IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

4 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

In my opinion, boxing, like darts, is about supporting the person, not the country.

Bit different if you are watching Olympic boxing where they are representing the country. Otherwise it’s all down to the person.

For example, I’ll support anyone whose fighting AJ regardless of where they are from!

Agree with most of that

IMO most if not all individual sports persons are do it for themselves not their country

so as you say you support the person not the country

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Guessing this was between the Chisora and AJ fights where there were serious questions on Usyk's size and before Saudi money meant all the talk about him being not being a name for a stadium fight here or in the US became irrelevant anyway. Think I saw this at the time and don't think it was meant as disrespectful as the clip makes it out.

Hopefully there will be a rematch but if Usyk bows out then it has been some rise from where he was around the time of that clip to becoming the best heavyweight of the era.

Edited by Baba Yaga

11 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I enjoyed that. 

No way at all that Tyson won.

Best he could hope for in the end was a draw. 

But the most bizarre thing is so many British people so against a British boxer. 

Not about him being British

It is about him being a classless c###

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Not about him being British

It is about him being a classless c###

It's often forgotten that Fury is also a drugs cheat. Served a two year ban and paid off the BBBoC so that the ban wasn't much lengthier. 

Just watching the fight back and man that 10 count Fury got was sloooooow. That, along with it being at the end of the round, means Fury was fortunate to make 12 rounds. 

Sounds like a broken jaw for Usyk and nose for Fury, so can't see October rematch going ahead. 

• Like 3

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2024/05/18/tyson-fury-vs-oleksandr-usyk-live-latest-round-updates/

Stunned by the remorseless brilliance of Oleksandr Usyk, Tyson Fury lost more than his unbeaten record on this brutal night of reckoning. He also forfeited any right to be called a gracious loser with his classless claim that the judges had only awarded the Ukrainian victory because his country was at war (vote here if you agree). It was a gross insult to the courage of his opponent, who brought the reign of the Gypsy King to a shuddering close with a bravura display, channelling the pain of a shattered nation to become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

Fury, by contrast, ended his evening looking like a clown. How he had mocked Usyk, jinking his head from side to side in the corner and gurning to the crowd. If this was supposed to be his imitation of Muhammad Ali’s rope-a-dope, it did not work. Usyk simply studied this play-acting with contempt, weathering the worst that Fury could throw at him – including one fearsome sixth-round upper cut that contributed to a broken jaw – before dominating the second half of the fight.

“I believe I won,” boasted Fury, unable to compute defeat to a man on whom he had six inches’ advantage in height and seven in reach.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's often forgotten that Fury is also a drugs cheat. Served a two year ban and paid off the BBBoC so that the ban wasn't much lengthier. 

Just watching the fight back and man that 10 count Fury got was sloooooow. That, along with it being at the end of the round, means Fury was fortunate to make 12 rounds. 

Sounds like a broken jaw for Usyk and nose for Fury, so can't see October rematch going ahead. 

images.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Guessing this was between the Chisora and AJ fights where there were serious questions on Usyk's size and before Saudi money meant all the talk about him being not being a name for a stadium fight here or in the US became irrelevant anyway.

This was also after the Chisora fight

• Like 1

On 19/05/2024 at 17:22, 2015 said:

Delighted that arrogant **** lost and it should of been stopped in Round 9. 

This all day. I watched the fight again earlier when i had a bit of peace - Round 9 he was a gonner. Fury will embarrass himself again at a rematch, but why should Usyk bother? He has nothing else to prove.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This all day. I watched the fight again earlier when i had a bit of peace - Round 9 he was a gonner. Fury will embarrass himself again at a rematch, but why should Usyk bother? He has nothing else to prove.

Usyk was too smart for him, said it after 4 rounds, he's got a much higher boxing IQ than the likes of Chisora, Wilder etc and it showed. 

What I liked is the Gentleman won the fight. Usyk's camp showed restraint and class throughout whilst the Fury's typically shouted their mouths off as usual and this time they got their comeuppance. Fury showed his true colours post match when he mentioned Usyk only won because of the war. Real classy..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 2015 said:

Usyk was too smart for him, said it after 4 rounds, he's got a much higher boxing IQ than the likes of Chisora, Wilder etc and it showed. 

What I liked is the Gentleman won the fight. Usyk's camp showed restraint and class throughout whilst the Fury's typically shouted their mouths off as usual and this time they got their comeuppance. Fury showed his true colours post match when he mentioned Usyk only won because of the war. Real classy..

One of the best things about the defeat is that now we will never have to put up with Fury fanboys claiming he's "the greatest heavyweight in history" or that "no heavyweight in history would've beaten him".

Fact is, historically it's not a great era for heavyweights, and Fury has beaten barely anyone of note. 

