IGNORED

If you were the manager...

RAD_Red

What (exactly) would you do this week in terms of preparation for Ipswich? Complete formation change, switch out a couple of players? Interested in everyone's thoughts as every person I've spoken to has said something different.

Personally, I'd switch to 4-4-1-1 with Freeman just behind Kodjia, Bryan Reid K.Smith and Little in midfield, and Williams at LB, Flint and Moore at CB and Ayling at RB. I don't think Pack or Wilbs cut it at the moment, and think we should focus completely on not conceding this week and playing counterattack, maybe even just to catch a couple of teams out.

We need to change formation to tighten up, no question. 442, or 4411 seems the obvious choice,  but what we are desparate for is a top championship midfielder/ leader on the pitch to give us experience and know how. We dont have enough in midfield and why this wasnt rectified in the summer is a mystery.

Hopefully Korey is fit. Looked very uncomfortable last 15 after that last counter attack. 

I'd drop Pack, Moore, and Wilbraham for our 3 subs. Reid, Agard and Burns solve the lack of pace. We didn't defend too badly with them on. Their counter attacks were from us going forward. 

If Mark Little isn't fit we should just keep Wes out there as he's always so positive. If you don't want to drop Moore than Ayling should be. Williams I thought was decent today. So yea I would just go for more pace and tell the lads to not give away the ball so easily. Too many times we just hoof it clear when we've got time and space.

Watch the match from the top of the South Stand or at least film it from there - there was a bit of a pattern emerging today - we hit long balls in hope rather than expectation, cut out with ease, couple of passes from the resultant knockdown and Reading were off on the attack. 

Completely different perspective than just standing next to the pitch

It was all too easy for them - must be a reason why these Rugby wallahs sit at the back of the stand and not down the front 

Watch the match from the top of the South Stand or at least film it from there - there was a bit of a pattern emerging today - we hit long balls in hope rather than expectation, cut out with ease, couple of passes from the resultant knockdown and Reading were off on the attack. 

Completely different perspective than just standing next to the pitch

It was all too easy for them - must be a reason why these Rugby wallahs sit at the back of the stand and not down the front 

there was a bit of a pattern emerging today - we hit long balls in hope rather than expectation, cut out with ease, couple of passes from the resultant knockdown and Reading were off on the attack. 

Leeds was exactly that

Has everyone suggesting we play four at the back forgotten how bad Aden looked when we played it? I seem to remember people saying how he was transformed by playing in the middle of the three. Why go back to something that we changed because it didn't suit our players?

I would play 5-4-1 with LF at LM and KA RM which means our FBs are not the only wide players. They could push up at times and the  midfield tuck in but they would be under less pressure to be our only wide attackers. JK has played lone striker before so hopefully he could do it for us. Also KA and LF have a track record of scoring from wide positions.

Freeman (off the pace badly though if he played well at PNE swap him for Robinson and have the 3 move around behind kodjia) and Wilbraham out and I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on Flint too, far too slow and positionally unaware at this level so far.

4-2-3-1

Little - Moore - Williams/Flint - Bryan

Smith - Pack

Agard    -      Reid    -   Robinson

Kodjia

Go back to May and do the opposite of what has been done since (with the exception of Kodjia's signing). The tactics aren't the problem, the loss of momentum caused by our worst transfer window in living memory is the problem. We had an opportunity to progress, instead we made a squad from L1 worse and are now suffering the consequences.

We need somebody in midfield so badly that can spot a pass. Kodjia is going to get fed up very quickly if he keeps making decent runs in behind the defence if the ball never comes. Watching from the Dolman his movement was very good, he split the 2 centre backs numerous times in the 1st half and just needed the ball played through. But instead of Pack putting the pass through he either goes simple sideways or for the "Hollywood" long diagonal which is cut out. Oh for a Paul Hartley type player in our midfield.

We need somebody in midfield so badly that can spot a pass. Kodjia is going to get fed up very quickly if he keeps making decent runs in behind the defence if the ball never comes. Watching from the Dolman his movement was very good, he split the 2 centre backs numerous times in the 1st half and just needed the ball played through. But instead of Pack putting the pass through he either goes simple sideways or for the "Hollywood" long diagonal which is cut out. Oh for a Paul Hartley type player in our midfield.

sorry but going forward is not our problem, IMO we need a player that can spot what passes the opposition are going to make and cut them out.

sorry but going forward is not our problem, IMO we need a player that can spot what passes the opposition are going to make and cut them out.

So not having a shot at goal until late in the game was ok? Reading's defence had such an easy day today. Teams have scouted us and worked us out, they know we are going to play the long diagonals up to Wilbraham and always have an extra player there so when the ball gets turned over in their favour a couple of their players can break into the wide open spaces. Because their centre backs are splitting this is why Kodjia has so much space to run into, if only we had somebody capable of playing the pass.

My team for next Saturday, assuming everyone is fit.

FF

LA, AF, NB

ML, BR, KS, LF, JB

CR

JK

I would go with one up top, as we are away.

i would tell AF to start getting right up their Strikers backside and give him the odd kick too. For a big old monster that he is, he's allowed Hoffman, Wood and Blackman to have an easy ride.  Only game I thought he's played well at home is Burnley.  AF dominating his opponent would give confidence to the others.

No MP for me, needs a break, and we need to stop being so anxious to ping the ball crossfield.  When we play patiently we keep a better shape, and get players in.  Today JK made some nice runs to no avail.  Late in the game, BR, LF and JB, all got better touches and got JK in down the sides.

Much as I thought WB did ok today, I'd much rather have ML bombing down the right in his direct style.  LA not a RWB although starved of decent ball.

I like CR, and he and LF could share the responsibilities of supporting JK.

KS captain.  I didn't pick up that he got a knock today????

So not having a shot at goal until late in the game was ok? Reading's defence had such an easy day today. Teams have scouted us and worked us out, they know we are going to play the long diagonals up to Wilbraham and always have an extra player there so when the ball gets turned over in their favour a couple of their players can break into the wide open spaces. Because their centre backs are splitting this is why Kodjia has so much space to run into, if only we had somebody capable of playing the pass.

no of course not. But we were 2 down before 20 mins. If were always chasing the game then its always going to be harder to score as teams drop back. We should be playing those balls but everytime we tried to play a through ball today they got cut out.

I think were going to have to accept that Reading were better than us, well drilled and worked hard for the 3 points.

Archived