IGNORED

Bobby Reid

GrahamC

Although I understand why Kodjia got MoM and also thought Derrick Williams did ok, I feel he was the only real bright spot yesterday.

Not going to lie, having seen him for Plymouth a couple of times on Sky last season I never thought he'd get anywhere near the team this year but along with his point winning appearance against Leeds and being one of our best performers against Burnley, he again looked the part yesterday.

This was because of two things, firstly he is technically excellent and so gets the ball under control first time, which is vital at this level.

Secondly nearly every time he got on the ball yesterday he moved it on quickly and went forward, in stark contrast to many around him.

Not saying we can build a team around him but he definitely deserves a start at Ipswich based on what he's done so far.

Although I understand why Kodjia got MoM and also thought Derrick Williams did ok, I feel he was the only real bright spot yesterday.

Not going to lie, having seen him for Plymouth a couple of times on Sky last season I never thought he'd get anywhere near the team this year but along with his point winning appearance against Leeds and being one of our best performers against Burnley, he again looked the part yesterday.

This was because of two things, firstly he is technically excellent and so gets the ball under control first time, which is vital at this level.

Secondly nearly every time he got on the ball yesterday he moved it on quickly and went forward, in stark contrast to many around him.

Not saying we can build a team around him but he definitely deserves a start at Ipswich based on what he's done so far.

Where the hell was he for the first goal though?

Agree on Bobby though, technically excellent and also has superb vision.

Started in our only win of the season at Boro too, don't forget. Coincidence? I think not.

I would love to see the 3 subs get starts at Ipswich. Play the ball on the floor, get it out quick to Burns and Bryan. Low driven crosses for Kodjia and Agard to try and slot away. More pace, more technical ability and more energy. I want to see Burns out there until Little fit. Ayling just not quick enough for the role.

back to bobby. What he lacks in height and strength from pack he makes up in pace and energy. This along with his good technical ability and quick thinking makes him better a better fit I think. He will get knocked off the ball here and there but honestly pack gives it away with his passing or inability to make a decision so don't think we lose anything but gain energy and quickness. 

Wonder if there is any merit going 4-5-1 at Ipswich and bringing him in for Wilbs.  Freeman can play behind Kodjia and Reid alongside Pack maybe?

just don't see Cotterhill changing the back line. Could see Wilbs getting dropped for Bobby, maybe. A 3-6-1 or 5-4-1 whichever you prefer. 

Wonder if there is any merit going 4-5-1 at Ipswich and bringing him in for Wilbs.  Freeman can play behind Kodjia and Reid alongside Pack maybe?

I think there is every merit, Tom.

Kodjia has had 8 games to settle in now and our best hope for points (especially away) has to be to be harder to play through, plus Reid's ability to retain the ball is very useful if we are holding on.

Agree - was going to start a thread on him myself if there wasn't already one.

We looked a different proposition when he came on the pitch. That's not a dig at Pack because I understand what he brings to the team.

When Bobby Reid came on, we were suddenly on the front foot. He has the ability and confidence to turn a difficult situation (middle of our own half and back to goal) into a positive one. It's not a coincidence that Burns, Bryan and Kodjia were suddenly far more involved after Reids introduction. He is always looking for the forward pass and is brave enough to take that chance rather than go sideways/backwards time and time again allowing Reading to re-organise. He consistently takes opposition players out of the game and gets moving forward.

He was unlucky to be dropped in the first place IMO. 

I always knew Freeman would come straight back in for Reid but I feel Reid should start away to Ipswich, only player passing straight forward and trying to move the entire team up quickly. Left some players on their backsides and played some great through balls unlike Freeman who seems to have a strange addiction to beating players until the moment is lost. Reid over Freeman and Agard over Wilbs for me next game 

He did bring a bit of energy but didn't see any quality.

Seeing as though you missed us hitting the post too, one can only assume you had your eyes closed for most of yesterday's game.

I'm sure on the highlights reel later will be Reid's lovely through ball to Agard (which was our best chance of the game) assume you missed that too?

Where the hell was he for the first goal though?

Agree on Bobby though, technically excellent and also has superb vision.

Started in our only win of the season at Boro too, don't forget. Coincidence? I think not.

Agree with this. He wasn't exactly busting a gut to get back and cover Flint, who was one on one with the attacker.

I don't expect every player to be flat out for 90 mins, but he should have seen the danger!

Seeing as though you missed us hitting the post too, one can only assume you had your eyes closed for most of yesterday's game.

I'm sure on the highlights reel later will be Reid's lovely through ball to Agard (which was our best chance of the game) assume you missed that too?

I di see that also saw him lose the ball in the middle a few times. He was probably better than Freeman but that's not saying much.

I di see that also saw him lose the ball in the middle a few times. He was probably better than Freeman but that's not saying much.

yea and I saw Pack lose possession not being strong enough. He offers us nothing except winning the goal kick aerial balls. Give me Reid and his energy. Bobby isn't better defensively but is quick enough to get back and at least get his body between ball and goal. Pack is too slow. Doesn't run fast enough or think fast enough. He needs to lose his place for a bit and work very hard to get back. I'm sure he's capable but it's just not registering to him at the moment.

