IGNORED

Players Wages

Big Red Rich

There has been so many figures mentioned. From some people insisting Tony Thorpe was on £10k to Aaron Brown on only £500 p/w.

What do we reckon players are on? I reckon the highest paid player was Peacock on about £1500 p/w + bonuses.

Lowest regualar first-teamer: maybe Woody on about £600. What do you reckon?

I think players wages should be a matter between them and the club and not the subject of idle speculation.
I agree up to a point in that what someone earns is their busisness, but in a sense we, the fans, are paying a significant propotion of their wages, and it's not exactly unusual for players wages to be openly bandied about in the prem, etc.

• Admin
Ok if Carey wants an improved contract how much is he on?
I doubt Carey expects an improved contract, I suspect the offer he has been made is much lower than he was on last season and he is just after getting to a figure closer to last season's amount.

I have it on good authority that Leapy was our highest earner last season - on £2,200 per week, although I would have though that Scotty would be close to that on his return and probably Tinman as well.

First teamers start on about £1000 per week I think

I heard the 2.2k figure for Leapy too. Was also told that the contract offered to him this time was exactly half. Not sure if this is correct.

I know that no matter what you earn, you would be unlikely to accept this wouldn't you? :grr:

Peacocks on 2500 - 3000 a week
Yeah that probably includes appearance and goal bonuses. I heard his new contract was offered at £900 per week plus bonuses, which is a hefty cut, but what is he likely to command at other clubs, his goals record won't do him any favours in negociations will it ? From things that Tinman has said I seriously doubt we'll see him at the gate again.

My biggest nightmare, last game of the season, for automatic promotion, we need a draw away at Hull, last minute they hang a corner up at the far post, and who heads it in, with his first touch after coming on as sub in the 90th Minute ??

:grr:

• Admin
Yeah that probably includes appearance and goal bonuses. I heard his new contract was offered at £900 per week plus bonuses, which is a hefty cut, but what is he likely to command at other clubs, his goals record won't do him any favours in negociations will it ? From things that Tinman has said I seriously doubt we'll see him at the gate again.

My biggest nightmare, last game of the season, for automatic promotion, we need a draw away at Hull, last minute they hang a corner up at the far post, and who heads it in, with his first touch after coming on as sub in the 90th Minute ??

Ben Burgess?

The average wage / turnover ratio for League football clubs is 73% in 2003. So for every pound that the club makes 73% goes to the footballers and staff. Everything you buy, 3/4 of it goes to the footballer, even the pies!

If it is not in our interest to know how much people get paid then I don't know what is. In no other type of business would this happen!

Edit: Source http://www.sportsconsulting.co.uk/publicat...2003release.pdf

• Admin

If I were Carey, I'd be pointing out that he was part of the best defence in the division and 2nd best in the entire football league. Also a member of the divisional team which says a lot.

To be offered a drop in salary is tantamount to saying "you didn't perform adequately", which is clearly not the case.

I have some sympathy with him if he has been offered reduced terms, but it the club want him, they could offer some incentives based upon performance which could satisfy both parties. I'd think that is what is being looked at rather than more dosh on the salary - same for all of 'em.

I don't believe his performance is being called into question just the fact that in just the last 3 seasons this club has amounted losses totalling more than £6m. Hardly in the position where we can afford to offer rises, or even continue contracts at previous levels.....

Tin man?

The fact is the world has changed, and what could have been viewed as affordable some years back now is not. Do not see that as a reflection of a players contribution, just supply and demand.

Presumably if the issue is we have a Div 1 pay structure (or is that championship pay structure?), then the simple answer is to say - this is what you get in this league, if we get promoted, heres a bnus, and heres what you would get in the new league.

Leapy himself quoted his wages as 6 figures so it was at least £100,000 per year, I think the figure od 2,200 per week is correct, with scotty (a much more deserving case in my book, probably close to it on £1,500 to 2,000.

The average wage is going to be around £80,000 a year, I know it is more then a lot of people earn, but the abilty to earn this only lasts for 15 or so years.

Hence M Stewart and co will be reluctant to drop their wage down to play for us.

• Admin
Leapy himself quoted his wages as 6 figures so it was at least £100,000 per year, I think the figure od 2,200 per week is correct, with scotty (a much more deserving case in my book, probably close to it on £1,500 to 2,000.

The average wage is going to be around £80,000 a year, I know it is more then a lot of people earn, but the abilty to earn this only lasts for 15 or so years.

Hence M Stewart and co will be reluctant to drop their wage down to play for us.

Especially when income tax on this level of wage is 40% then you have NI on top of that don't you? :grr:

Archived