IGNORED

Just Back From the Game

And Its Smith

Well, that is the most one-sided draw I have seen in a long time.  I still don't know how we haven't won.  Their keeper being made man of the match just about says it all although we are as guilty for missing chances as he is a star for making the saves.

The game started very slowly indeed and our pace was very poor.  Freeman showed some early spark and Kodjia was energetic from the off but that was it really for the first 15 minutes.  Baker getting injured did us a favour as Williams is a lot better going forward and we looked better after that change. As the half went on the looked better and started creating chances.  Wilbraham wasn't helped by a fussy referee who barely gave him a decision all night. 

Our problem in the first half was our final ball.  We got into some great positions but the final ball or cross was very poor time after time.  Freeman's corners were also poor.  

The second half started brighter than the first and we continued how we had finished the previous half.  Smith was controlling the game expertly from midfield but Preston, who matched out 3-5-2 formation were doing a pretty good job of keeping us at bay.  The chances came and their keeper was kept busy.  His catching from corners and crosses was faultless all night long. Then a rare Preston attack saw them score a goal and it had to be Kilkenny eh?  It was a stunning goal though to be fair! We were still in control at that point and beyond and it was a bitter pill to swallow.  

Little coming on for Moore was another substitution that had a positive affect as, again, it allowed the new centre back (Ayling) to push forward more effectively than Moore had done and gave us even more attacking impetus.  We needed the centre backs to bring the ball out more as Preston were happy to sit back and try to hit us on the break.  

It got to the point where I was almost begging Cotterill to bring Agard on for Wilbraham, who was being well marshalled by their tall defenders, so I looked rather silly when Wilbs scored a superb header!  After that Agard came on for a tiring Kodjia and should have scored followed by a free header from Freeman (I think) who missed the best chance of the night.

Personally I am gutted that we only drew.  Preston are a poor team and will definitely go down this season.  We should have won and this is definitely two points dropped.

Fielding - 7 - two very good saves and one standard save near the end.  Looked assured all night and didn't have too much to do.

Ayling - 7 - kept running and trying to create.  Looked more comfortable linking with Little and playing centre back than with Moore at wing back

Moore - 5 - distribution is not good enough to do the job he needs to in that position

Flint - 7 - won nearly every header and could have had a goal on another night.  Kept their strikers quiet

Williams - 8 - excellent.  Perhaps pressure for places is what he needed.  Fantastic going forward.  Calm and assured at the back

Bryan - 6 - didn't really get in the game too much.  Missed a great chance second half that he blazed over. 

Pack - 6 - broke up play well.  Distribution okay.  Decent game

Smith - 9 - MOM - the complete midfielder.  Incredible display

Freeman - 7 - in and out of the game.  Often received the ball too deep to hurt Preston but showed flashes of brilliance and should have scored at the end.  Two great long range shots - one saved and one deflected wide

Wilbraham - 6 - didn't link with Kodjia too well and struggled to get in the game.  Lack of pace is an issue at this level.

Kodjia - 9 - ran the channels and tracked down tirelessly.  Strong and quick and they couldn't handle him.  Understandably tired second half.

I'm just back too (Travelodge 'Central' in Preston) and will just re-paste what I put on the match thread at half time as I still feel like it was one of the best individual forward line performances I've seen and the header to build the equaliser second half just added to that - intelligent, hungry and classy:

"Am at Deepdale and Kodjia has just played the best 45min I've seen from a City striker technique wise since Andy Cole or possibly ever. It's like watching Drogba and two teams of kids, he is the best player on the pitch by a distance, he hasn't played this well for us before but today his strength, runs, touches and intelligence are first class, looks sharper and more skillful than the game has deserved. Meaningless without goals but would be tough to hold onto him beyond this season on the basis of today. Absolute class act."

Korey Smith was also class today, he and JK ran the game at times. Only downer was thought Joe Bryan was well off the pace today, was he ill - never seen him so poor. I know he set up the goal but apart from that he didn't get in the game in either an attacking or defending capacity, he was rarely able to get involved, and probably only City player you could say that for. Echo the OP, how we've not won that I do not know.

Preston a nice place, glad they came up with us.

Just how on earth did you not pick up 3 points?

We were shocking, and it says a lot that it took a screamer from Kilkenny of all people to get us a goal.

Cannot believe you missed those chances at the end.