Reid was the best Bristol City player that graced the pitch yesterday. He's always had the quality to play a good forward pass, and also keep the ball well. However the question is can he do it consistently? I certainly hope so as we would then have a very technically skilled young midfielder, and we all know how sought after they are in the modern day. 

yea and I saw Pack lose possession not being strong enough. He offers us nothing except winning the goal kick aerial balls. Give me Reid and his energy. Bobby isn't better defensively but is quick enough to get back and at least get his body between ball and goal. Pack is too slow. Doesn't run fast enough or think fast enough. He needs to lose his place for a bit and work very hard to get back. I'm sure he's capable but it's just not registering to him at the moment.

He doesn't have masses of energy though, hence he has only really been impressive in limited bursts of 25 -30 mins. He's been notably prone to extended periods of going missing in longer outings. 

An ideal sub in fact, when he can give his all for relatively short periods, and impress at times when the game is often more stretched. Much more than that and he's knackered, as at Middlesbro' after an hour or so.

He may well merit a start next week under present circumstances but it would be a surprise to see him last anywhere near the 90 minutes.

He needs to markedly improve his stamina and whether that's possible at his age is anybody's guess. 

What we need more than anything right now in midfield is an experienced new signing, and if he's a Captain figure, like Wade, so much the better.

He doesn't have masses of energy though, hence he has only really been impressive in limited bursts of 25 -30 mins. He's been notably prone to extended periods of going missing in longer outings. 

An ideal sub in fact, when he can give his all for relatively short periods, and impress at times when the game is often more stretched. Much more than that and he's knackered, as at Middlesbro' after an hour or so.

He may well merit a start next week under present circumstances but it would be a surprise to see him last anywhere near the 90 minutes.

He needs to markedly improve his stamina and whether that's possible at his age is anybody's guess. 

What we need more than anything right now in midfield is an experienced new signing, and if he's a Captain figure, like Wade, so much the better.

he can't really get fit without playing though. Nothing makes you match fit except for long periods in matches. I'd rather 60-70 minutes of Reid than 90 minutes of Pack at the moment. What I would really like is an actual Elliott replacement. Got to be some veteran not playing in the prem or upper championship we can get in on loan. 

Not so sure. He played 25+ games at Plymouth but there's a completely different intensity and fitness required for the Championship.

If he hasn't got the required stamina by 22 going on 23, when he really should be at optimum fitness, I've got my doubts whether he ever will have.

Then there's the matter of consistency. Can he play consistently well for 90 minutes, week after week, over a long season? Because that's what's required if he's to usurp the likes of Pack or Freeman to force his way into City's Championship team.

You're right that only a run of games can really show that one way or the other, but that means then judging him on exactly what he does, and critically what he doesn't do, with no allowances or overblown praise for being a popular local boy who fans naturally want to succeed.

And I'm far from sure that once the novelty wore off such a detached and unsentimental judgement would come out in his favour.

But what you're asking for Nogbad is pretty unrealistic isn't it. With the type of risk/reward game he plays, it simply can't be played consistently for 90 minutes week after week all season. The likes of Coutinho, Hazard (who only in the last couple seasons hit a real level of consistency) etc go through bad spells and spells of inconsistency. 

What you hope to get from Reid is a few of his risks to pay off each game and create genuine goalscoring opportunities. What I like about Reid is that he's brave enough to take the responsibility where others won't - we saw that time and time again on Saturday from Pack, Smith, Bryan and Ayling (Freeman not even worth discussing) - none of them were prepared to take responsibility, always choosing the easy option. Thats one of my frustrations about football in this country, bravery is perceived as smashing another player and a players physicality seems to be the be all and end all. 

As for stamina, he'll never build up the level required unless he plays. I'd say it probably takes the best part or 8-10 games to hit your peak. We're just seeing that with Kodjia, the difference between his stamina now and the start of the season is obvious.

All that said, there is clearly a reason why it hasn't quite happened for him up to now. There seems to be a belief from people at the club that he is good enough else he wouldn't still be here. It's almost as if we are scared to let him go.....just incase. We talk about make or break seasons for players, this is definitely it for Reid. I hope he continues to take his chances. 

Not so sure. He played 25+ games at Plymouth but there's a completely different intensity and fitness required for the Championship.

If he hasn't got the required stamina by 22 going on 23, when he really should be at optimum fitness, I've got my doubts whether he ever will have.

Then there's the matter of consistency. Can he play consistently well for 90 minutes, week after week, over a long season? Because that's what's required if he's to usurp the likes of Pack or Freeman to force his way into City's Championship team.

You're right that only a run of games can really show that one way or the other, but that means then judging him on exactly what he does, and critically what he doesn't do, with no allowances or overblown praise for being a popular local boy who fans naturally want to succeed.

And I'm far from sure that once the novelty wore off such a detached and unsentimental judgement would come out in his favour.

yea fair enough. I'd rather give bobby a chance for a bit over Pack though. We can praise Pack for winning aerial duels and being bigger and stronger but honestly he doesn't do enough with it. At this point, I don't think he's played well enough to keep playing. IMO, give Bobby a run of 5-6 matches and bring pack on for him if need be. Let them fight for it. Don't think the competition would hurt. Id prefer someone completely different but we don't have anyone else. I'd be willing to give it a go

he can't really get fit without playing though. Nothing makes you match fit except for long periods in matches. I'd rather 60-70 minutes of Reid than 90 minutes of Pack at the moment. What I would really like is an actual Elliott replacement. Got to be some veteran not playing in the prem or upper championship we can get in on loan. 

Kevin Nolan?

Archived