IGNORED

Ipswich made 11 changes...

Lack of Action Man

Highlighted tonight on radio 5live, was the fact that Ipswich firmly had their eyes on the weekends fixture as they made 11 changes tonight - a whole different team started the game compared with their previous championship fixture. 

For me, hearing this once again illustrated how unacceptable our activity in the summer transfer window was. Failure to bring the squad size to around the 22-24 mark (not counting development, loans or youth players) is putting us at a massive disadvantage to the rest of this highly competitive league.

I don't think any City fan expected us to be signing the cream of the crop, but rather the bare minimum that was expected was that we continued to scout out and acquire the "rough diamonds" from leagues 1,2 and conference. 

At the moment we can't even play 11 vs 11 in training, let alone have the depth (never mind quality) of squad to facilitate rotation and provide competition.

All in all heading into this weekends game, things look bleak. However, we can but hope for a result. To achieve it we will need to get our wing backs sat a lot deeper and use a more compacted set up to stifle the obvious strengths of the Ipswich side. 

Highlighted tonight on radio 5live, was the fact that Ipswich firmly had their eyes on the weekends fixture as they made 11 changes tonight - a whole different team started the game compared with their previous championship fixture. 

For me, hearing this once again illustrated how unacceptable our activity in the summer transfer window was. Failure to bring the squad size to around the 22-24 mark (not counting development, loans or youth players) is putting us at a massive disadvantage to the rest of this highly competitive league.

I don't think any City fan expected us to be signing the cream of the crop, but rather the bare minimum that was expected was that we continued to scout out and acquire the "rough diamonds" from leagues 1,2 and conference. 

At the moment we can't even play 11 vs 11 in training, let alone have the depth (never mind quality) of squad to facilitate rotation and provide competition.

All in all heading into this weekends game, things look bleak. However, we can but hope for a result. To achieve it we will need to get our wing backs sat a lot deeper and use a more compacted set up to stifle the obvious strengths of the Ipswich side. 

yes have to agree mate were not even giving ourselves a chance we should be looking at the likes of Dack Sawyers  etc were getting ripped apart after 15 minutes  saw this at sheff weds  Birmingham an home to Reading 

yes have to agree mate were not even giving ourselves a chance we should be looking at the likes of Dack Sawyers  etc were getting ripped apart after 15 minutes  saw this at sheff weds  Birmingham an home to Reading 

and you think that signing slightly above average L1 players will sort that out..?

Competition for every place is important, we've already seen Williams react positively when his place was threatened. Also in case of injury or suspension, I don't believe we are going to be as lucky with either this season, a replacement player can just slot in seamlessly. Players can be rotated due to drop in form or rested to let injuries recover fully, how fit has Joe been this year after being clattered at Sheffield? 

ok, last year we played close knit and it worked, but that made quality players like Jet and Greg look elsewhere. It's hard to keep everyone happy. But at the moment we haven't got quantity or quality. We are handicapped before we even take to the field at times.

Just been looking at the Ipswich XI from last Saturday v Brum, and assuming that is more likely than the XI last night, I have cause for a bit of optimism.

i think the back three would much rather play against Sears and Pitman than McGokdrick and Murphy.

i think Flint has struggled against the big, strong target man, and neither Pitman or Sears are in that mould.  Flint has been too respectful against Hoffman, Wood and Blackman in the home games.  The only decent game he's had is v Burnley v Vokes.  Can't comment on away games. I'd like him to start showing his opponent a bit of physicality.  I think the players around him would benefit from seeing Flint winning his battles.

COYR

Just been looking at the Ipswich XI from last Saturday v Brum, and assuming that is more likely than the XI last night, I have cause for a bit of optimism.

i think the back three would much rather play against Sears and Pitman than McGokdrick and Murphy.

i think Flint has struggled against the big, strong target man, and neither Pitman or Sears are in that mould.  Flint has been too respectful against Hoffman, Wood and Blackman in the home games.  The only decent game he's had is v Burnley v Vokes.  Can't comment on away games. I'd like him to start showing his opponent a bit of physicality.  I think the players around him would benefit from seeing Flint winning his battles.

COYR

disagree, I think Flint has been brilliant this season. Can't think of a bad game he's had. As a team we can't defend but noting flint can do about that.

disagree, I think Flint has been brilliant this season. Can't think of a bad game he's had. As a team we can't defend but noting flint can do about that.

So Flint is the new Bradley Orr, above criticism. Flint has been okay this season. He's done some things well but has not dominated a game anywhere near like he did last season. Think he'll step up as he gets more accustomed to this level. But he has not been brilliant this season.   

Sheff W made 10 changes and beat Newcastle away.

Not sure whether that shows the depth of Sheff W's squad or just how bad Newcastle are currently!

