IGNORED

ELO; No not the group but 'World Football Rankings'

havanatopia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_Elo_Ratings

http://www.eloratings.net/world.html

Lot of information and a lot of reasoning behind how they calculate and I think its worth studying further to see if this is a valid rankings system football fans should follow rather than the arguably badly flawed 'cash stuffed brown bag' system.

The wiki entry is a little easier on the eye, the ELO web site needs work but get through that and see what you think. Be interesting to hear people's opinions on this thread. Might be worth pinning this somewhere modulators.

May I suggest listening to Evil Woman while meandering through the site?..

Edited by havanatopia

Those rating se just as bad, England shouldn't be near the top 10, along with Wales down in 44th with Japan ahead. 

Why? Some will argue you can name 10 teams better than England but based on what? Their style of play? Their top players? Their results?

Belgium are currently ranked number 2 - they are hugely over rated. They haven't beaten anyone worth raving about, cant even credit them for beating France as they are poor now.

Only 2 teams have beaten us in a competitive fixture since Germany trounced us 5 years ago. Last years WC was a farce, but I still think we are a top 10 team at least. We are certainly better than Romania, Belgium, Chile and Wales, regardless of what those rankings might say, though I'd accept that Italy and Spain would still be above us and possibly Netherlands (along with the other teams that are above)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_Elo_Ratings

http://www.eloratings.net/world.html

Lot of information and a lot of reasoning behind how they calculate and I think its worth studying further to see if this is a valid rankings system football fans should follow rather than the arguably badly flawed 'cash stuffed brown bag' system.

The wiki entry is a little easier on the eye, the ELO web site needs work but get through that and see what you think. Be interesting to hear people's opinions on this thread. Might be worth pinning this somewhere modulators.

May I suggest listening to Evil Woman while meandering through the site?..

That'll be the (All Over the) World Rankings then Havana? :whistle:

England are a good team. Reason behind this is, no other team will fancy playing us, because on our day, we can beat anyone.

Can you say the same about Wales.

Our record in qualifying for tournaments is excellent. Our tournament play is abject at best.

England play better teams than say Wales, in friendlies. We also play a lot more games than say Wales.

Whilst we have been beaten by teams ahead of us in the FIFA rankings, a team like say Wales, have been beaten by teams below them in the rankings.

For me, FIFA need a better system. With so much riding on where teams are in the rankings, it's important to get it right.

They should be put in touch with the Duckworth Lewis folks. 

Stevo 

It is almost an impossible task to get right. How far back do you go? In normal rankings, take tennis, the top players all appear in the same tourneys a pile of times a year. In international football, you can only beat who you play that year.

Somebody mentioned Holland up above. For me, over the last ten years, one of the top half dozen teams. Right now? Last two games lost to Turkey and Iceland, and struggling to qualify for France, or even get a play off place. 

When was the last time England lost a competitive game to a team below them in the rankings?

im sure Uruguay were above us going into the last WC. We didn't lose at the euros, 2010 Germany must have been above us? So I make it Ukraine in 2009.

weve lost some friendlies that we shouldn't have, but so do other countries. Look at Spain. Terrible WC campaign as defending champions and lost to Slovakia in qualifying.

Ultimately we are a top 10 team that will beat most teams we play until we get to the later stages of a tournament.

Why? Some will argue you can name 10 teams better than England but based on what? Their style of play? Their top players? Their results?

Belgium are currently ranked number 2 - they are hugely over rated. They haven't beaten anyone worth raving about, cant even credit them for beating France as they are poor now.

Only 2 teams have beaten us in a competitive fixture since Germany trounced us 5 years ago. Last years WC was a farce, but I still think we are a top 10 team at least. We are certainly better than Romania, Belgium, Chile and Wales, regardless of what those rankings might say, though I'd accept that Italy and Spain would still be above us and possibly Netherlands (along with the other teams that are above)

Chile would murder us!

ELO were great, completely uncool but made some brilliant music..

Also described by John Lennon as the son of the Beatles, as my favorite group it sort of peeves me off why Jeff Lynne is not inducted into the the hall of rocknroll, one of Britains best wordsmiths of his time.

Edited by redcityman

Does anyone else wish they would bin the ranking points and just reward teams who win qualifying groups with a ceded place in the group stage of that competition?

The FA Cup is interesting as you can draw any team, while the champions league is totally dull in the group stages as it's a prearranged procession for the the big boys.

Even tennis is dull as rankings mean it's usually the same four in the semi finals.

Just bloody pull a name out of a hat, or reward teams for what they did in the last round.

Does anyone else wish they would bin the ranking points and just reward teams who win qualifying groups with a ceded place in the group stage of that competition?

The FA Cup is interesting as you can draw any team, while the champions league is totally dull in the group stages as it's a prearranged procession for the the big boys.

Even tennis is dull as rankings mean it's usually the same four in the semi finals.

Just bloody pull a name out of a hat, or reward teams for what they did in the last round.

Totally off-topic, but still the case that there was nothing wrong the old European Cup format, anyone could draw anyone.  I think the seeds of its demise date back to late 1980s when Real Madrid drew Maradona's Napoli in the 1st round.  I.e. the sort of knock-out affair that would not feasibly occur until at least the quarter-finals nowadays, and then only after each team had banked revenue from at least 4 home ties.