If you play like that every week you'll be fine.

Good luck apart from in the return fixture!

I'm just back too (Travelodge 'Central' in Preston) and will just re-paste what I put on the match thread at half time as I still feel like it was one of the best individual forward line performances I've seen and the header to build the equaliser second half just added to that - intelligent, hungry and classy:

"Am at Deepdale and Kodjia has just played the best 45min I've seen from a City striker technique wise since Andy Cole or possibly ever. It's like watching Drogba and two teams of kids, he is the best player on the pitch by a distance, he hasn't played this well for us before but today his strength, runs, touches and intelligence are first class, looks sharper and more skillful than the game has deserved. Meaningless without goals but would be tough to hold onto him beyond this season on the basis of today. Absolute class act."

Korey Smith was also class today, he and JK ran the game at times. Only downer was thought Joe Bryan was well off the pace today, was he ill - never seen him so poor. I know he set up the goal but apart from that he didn't get in the game in either an attacking or defending capacity, he was rarely able to get involved, and probably only City player you could say that for. Echo the OP, how we've not won that I do not know.

Preston a nice place, glad they came up with us.

The only thing I would say about Bryan was that their RWB was very impressive indeed.  Bet you thought he would score his chance second half when it fell to him, like I did!

Good Kodjia write up.  He almost looks like he could be playing Premier League football now on that showing.

We were shocking, and it says a lot that it took a screamer from Kilkenny of all people to get us a goal.

I wasnt at the game but seems to be the story of our season. We are playing really well but cant convert that into wins. Even tho we lost against Birmingham I walked away scratching my head as to why we didnt win.

Thanks. That makes me feel much better!

I didnt listen but bcfctweets had a tweet saying there was a blantent handball in the first half by cunningham I think in the penalty area.

Second half but Korey certainly thought so - he stopped playing for over a minute chasing the ref. Only blot on an imperious performance, play to the whistle and all that.

Very disappointed not to have got 3 points. Preston (Imo) played the percentage game... A lot of long balls and picking up the second ball. We were the considerably better team playing considerably better football.

Thought the ref had a shocker.. Not just towards us but In general. Some of the freekicks given were laughable none more so than pack throwing a superman esq dive.

Not sure who the Preston keeper is but his handling was faultless all game and him getting motm was very much deserved.

Was very impressed by pack and Smith in the middle and they kept us ticking over with some nice football. 

It looked like handball to me but then we were at the other end of the stadium, having said that there was a hint of handball by Williams in our box towards the end.

We should have won. We played the much better football and had the much better chances. To be honest it's hard to pick a bad performance by any city player.

It just had to be bloody Kilkenny!!

Had a great curry in town with a couple of Nobber mates.

That's twice in a few months we have deserved more than just a point at Deepdale. Pickford had a stormer for them, any other GK on the night and it could have been 3 or 4-1.

Echo Ole's praise of Kodjia, simply sublime, I'm sorry to say Aaron can't keep up with him it's as simple as that/

Grayson did a job on Bryan putting Humphrey on him but inexplicably had a tactical reshuffle and took him off, only then did Joe start getting in the crosses, thankfully, 1-1.

Freeman had one of those nights where he did a great deal of good work but snatched at a couple of chances he should have buried.

All round decent performance, maybe the players knowing they are better than PNE man for man helped instill some confidence? 

I'm sure we will be fine and end up lower mid table, PNE are pedestrian and we absolutely bossed them in the middle of the park, they are going to struggle with a lack of any clear quality, hoping they survive too.

Onwards and upwards.

I'm also back (only Lancaster) I think you're a tad generous on Kodjia, yes he was fantastic going forward, but would reach the edge of the box and struggle, I'd love to see him try and go past the defender and shoot more rather than look to lay it off, however wasn't involved second half at all, still definitely an 8 though. Think you're being harsh on Pack, didn't really do a lot wrong in what his job in the team was to do, if we'd have won I think most people would have had him as 7/8's at least, but its not his main job to score the goals, plenty of others had those chances today. Definitely think you're being harsh on Moore, looked very solid defensively and imo looked alright taking the ball forward. Definitely a 7 for me. 

Wouldn't say a different rating but Freeman was very frustrating, at times it looked like he was trying to hard to do some sort of wonder pass for assists. However going forward today he was fantastic and never stopped looking for the ball and running.

