IGNORED

England vs Swiss Rolls

Negan

Just having a look at our team for tonight and the midfield looks so..... dire!

Hart

Clyne Cahill Smalling Shaw

Milner Shevley Delph

OX Rooney Sterling

Then again, there isn't much to pick from these days! Especially seeing as Wilshere is always injured!

Just having a look at our team for tonight and the midfield looks so..... dire!

Hart

Clyne Cahill Smalling Shaw

Milner Shevley Delph

OX Rooney Sterling

Then again, there isn't much to pick from these days! Especially seeing as Wilshere is always injured!

The midfield looks full of energy. Not so sure about technical ability. 

Don't think I'll ever buy into the "expert opinion" of the BBC's chief football writer or the majority of on screen pundits regarding Milner. He lacks quality, he is the Stephen Pearson of the England team. Consistent, but consistently average. There's no dynamic edge with him, just bland and predictable play.

As I type, a very tame effort comfortably saved by the keeper from Milner.

Don't think I'll ever buy into the "expert opinion" of the BBC's chief football writer or the majority of on screen pundits regarding Milner. He lacks quality, he is the Stephen Pearson of the England team. Consistent, but consistently average. There's no dynamic edge with him, just bland and predictable play.

As I type, a very tame effort comfortably saved by the keeper from Milner.

I do like Milner for the reliability and energy he brings, but I agree that what he brings is limited. The starting midfield looks full of work ethic and devoid of creativity. I also like Delph, but Andrea Pirlo he ain't. Barkley is the only centre mid player who stands out as being a creative force, but he's still very much a work in progress at international level. At the end of the day, we just don't have the quality of player in midfield that Germany or Spain or even France possess. What we have are hard working, physical players with pace out wide and so that's how we play. Is it exciting? Not really, but if we tried to play intricately possession-based football we'd get battered. I'm hopeful that we are starting to produce more technically competent players, but for now we need to play to our limited strengths

Well, it was dire first hour, but they found a way. Kane coming on seemed to inject some energy and urgency in to the team, and in the last half hour, considering it was a dead rubber, thought they actually did ok.

Stirling still looks to me like the international version of Junior Bent, but hey, credit 8/8. 

The best thing about this game is the flashing Ashton gate stadium Bristol billboard 

It wasn't just me that saw that!  I wasn't really watching as there was a wall nearby with some paint drying on it but I was sure I'd seen "Ashton Gate" come up on the advertising boards.

Appreciate Roy's honesty after the game saying the first half was poor. 

Switzerland are a decent side that won two games in Brazil.

We've qualified emphatically again and now need to gear everything to prepare for France.

Still think we'll do well next summer with a fair wind.

Agree that the Swiss are a half-decent side but I don't see England making any waves in France next year. We desperately lack quality in midfield and I have reservations about our defence against the top sides. It'll be more of the same I feel, England lack genuine quality and I don't see any of our players seriously worrying the top 6-8 European teams. 

Hope you're right though.

Enjoyed this evening a lot - the pre-match event I was invited to, with Martin Keown and Graeme Le Saux, was decent (plenty of free food and beer, and an interesting Q&A) - was nice to finally get something back from the FA!

As for the performance - certainly not vintage - but to beat Switzerland (who, let's not forget, came damn close to knocking Argentina out of the world cup last year) 2-0 home and away isn't too shabby.  

Agree that the Swiss are a half-decent side but I don't see England making any waves in France next year. We desperately lack quality in midfield and I have reservations about our defence against the top sides. It'll be more of the same I feel, England lack genuine quality and I don't see any of our players seriously worrying the top 6-8 European teams. 

Hope you're right though.

I actually think a back 4 of Gibbs/Shaw-Cahill/Smalling-Stones-Clyne (which I reckon it could be by next summer) is half decent. The problem is finding the right player to play in front them. Whether you play 433 or 4231, you need a midfield player who sits in the space in front of your back 4 and breaks up play. Wilshere had done it surprisingly well, but he's not fit enough to be relied on. Get that right and I think it'll make us hard to beat. Then we just have to figure out how to win, rather than just make it difficult for the opposition...

I am interested as to which 8 European teams you think are better than us at the minute though?

Over in Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland (ish) everybody is getting very excited about the mere possibility of qualification.

Meanwhile, over here in England, we have a 100% record, scored 26 goals in 8 games and only conceded 3, and qualified before any other European team. But everybody still moans. 