How ironic it is that Sheffield Wednesday haven't set the league alight themselves just yet with a modest 9 from 8. However their ability to rotate and compete shows us up as being woefully inadequate in terms of squad Size at this level.

Not sure why we would need a spare starting eleven for our cup run....

Err ... you mean 'our cup appearance' of course ... what's a 'cup run' anyway? :sad26:

McCarthy has already been blabbing on about Saturday being more important than the Manure game, so 11 changes weren't too surprising.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/607194/Ipswich-Mick-McCarthy-prioritising-league-cup-run-Manchester-United-League-Cup

So Flint is the new Bradley Orr, above criticism. Flint has been okay this season. He's done some things well but has not dominated a game anywhere near like he did last season. Think he'll step up as he gets more accustomed to this level. But he has not been brilliant this season.   

wins all the battles in the air from what i can see. He is not above criticism, just think he alongside Smith have been just as good at this level as they were last season. It does not help him though playing in a back 3, impossible for him to stop teams on the counter.

big wow Ipswich made 11 changes and lost!!! We all know we have a small squad but please lets not go over the top on Ipswich. They are a established championship club who have in the past received parachute payments when relegated from premier league. So think its unfair to compare us to them. Personally I wouldn't be very happy if my team made 11 changes to play man Utd away... Not sure mick McCarthy thought of thousands of travelling Ipswich fans.

big wow Ipswich made 11 changes and lost!!! We all know we have a small squad but please lets not go over the top on Ipswich. They are a established championship club who have in the past received parachute payments when relegated from premier league. So think its unfair to compare us to them. Personally I wouldn't be very happy if my team made 11 changes to play man Utd away... Not sure mick McCarthy thought of thousands of travelling Ipswich fans.

I'm not sure you see the point of my post and the discussion continued by others. It wasn't just Ipswich, Sheffield Wedneday we're loom able to make 10 changes to their side. The issue is where do we draw the line and stop saying "it's okay they're established or its okay they're bigger than us" and actually stand up and say hold on, we as a club, had a clear recruitment strategy outlined under the five pillars mantra and for whatever reason we threw it down the crapper chasing out of reach targets. 

What we are seeing is that the teams in this league that are still participating in the cup competitions have adopted something of a "premier league mentality" in that they treat even high profile matches against Man Utd as secondary to a Saturday championship fixture against lowly Bristol City. They were willing to rest and rotate key players to facilitate the best chance of obtaining maximum points against us AND we are not in a position to do the same. 

Indeed, we may be out of one cup competition but Cotterill has already started using the quick succession of games in this league as an excuse for tiredness impacting on our performances. I'm afraid he has no one to look at but himself and Burt for failing to ensure we have a squad size capable with dealing with the rapid pace of championship fixtures.

wins all the battles in the air from what i can see. He is not above criticism, just think he alongside Smith have been just as good at this level as they were last season. It does not help him though playing in a back 3, impossible for him to stop teams on the counter.

...and your opinion is fair enough.  I think he set high standards last season, that personally I think he's got nowhere near this.  I think that if he started bossing his centre forward it would be a catalyst to the confidence of the rest of the team.  Disappointed how he showed Blackman inside onto his left foot on Saturday, and how he also never got up his arse and pressured him on the ball.  Doesn't have to go through him, just be the physical, unsettling presence we know he can be.

We haven't been in the premiership for 13-14 years so certainly haven't got parachute payments, and our squad is worth around 500 grand overall, of course there are wages involved but we have a relatively small budget with a good squad, working with mostly free transfers or loans. Last season we made the play offs spending 110k.

We haven't been in the premiership for 13-14 years so certainly haven't got parachute payments, and our squad is worth around 500 grand overall, of course there are wages involved but we have a relatively small budget with a good squad, working with mostly free transfers or loans. Last season we made the play offs spending 110k.

£110k in transfer fees but your wage budget will be at least double ours. You must have players on 15/20 k a week. 13/14 years ago but you receive payments for 3 years following. This has enabled you to become a established championship team. Financially your in a different league. What you going to do with the £8 million you got for mings?

£110k in transfer fees but your wage budget will be at least double ours. You must have players on 15/20 k a week. 13/14 years ago but you receive payments for 3 years following. This has enabled you to become a established championship team. Financially your in a different league. What you going to do with the £8 million you got for mings?

We fell into administration shortly after we were last in the premiership and we are currently in about 80 million pound debt. I can't see us having any players for that sort of wage, we got rid of most of our high earners like JET, Chopra, Taylor. I think financially compared to most teams ie. derby, middlesborough etc. would blow you guys out the water, however you evidently had a lot of money to spend with your offer for Gayle, we certainly don't have the finances to spend 6 million on one player. The Mings money will do the same as we did for the Aaron Cresswell money, spend some on wages and keep the rest to help us towards our debt.

Archived