Very disappointed not to have got 3 points. Preston (Imo) played the percentage game... A lot of long balls and picking up the second ball. We were the considerably better team playing considerably better football.

Thought the ref had a shocker.. Not just towards us but In general. Some of the freekicks given were laughable none more so than pack throwing a superman esq dive.

Not sure who the Preston keeper is but his handling was faultless all game and him getting motm was very much deserved.

Was very impressed by pack and Smith in the middle and they kept us ticking over with some nice football. 

It looked like handball to me but then we were at the other end of the stadium, having said that there was a hint of handball by Williams in our box towards the end.

We should have won. We played the much better football and had the much better chances. To be honest it's hard to pick a bad performance by any city player.

Jordan Pickford. On loan from Sunderland. He's the no.1 for England U21s, and very highly rated. Sunderland see him as their future no.1. His handling as you say is excellent, and his kicking is scarily good!

he had a point to make .

Had a great curry in town with a couple of Nobber mates.

That's twice in a few months we have deserved more than just a point at Deepdale. Pickford had a stormer for them, any other GK on the night and it could have been 3 or 4-1.

Echo Ole's praise of Kodjia, simply sublime, I'm sorry to say Aaron can't keep up with him it's as simple as that/

Grayson did a job on Bryan putting Humphrey on him but inexplicably had a tactical reshuffle and took him off, only then did Joe start getting in the crosses, thankfully, 1-1.

Freeman had one of those nights where he did a great deal of good work but snatched at a couple of chances he should have buried.

All round decent performance, maybe the players knowing they are better than PNE man for man helped instill some confidence? 

I'm sure we will be fine and end up lower mid table, PNE are pedestrian and we absolutely bossed them in the middle of the park, they are going to struggle with a lack of any clear quality, hoping they survive too.

Onwards and upwards.

Can't we get Wes, Agard, or Reid in instead?

Jordan Pickford. On loan from Sunderland. He's the no.1 for England U21s, and very highly rated. Sunderland see him as their future no.1. His handling as you say is excellent, and his kicking is scarily good!

Impressed me a lot. Commanded his area- considering how dominate we were at set plays last season, he came and collected everything be it on the penalty spot or under his own bar.

he had a point to make .

:clapping:

All very well and good, and it did sound on the radio like we were the better team - but we were still 9 minutes away from losing the game. Sides that struggle tend to concede soft goals (as we have done all season thus far) and not be able to take their chances. It's often a confidence thing. I agree with RedDave that Preston will likely finish bottom 3 this season so we really need to be beating them. Very frustrating we didn't.

Really need to start well Saturday, score first and I hope we'll get those first 3 points at home. Don't want to be going into October still with no home win...

I like this comment from PNE website 

It's best if we are honest about the situation.

Last night we were totally outplayed in every department, our tactics were primitive compared to theirs.

We spent most of the night fending off attacks, and if it hadn't been for some great goalkeeping and some woeful finishing they could have scored 7 or 8.

And they are one of the weaker teams in this division.

Up to last night we had been holding our own, but the cracks really opened up last night.

If Grayson and Riddler can't get over to Hemmings that we need some new quality, and quickly, then it's going to be a long hard season.

Sounds like if it wasn't for a wonder goal we would have won. I'd be more concerned if we weren't creating chances and we have actually scored a fair amount this season it's our defensive displays which have let us down.

A point away from home is never a terrible result. We just need to start winning our home games.

Sounds like if it wasn't for a wonder goal we would have won. I'd be more concerned if we weren't creating chances and we have actually scored a fair amount this season it's our defensive displays which have let us down.

A point away from home is never a terrible result. We just need to start winning our home games.

Frankie made a couple of decent saves and one excellent save so on another day could have gone in but yes we should have won 

I like this comment from PNE website 

It's best if we are honest about the situation.

And they are one of the weaker teams in this division.

Up to last night we had been holding our own, but the cracks really opened up last night.

if we are one of the weaker teams how come we opened some cracks for the first time? Have they been playing teams weaker than us? Slightly contradictory there.

if we are one of the weaker teams how come we opened some cracks for the first time? Have they been playing teams weaker than us? Slightly contradictory there.

as far as I could work out from commentary they don't normally play 3-5-2 but did last night to match up with us. Being a less familiar formation I'd say it's more likely for frailties to be exposed

Archived