Over in Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland (ish) everybody is getting very excited about the mere possibility of qualification.

Meanwhile, over here in England, we have a 100% record, scored 26 goals in 8 games and only conceded 3, and qualified before any other European team. But everybody still moans. 

Different levels of expectations.

I actually think a back 4 of Gibbs/Shaw-Cahill/Smalling-Stones-Clyne (which I reckon it could be by next summer) is half decent. The problem is finding the right player to play in front them. Whether you play 433 or 4231, you need a midfield player who sits in the space in front of your back 4 and breaks up play. Wilshere had done it surprisingly well, but he's not fit enough to be relied on. Get that right and I think it'll make us hard to beat. Then we just have to figure out how to win, rather than just make it difficult for the opposition...

I am interested as to which 8 European teams you think are better than us at the minute though?

I don't see Gibbs or Smalling as international class, and worry whether Stones, Shaw and Clyne, although talented footballers, might struggle against the top strikers as they're all still learning the game.

6-8 better teams in Europe, in my opinion...: Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, Belgium. Ok, I've named 6, but I still maintain my stance... We are some way off most of those teams, and I wouldn't fancy England against any of those sides in a knockout game. They are more savvy, streetwise and they all keep the ball better.  

I don't like criticising England for the sake of it as some do, but I really think there are massive deficiencies in our squad, allied to a lack of tournament pedigree and I'll be surprised to see us do anything other than beat the poor teams and be knocked out by the first decent side we face.

I don't see Gibbs or Smalling as international class, and worry whether Stones, Shaw and Clyne, although talented footballers, might struggle against the top strikers as they're all still learning the game.

6-8 better teams in Europe, in my opinion...: Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, Belgium. Ok, I've named 6, but I still maintain my stance... We are some way off most of those teams, and I wouldn't fancy England against any of those sides in a knockout game. They are more savvy, streetwise and they all keep the ball better.  

I don't like criticising England for the sake of it as some do, but I really think there are massive deficiencies in our squad, allied to a lack of tournament pedigree and I'll be surprised to see us do anything other than beat the poor teams and be knocked out by the first decent side we face.

I agree mostly but think we're probably better than Belgium and Portugal. Portugal minus Ronaldo aren't special.

We have a lot of pace in the side, hopefully Sturridge will be fit and firing then too.

I agree mostly but think we're probably better than Belgium and Portugal. Portugal minus Ronaldo aren't special.

We have a lot of pace in the side, hopefully Sturridge will be fit and firing then too.

Portugal certainly aren't special but I'd back them in a knockout game against England. They are a more clever side, with 1 world class player compared to our 0.

Smalling seems to have come on leaps and bounds recently- as a mate of mine said, "can someone figure out what this bloke who looks like Chris Smalling has done with the real Chris Smalling". My preference would be Cahill and Stones mind and I do take your point about a lack of international experience. But we only have the resources we have

As for better than England, I think Germany and Spain without question. Italy are an ageing team but one who are an exceptional tournament team and I wouldn't bet on us beating them at a major championship, even if their star is fading a bit. Belgium and France are both very hit and miss at tournament level. Arguable France are bigger underachievers than England, though both are better on paper than England. Portugal, as others have said, are a one man band. So while I agree that England would have to play well to exceptionally to beat any of those 6, 3 or 4 of them we would have a reasonable chance against. Looking deeper into Europe, the Netherlands are a mess, the Scandinavian nations are on the wane and the Eastern European nations like Poland, while dangerous, are unlikely to be favourites to beat us. I'm not arguing for a single second that England are 'world beaters' or even 'particularly good' but just that some of the criticism of the team is OTT

France we are pretty much on a par with, Belgium and Portugal, well I would fancy us to beat those two. Italy? No great shakes, Germany very strong and obviously the best.

However the team seems to lack cohesion, Roy has not managed to gel the players into a team so far that would be capable of winning a competition, the defence is not solid, something that really concerns me, especially if we are to play counter attacking football, which  with the pace we have, is our only real hope.

You say that, there's only two teams in Europe to have conceded fewer goals than England during qualifying. We're not the finished product and I doubt we'll get past the quarters, but we don't look any worse than we have in any other qualifying. When was the last time we won all our games in qualifying anyway

Portugal certainly aren't special but I'd back them in a knockout game against England. They are a more clever side, with 1 world class player compared to our 0.

What about Wales and Bale? I wouldn't back them against us.

