IGNORED

Kodjia - our first high value asset?

ajs202

So, coming with our biggest fee for a while it's safe to say Kodjia was a risk.  He seems to be adapting well and scoring in an underperforming team who are leaking goals and have had their most creative midfielder out for 4 of the 9 leagues games, yet, our Jonny is the third highest scorer in the league.

Consider he carries on and is at 12 goals by the end of the year - how much is he worth in January should someone come in for him?  Have we finally got our own high value asset??

So, coming with our biggest fee for a while it's safe to say Kodjia was a risk.  He seems to be adapting well and scoring in an underperforming team who are leaking goals and have had their most creative midfielder out for 4 of the 9 leagues games, yet, our Jonny is the third highest scorer in the league.

Consider he carries on and is at 12 goals by the end of the year - how much is he worth in January should someone come in for him?  Have we finally got our own high value asset??

Yes all true, but any thoughts of selling him in January, well no,just no.

It does worry me that we only end up with an alright season and the likes of Freeman, Bryan and Kodjia attract a lot of attention. 

That would leave a massive rebuild of the team next season and a big problem in that we have shown we can compete already with fees so getting x amount for them wouldn't make a difference if we can't or refuse to compete at wage level.

I wonder if Kodjia has any mates from Ligue 2 he can recommend that we snap up...

If he scores 20+ this season surely he'll be worth £7-8m in the current market?

£6m minimum, it's what Aston Villa paid for Gestede, there have been higher fees as well so would like to think if he a great season we could be looking at £7m or so.

We have had saleable assets before (perhaps not with as much potential as JK from what I`ve seen of him) but it could be argued we`ve not managed them well with regard to maximising the possible profit. Maynard springs to mind (although I appreciate a lot of that was down to him) and going back, did we get as much as we ought to have for the likes of Akinbyi,  Jim Brennan, Darren Barnard etc. The signs we are beginning to get it right are there - Joe`s new contract looks like we are - so hopefully we`re learning from our past mistakes.

Started really well!! I have a feeling that he must have a minimum fee release fee in his contract. I'm guessing £7million?? Got to be some value for club. My fear was/is that basically if he have's a good season he will only be here for 1 season. Can't imagine he was sat in France dreaming of playing for Bristol city!! I think we will be his stepping stone to bigger thinks. Good luck to him. We will need his goals this season.

My opinion is that he has been a very astute buy who indeed could net us a few quid in the future (along with a few goals in the meantime). There must be some other gems out there as well.

Well you are in France get on it instead of supping wine in the Dordogne and being an arm chair critic. Honestly.

Just kiddin' me old mucker ;)

Looks like a Championship striker. Frankly if one of those multi million ones that fell over had signed, and playing like him, I would say you could see the difference in quality.

Never sure why we were in for Agard, Kod type strikers anyway, when if we are short up front it is the Wilbs one that needs cover.  Always a risk, but maybe our Swedish poster was right that for us the value is overseas.

Ol Jimmy danger will be gone at the end of the season to one of the promoted clubs if he keeps his form up. Hopefully we get around 8M+ should do us well if we stay up or go down. 

Doubt it, Lansdown won't accept that. He won't sell our best asset (if he keeps his form up) in time for the opening of the new AG unless the offer is genuinely mental.

brentford for example would have a price for him - moneyball. Lansdown is about making a statement and money isn't really an object.

We have had saleable assets before (perhaps not with as much potential as JK from what I`ve seen of him) but it could be argued we`ve not managed them well with regard to maximising the possible profit. Maynard springs to mind (although I appreciate a lot of that was down to him) and going back, did we get as much as we ought to have for the likes of Akinbyi,  Jim Brennan, Darren Barnard etc. The signs we are beginning to get it right are there - Joe`s new contract looks like we are - so hopefully we`re learning from our past mistakes.

Andy Cole was the big mistake. Keegan said in his autobiography that our board jumped at the first offer when Newcastle would have gone up to around £3m and that was big dosh back then!

And am I right in thinking we put no sell on clause into the deal too?!

Looks like a Championship striker. Frankly if one of those multi million ones that fell over had signed, and playing like him, I would say you could see the difference in quality.

Never sure why we were in for Agard, Kod type strikers anyway, when if we are short up front it is the Wilbs one that needs cover.  Always a risk, but maybe our Swedish poster was right that for us the value is overseas.

Never sure why we were in for Agard? He scored loads for Rotherham, he runs the channels, assists, and scores a few too. 

Someone should tell Cotts?

Ol Jimmy danger will be gone at the end of the season to one of the promoted clubs if he keeps his form up. Hopefully we get around 8M+ should do us well if we stay up or go down. 

Do you mean he'll go to one of the club's promoted to the premier league? If you think he'll be a premier league player then why wouldn't other prem clubs come in for him?

Personally I think he's adapting well to Championship football, steady progress but not yet ready for the div above. It would be great if we still had him next season...

Andy Cole was the big mistake. Keegan said in his autobiography that our board jumped at the first offer when Newcastle would have gone up to around £3m and that was big dosh back then!

And am I right in thinking we put no sell on clause into the deal too?!

That's not quite true, they offered £1.3m and it was rejected. It's never been detailed if that that first bid included one. For all we know the £1.75m bid could have dropped the sell on with the increased amount up front. Let's face it while he was good I don't think many of us expected a record breaking fee of £7m..

He's a great buy but not our first high value asset. We've had a few over the years, though "high value" is relative to the time in which they were playing - e g Andy Cole, Kevin Mabbut etc. 

Of course, Arsenal offered City £244k for Geoff Merrick and Tom Richie combined (yes £244k for both of them - not a typo). At the time it was considered a fair bid. 

Plus, don't forget John Atyeo. City could have received a big fee, for the day, if he had wanted to go. 

sweet lord. Why would you say that?

I was watching the incident that saw Messi sustain a ligament injury whilst posting. It got me thinking about how they can happen out of the blue sometimes (as Callum Wilson's did) and others they can be as a result of twisting or impact injuries. I really hope Kodjia stays clear of any of these potential incidents.

Archived