He bummed around fighting Wilder for three fights (the last one of which, whilst entertaining, no-one needed to see as Fury clearly won the first two) followed by other bums like Chisora, Ngannou and Whyte, all whilst avoiding AJ and Usyk.

Whilst dangerous cus of his overhand right, Wilder is one of the worst technical boxers you'll ever see. 

First proper boxer he comes up against and he loses...despite having a huge size/weight and reach advantage.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

One of the best things about the defeat is that now we will never have to put up with Fury fanboys claiming he's "the greatest heavyweight in history" or that "no heavyweight in history would've beaten him".

Fact is, historically it's not a great era for heavyweights, and Fury has beaten barely anyone of note

He bummed around fighting Wilder for three fights (the last one of which, whilst entertaining, no-one needed to see as Fury clearly won the first two) followed by other bums like Chisora, Ngannou and Whyte, all whilst avoiding AJ and Usyk.

Whilst dangerous cus of his overhand right, Wilder is one of the worst technical boxers you'll ever see. 

First proper boxer he comes up against and he loses...despite having a huge size/weight and reach advantage.

I cant stand the guy - but his isnt true.

Dont get me wrong - his CV isnt amazing. But wins against Klischtko and Wilder were massive wins. You cant take that away from him.

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

I cant stand the guy - but his isnt true.

Dont get me wrong - his CV isnt amazing. But wins against Klischtko and Wilder were massive wins. You cant take that away from him.

So you think it's been a great era for heavyweights? 

Huge respect for the wins against Wlad and Wilder, however that's kinda my point - who else?

And as good as his win against Wlad was, I preferred AJ's demolition job on him that ended his career. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

So you think it's been a great era for heavyweights? 

Huge respect for the wins against Wlad and Wilder, however that's kinda my point - who else?

And as good as his win against Wlad was, I preferred AJ's demolition job on him that ended his career. 

I was responding to your assertion, that he's done nothing of note. He has

I think Fury's win against Vlad was an easier win. AJ more gutsy.

Is it a good era? - back in the 90's everyone said it wasnt a great era  and now we look back at that time as golden era.

Yeah i do think its been a pretty decent period - I mean, it was dead before Fury beat Wlad. Since then, we've had lots of good fights.

11 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

We have also missed out on fights that should have taken place. Usyk stands out as being the best, by some distance.

He only beat fury by a round or two - he is clearly the best. Fury is clearly no 2. Then theres the rest.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

He only beat fury by a round or two - he is clearly the best. Fury is clearly no 2. Then theres the rest.

I'd be interested to see how AJ would get on right now against Fury. AJ has looked a lot sharper lately. Will never happen though as Fury just constantly delays all the time

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I'd be interested to see how AJ would get on right now against Fury. AJ has looked a lot sharper lately. Will never happen though as Fury just constantly delays all the time

He could definitely beat him. Fury past his best i reckon

• Like 2

I will still look forward to the rematch if it happens and certainly don’t think It’s a given that Usyk wins either. I can see another Trilogy here. 
However for that to happen, Fury has to have the balls to get rid of John Fury out of his corner once and for all

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

AJ knocks Fury spark out on current form 💯

• Like 1

On 21/05/2024 at 09:56, TonyTonyTony said:

We have also missed out on fights that should have taken place. Usyk stands out as being the best, by some distance.

On 21/05/2024 at 10:07, Riaz said:

My problem with this era of heavyweights is there have been many fights not made due to mostly the bent as **** WBC.

Wilder was protected by the WBC and I think poor old Joe Joyce was robbed of a shot or two, as were other fighters.

Joshua has been badly mismanaged he's fought anyone and everyone with what wasn't the best backroom staff.

Usyk is awesome love him, Fury liked him to start with but he lost me at the point he got big and opened his mouth.

There's so much bollocks with PPV fights that shouldn't be PPV, I really like what Boxxer are doing lots of world titles on normal premium TV.

I haven't really got much to say about the personalities of the two boxers the other night, what I do know is it was a great fight and it takes two good boxers to make a great fight. I thought the early rounds were fairly even, I'd give them to Usyk purely because of Tyson's silly taunting and gurning. Between rounds 4-6 I thought Fury used his extra weight and reach to really impose himself on Usyk and I could only see it go one way. But then Usyk dug something out from somewhere or Fury didn't have the stamina to maintain his dominance, but Usyk won the fight in the around 8 onwards. 

One other thing, does anyone else think that Usyk has the look of the Kurgan from Highlander, especially around the eyes? :) Perhaps the only way to stop him is to chop his head off....

image.png.8a1a7ace0b311d09e390dccfb7855260.png       image.png.67847abb9905ee411a447914b95cce11.png