@chipdawg Italy's tournament record at WC14 wasn't all that!

Smalling seems to have come on leaps and bounds recently- as a mate of mine said, "can someone figure out what this bloke who looks like Chris Smalling has done with the real Chris Smalling". My preference would be Cahill and Stones mind and I do take your point about a lack of international experience. But we only have the resources we have

As for better than England, I think Germany and Spain without question. Italy are an ageing team but one who are an exceptional tournament team and I wouldn't bet on us beating them at a major championship, even if their star is fading a bit. Belgium and France are both very hit and miss at tournament level. Arguable France are bigger underachievers than England, though both are better on paper than England. Portugal, as others have said, are a one man band. So while I agree that England would have to play well to exceptionally to beat any of those 6, 3 or 4 of them we would have a reasonable chance against. Looking deeper into Europe, the Netherlands are a mess, the Scandinavian nations are on the wane and the Eastern European nations like Poland, while dangerous, are unlikely to be favourites to beat us. I'm not arguing for a single second that England are 'world beaters' or even 'particularly good' but just that some of the criticism of the team is OTT

Don't see how a back to back World cup and a Euro win is ' underachieving ' .

They do have a bit of the Dutch about them though where they can shoot themselves in the foot during major tournaments.

Id fancy us against France at the moment. Also Belgium are over rated. Portugal without Ronaldo I'd expect us to beat.

Interesting you put France and Begium above us but not Netherlands?

Don't see how a back to back World cup and a Euro win is ' underachieving ' .

They do have a bit of the Dutch about them though where they can shoot themselves in the foot during major tournaments.

I meant in recent times- nearly 20 years since their World Cup win. Less underachieving than England though, I admit! 

was chatting football to a couple of friends the other day, and Smalling came up in the conversation.  We tend to to get every Manchester United game live among the 3 or 4 games each weekend, so I have seen most of his games this season.  He does seem to be a vastly improved player, and along with Shaw, possibly their top 2 so far.  One friend suggested that having Schneiderlin providing protection in front of him has taken some of the pressure off.  Certainly a sensible theory when you consider how good Lovren looked when he did have the same cover at Southampton, and how much poorer he looks at Liverpool.

Yep I do, because although our defensive record in qualifying looks good, as we all know the real test will be the finals, the pre tournament friendlies will at least test our defence, something that has not happened in qualifying. 

It will yes. Personally I'd like to see a back four of Stones - Cahill - Smalling - Shaw on current form; just not quite convinced by Clyne defensively, and although Stones' best position is in the middle he'd be solid on the right. I think that'd hold up ok.

was chatting football to a couple of friends the other day, and Smalling came up in the conversation.  We tend to to get every Manchester United game live among the 3 or 4 games each weekend, so I have seen most of his games this season.  He does seem to be a vastly improved player, and along with Shaw, possibly their top 2 so far.  One friend suggested that having Schneiderlin providing protection in front of him has taken some of the pressure off.  Certainly a sensible theory when you consider how good Lovren looked when he did have the same cover at Southampton, and how much poorer he looks at Liverpool.

That's what England miss in my opinion. A real defence minded CM to protect the back four. This could easily expose our defence against a higher class opposition. Hodgson tried playing Wilshere there but that's not really his game at all. 

Id fancy us against France at the moment. Also Belgium are over rated. Portugal without Ronaldo I'd expect us to beat.

Interesting you put France and Begium above us but not Netherlands?

The reason I haven't suggested the Dutch is because they are in a mess and I doubt whether they'll qualify. 

Portugal with Ronaldo: I'd fancy them to beat us. Without Ronaldo? Not sure - but they are tournament-savvy. The type of team that knows how to grind out results in the major championships. England are not.

Wales? I think England would beat them. Yes, Wales have 1 world class player like Portugal, but my point is Portugal have the big game experience. Those Welsh players have never experienced a major international tournament before.

My point is I don't think this English squad has either a) the natural talent or b) the big-game know how to beat teams like Portugal, France, Spain, Germany at a major tournament. I think you need one of either of these things, preferably both, to do well at a major tournament.

England have a half-decent side, but few of the players are leading figures at their clubs, Rooney and Hart aside, and there aren't any players with the prodigious talent of someone like Eden Hazard at Belgium, Paul Pogba of France, etc. Those are the reasons I don't see us doing any better than beating the mediocre teams but getting found out by the first quality side we meet.

Archived