IGNORED

Women and Sport Research

theacademic

I do find these surveys very loaded and with a obvious agenda. I have no interest in women football or team sports of any kind, does that make a sexist of course not. I have no interest in soap operas or Justin Bieber but I don't get the media trying to shame me into liking them which is the case with women team sports.

I do find these surveys very loaded and with a obvious agenda. I have no interest in women football or team sports of any kind, does that make a sexist of course not. I have no interest in soap operas or Justin Bieber but I don't get the media trying to shame me into liking them which is the case with women team sports.

No it doesn't make you sexist at all. I don't have much interest in women's sports as such, especially those that have a 'female version' and I find it strange that I'm supposed to because I'm female. It's the same with comedy - why would I like a female comedian more than a man? Only if they are funnier, which is rarely the case eg Mock the Week, HIGNFY etc where they have to have a 'token female'. Ridiculous.

I don't think anyone would argue that not watching women's sports makes you sexist. I don't think there's any basis to your conclusion that the media are trying to "shame" you into liking it. They are free to report on what they like, just as you are free to like or not like as you see fit. I think it's good that the women's game has had more coverage since England's good showing in the summer. Should anyone begrudge them that? I don't believe so.

I think that if women's sports are going to grow - which I'm sure everyone will agree would be a good thing - it's important to get the views of people who don't follow them. Maybe if people are honest about what they don't like then improvements can be made and the relevant sports can grow further?

It's a survey to gather information for a study, not one of those Facebook quizzes that generates an arbitrary judgement about what kind of person you are at the end. You don't put your name in so how could you be judged sexist? 

As far as I can tell, the issue with women's sport is much more basic than whether or not the BBC are pushing the Women's Super League and starts at the very base of the grass roots- there just aren't as many opportunities for girls to play sport as there are for boys. In a society where the equality of men and women is enshrined in law, that seems a little crappy to me

I enjoyed the survey.  Though I think you yourself list the things that annoy me and many I know:

1. Don't compare it to men's football, it is way worse and I'm not sexist for saying so. 

2. Do I "want" to see more women in football.  I don't care.  it's not a yes/no.  For me (and i imagine most) I want the best refs to be at the top, the best sports marketers to reach the top.  I see no evidence that that is not the case.  Disgusting bigotry like the Rooney rule isnot the answer.  If a white man is a better candidate for a job than a black woman is then give it to the white man (and vice versa).

Done. But I got to add that I don't really like women's football, and that's certainly not sexism from me.

No problem if women want to play, infact the taking part is probably the best thing. Watching is a no from me, too much like a reserve match, little atmosphere and what there is is created by young kiddies with vuvuzelas etc. I guess I like the atmosphere of a football league match rather than a watered down or plastic variety.

Archived