IGNORED

Players who have surprised you .

Major Isewater

The thread " Nicky Morgan" made me think . He arrived very much under the radar, i did n't expect much of him but he became a key player.

i think we could put Wilbs into the same category of player. Unlike many players linked with City at the time no one would have shed a tear if that deal had fallen through.

which players have surprised you the most ?

One stands out, Robbie Turner.

Saw him in the Glos cup Vs a very young City team, and Paul Mardon pretty much had him in his pocket. 

He moves to Wimbledon then to us and I was completely underwhelmed. Saw his debut at Swansea, and I started to change my mind. Wish there hadn't been the incident that caused us to sell him. Loved him and Bob.

One stands out, Robbie Turner.

Saw him in the Glos cup Vs a very young City team, and Paul Mardon pretty much had him in his pocket. 

He moves to Wimbledon then to us and I was completely underwhelmed. Saw his debut at Swansea, and I started to change my mind. Wish there hadn't been the incident that caused us to sell him. Loved him and Bob.

Have I forgotten this incident?? Remember there was something in the tunnel with a New Years Day (?) game against Preston (?), or was there something else!?

Some occurrence in the tunnel, I remember a player coming out for round 2, sorry second half with blood on the front of his shirt.

To save FA charges a deal was done that we would sell RT. Jordan put a price on him that he thought no one would match, didn't work though.

At least that's how I heard it. Also heard he was in tears having to leave, real shame he was brilliant for us. Remember Turner/Taylor throwing their wrist bands into the crowd after games. 

When Paul Cheesely arrived  from Norwich (1974 I think), he looked slow, showed little skill, and generally did not look the part. We only paid around 30K for him and it looked like we has been ripped off.

By the time we started the promotion season of 75/76 he stared to raise a few eyebrows with his improved performances and that season he just got better. He was now much pacier, had developed a brilliant first touch, won most things in the air, and was now incredibly strong and had fantastic awareness.  Oh yes, he also scored goals, many of them with his head, for fun, culminating in the classic winner at Highbury in our 1st game back in the top flight.  He was also picked for the England under 23 squad.

Unfortunately a brilliant career was stopped in its tracks by a knee injury in the next game at home to Stoke. I personally don't think that the blame lies with Peter Shilton, it was a really unfortunate accident, Cheese fell awkwardly following an aerial collision.

Of course Paul has always been something of a fans legend, I wonder how many remember how underwhelming he was for the first part of his career back in his home town.

Some occurrence in the tunnel, I remember a player coming out for round 2, sorry second half with blood on the front of his shirt.

To save FA charges a deal was done that we would sell RT. Jordan put a price on him that he thought no one would match, didn't work though.

At least that's how I heard it. Also heard he was in tears having to leave, real shame he was brilliant for us. Remember Turner/Taylor throwing their wrist bands into the crowd after games. 

spot on with your memory and account of said incident - was a shame as he was excellent for us

When Paul Cheesely arrived  from Norwich (1974 I think), he looked slow, showed little skill, and generally did not look the part. We only paid around 30K for him and it looked like we has been ripped off.

By the time we started the promotion season of 75/76 he stared to raise a few eyebrows with his improved performances and that season he just got better. He was now much pacier, had developed a brilliant first touch, won most things in the air, and was now incredibly strong and had fantastic awareness.  Oh yes, he also scored goals, many of them with his head, for fun, culminating in the classic winner at Highbury in our 1st game back in the top flight.  He was also picked for the England under 23 squad.

Unfortunately a brilliant career was stopped in its tracks by a knee injury in the next game at home to Stoke. I personally don't think that the blame lies with Peter Shilton, it was a really unfortunate accident, Cheese fell awkwardly following an aerial collision.

Of course Paul has always been something of a fans legend, I wonder how many remember how underwhelming he was for the first part of his career back in his home town.

I remember my dads words after seeing him play in his first couple of games.... "we paid 30,000 for that? We could have bought a lampost for £300 and it would do the same job!" But as you say he came back after the summer (apparently having trained all summer under Alan Dicks supervision) and looked a different player.

The other one that I remember was Adam Locke who had spent most of his career in the lower leagues and arrived on a free transfer. He played in several positions and never let us down in any of them. We could have (and have done subsequently) spent a  lot of money on someone less consistent.

Shelton and Morgan have already been mentioned - great players.

Based on his first season, Flint's tremendous form last season came as something of a surprise - especially his goals tally capped off by that hat trick in the final game. 

Scott Murray was relatively low key for us in his first season (although there was that moment against the Gas when he chased the ball in what seemed like a lost cause and crossed for the Goat to score) before blossoming into one of my favourite ever City players. 

Bas Savage still surprises me but for the wrong reasons.

Goodfellow.

Specifically, that header. Never have I seen such a small man jump so high (it may well have been mere inches off the floor, but in my mind he was higher than the forthcoming new Williams).

Then, immediately after, Roberts not swinging his left peg and smashing it into row Z.

Surprising evening all round, that.

The biggest surprise for me has been Cotterill. I will openly admit I didn't think he was he right man for the job but thankfully he proved me wrong

I definitely shared your surprise.

Looking at this in reverse, Tony Pulis was shocking for us and then went on to much better things. Also, no matter what you thought of him as a player, who guessed that Johnson Jr would move on to be a half decent (albeit developing) manger?

Archived