IGNORED

Loan Fees

BristolBEAT

Some interesting quotes there. Surprised we'd pay a significant fee for Moore until January so actually I'd suggest it's probably more indicative of their problems than our own. Baker though for a year I'd imagine the fee was an astute bit of business compared to the alternatives available permanently.

One thing that struck me as very odd is towards the end of the article he seems to show almost a lack of ambition - I wouldn't spend that on one player, at Burton that would keep us going for 20 years. etc..... Not being funny pal but you certainly aren't going to be in the job in 20 years time if that's your attitude as fans demand immediate success and continued growth. I think perhaps he needs to remember that if he's not being told 'No' often enough from the board he isn't being ambitious enough.

It's why I don't worry about the postings of SC and SL clashing over transfer budgets from the fake ITK's - I think its perfectly healthy and just what should be happening.

The one thing that concerns me is, yes we've got 2 quality players in but they are only loans. How long are we going to keep on doing this. Are we ever going to up our wage structure, as if not how are we ever going to get the quality players in so we become an established Championship side with the thoughts of ever going back to League 1 banished for good. The same thing may well happen in January, and all being well if we don't go down, the same again next season. One day we will have to up the wage structure as the prices (fees & wage demands) are only going to go up :(

Don't agree with @29AR on this, Rowett has nothing to prove and if he'd rather find rough diamonds and mould them then good on him. Let's be fair, £8million on Gayle would have been financially stupid. Not necessarily ineffective, but stupid.

Oh no Robin1988 I completely agree with you, £8m would've been stupid, similarly on Gray too. I suppose my point is the manager should be the one pushing for the £8m players and it should be the board who are concerned about long-term implications/calling it stupid.

It only takes a month or so of bad form these days and a manager can get the boot so for me the manager should be the most ambitious, or over ambitious, at the club - because his tenure is going to be the shortest - and it should be for the board to taper his requests with a view to long term stability.

Oh no Robin1988 I completely agree with you, £8m would've been stupid, similarly on Gray too. I suppose my point is the manager should be the one pushing for the £8m players and it should be the board who are concerned about long-term implications/calling it stupid.

It only takes a month or so of bad form these days and a manager can get the boot so for me the manager should be the most ambitious, or over ambitious, at the club - because his tenure is going to be the shortest - and it should be for the board to taper his requests with a view to long term stability.

That's definitely one way of looking at it, it's good that some managers don't prescribe to the same short-termism as many boards do though.

Sorry if this is already somewhere else. But how much did we pay for the loans for Moore and Baker. Double the fee Birmingham offered according to Gary Rowett.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-transfer-news-gary-10034037

Reading Rowett's comments about not wanting to spend £8 million on 1 player seems to be suggesting he's always going to be a lower league manager , you've got to  have the bottle to go for it if the money is made available to you by the board .

Reading Rowett's comments about not wanting to spend £8 million on 1 player seems to be suggesting he's always going to be a lower league manager , you've got to  have the bottle to go for it if the money is made available to you by the board .

True ,i remember Brian Clough moulded a team that won League titles ,League cup and  two European Cups with misfits and journeymen but it was Britain's first Million pound player ,Trevor Francis ,  that scored the winning goal for them against Malmo ,  .

A manager needs to know when to stick and when to twist .

Got a feeling that the Moore deal could become permanent if all goes well. Might part-explain why his loan isn't a season long. We obviously have a limit on season long loans and I don't think Moore is here just for a run of games.

With regards to Rowett, they could have only offered anything like £50k for the loan. The fact he says we paid "double" isn't substantial as they've got no dosh.

The one thing that concerns me is, yes we've got 2 quality players in but they are only loans. How long are we going to keep on doing this. Are we ever going to up our wage structure, as if not how are we ever going to get the quality players in so we become an established Championship side with the thoughts of ever going back to League 1 banished for good. The same thing may well happen in January, and all being well if we don't go down, the same again next season. One day we will have to up the wage structure as the prices (fees & wage demands) are only going to go up :(

One season loans are fair enough. If we make a permanent signing on a 3-year deal they often only stay for 2 so the loan is a better option cost-wise (unless we made a bit profit on the transfer of the permanent signing, which we don't generally). The 3-month deals aren't so good though as it often takes 2-4 weeks for the player to settle in, and if he plays well he's unlikely to stay beyond the end of the deal.

He says he has no facts to back up anything so I don't understand how he claims we paid double the price they were willing to pay?

The wealth of our owner is no secret so as was said before we shouldn't be surprised SL is willing to spend that type of money.

I don't mind Rowett and think he has done a great job at Birmingham but it's like we are back league one, other managers making their excuses before we have even played!

Archived