I have heard that ways were being looked  into how to get a group that interacted with supporters etc up and running, impression I got was that FAN was no more.

There is a meeting next Tuesday to discuss the role, purpose and direction of FAN to make it as relevant and effective as possible going forward. 

Instead of a front/back divide of sitting/standing, they should sell it in blocks, that way the people who want to sit can do so further back with a better view. 

that's an interesting idea. I think some arrangement can easily be found, Leeds created the best atmosphere out of the three sets of away fans' we've had at Ashton Gate and all stood. Definitely a correlation.

Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of acoustics will tell me I'm wrong but I would imagine that solution wouldn't be conducive to a good atmosphere. The noise would just flow straight out into the void rather than reverberating around the stand and being amplified as (I think?) it would be from further back. 

For me the solution may lie in charging the same prices between the Ateyo and the South stand and designating one as very light regulations and one strictly enforced. That way people can pick and price doesn't have to determine the choice. 

** my mistake quoted wrong, in response to Cyril. 

Archived