IGNORED

Ten games in ,the true picture ?

Major Isewater

I think the true picture is we really are not that far away. I'd say most games have been very finely balanced and I don't think it will take much of an injection for the next 10 to be an almost reversal of the previous. 

However, without that injection I think it's looking bleak. Today alone could've been the catalyst if we kept the clean sheet. Instead I think that was extremely damaging to confidence, which is why I'm so critical of SC on today's tactical showing. 

After ten games, it looks like there are half a dozen really poor sides in this league, and we are one of them. The most concerning right now seems to be the lack of confidence in the players, and no way seemingly to shake it up. Early goal today should have settled us. 

Not down yet by a long way, but it is clearly going to be a season of toil.

Hardly adrift are we. 3 points from 17th. 

When teams are promoted they are normally battling to stay up, what makes us so special? We were never going to be a top end team this season despite walking league one.

reajust your expectations and you might just enjoy it a little bit 

I've been supporting City for nearly fifty years ,trust me i don't have high expectations .

When teams are promoted they are normally battling to stay up, what makes us so special? We were never going to be a top end team this season despite walking league one.

I think 7 teams in the last 10 years have come up and gone straight back down.  Not many is it? 

Hardlt are we. 3 points from 17th. 

What made Norwich so special? Why is a club like that with no where near the resources we have, able to achieve double success?

Btw, I am playing devils advocate incase it wasn't obvious.

yeah it's  bloody great being bottom

I think the fact is that we have a good league 1 side playing championship football.I got over the Reading game because they were a class above us but that today against an awful MK side is absolutely appaling.Little looks totally out of his depth and his marking was woeful and to compound it he lets the player come inside him without a challenge and watches him curl it into the corner. I thought we would strengthen in the summer but our lack of business is showing up our undoubted weaknesses.I'm trying to stay positive but that 2nd half performance drained it out of me.The last two home matches have bought home how hard this season is going to be and with the exception of a handful of players on show today the others are clearly not good enough at this level.

That argument doesn't really stand up though.  For a start , it's not true that promoted team normally struggle.  And League one champions certainly don't.  Of the last fifteen teams to come up, just two have been relegated - the exact same number who have been promoted - and the average position has been 12th.

if we stick to winners of League one, the average finishing position of the last five years has been seventh and the lowest finishing position of any winner of League One in the Championship over the last five years has been tenth.  So the idea this is normal and expected is simply untrue.  

Moreover, nobody expected us to struggle at the start of the season.  Pundits didn't, barely any fan on here did and I don't think the players, the manager or the board did either.  We are playing below anyone's expectations and that's a simple fact.

In other words, apart from the bit about us being 3 points from 17th, everything you've posted is sheer nonsense. 

That argument doesn't really stand up though.  For a start , it's not true that promoted team normally struggle.  And League one champions certainly don't.  Of the last fifteen teams to come up, just two have been relegated - the exact same number who have been presented) and the average position has been 12th.

if we stick to winners of League one, the average finishing position of the last five years has been seventh and the lowest finishing position of any winner of League One in the Championship over the last five years has been tenth.  So the idea this is normal and expected is simply untrue.  

Moreover, nobody expected us to struggle at the start of the season.  Pundits didn't, barely any fan on here did and I don't think the players, the manager or the board did either.  We are playing below anyone's expectations and that's a simple fact.

In other words, apart from the bit about us being 3 points from 17th, everything you've posted is sheer nonsense. 

well I'm going to try and enjoy it, it took three years to get out of league one I'm not ready to give up yet.

What made Norwich so special? Why is a club like that with no where near the resources we have, able to achieve double success?

Btw, I am playing devils advocate incase it wasn't obvious.

Norwich have had more or less consistent success for the last thirty years . They are a one team county ,let alone a one team city.

They have good crowds ,good facilities and have n't been the victims of a gypsy's curse . .

well I'm going to try and enjoy it, it took three years to get out of league one I'm not ready to give up yet.

Fair enough.  Enjoy it, by all means, but I'd suggest it's not correct to tell other people they're expectations are unrealistic when all we want is the club to be as competitive as past promoted teams have been, and as we expected them to be at the start of last season. 

Our summer recruitment policy is certainly being shown as completely inadequate.

Today, we are told it is really poor that we need to rely on one player, Korey Smith, by the man who could not find another holding midfield player as cover throughout the whole of the transfer window.

Our squad is just not good enough, in quantity or quality, evidenced by El Abd being on our bench again today.

Gary Johnson used to say review the performance in 10 match blocks. We've now played 10 matches and I'm reminded of what Morecambe and Wise used to say:

"What do you think of it so far? Rubbish!"

There are far too many players who can not play at this level and, unfortunately, Steve Cotts doesn't seem to have the tactical ability at this level. 

I was amazed that in May people thought we were good.

Last years squad was made up of very good league 1 players and a handful of average Championship players. When they all move up a level (2 if ypu separate the top 10 or so) it shows.

I was amazed that in May people thought we were good.

Last years squad was made up of very good league 1 players and a handful of average Championship players. When they all move up a level (2 if ypu separate the top 10 or so) it shows.

Does it show? I'm still very unconvinced. I admit I've not been away yet but over the course of the home games I really don't think we are that far away at all. 

The system we play has us dancing on the razor's edge. I still happen to think it's our best bet until Jan at least and I still believe we are unfortunate to only have amassed the points we have. 

I also believe we can still count ourselves unfortunate to only have amassed the points we have. Whilst MK Dons prevented us getting three points over them at home, and that is mightily disappointing, we should not ignore the significance of having done the exact same as the away side at Preston. 

The reality is that compared to last season we have a smaller squad lacking at least 1 Championship standard player, few with championship experience or perhaps even quality, a very decent forward from France as our only new signing of any note, the wrong choice as captain, a lack of confidence and momentum, and a pig-headed stubborn manager who cannot see what 14000 fans clearly see.

Something drastic has to change or we are guaranteed relegation back to League 1. The options are. the manager, the players or the tactics. Given the transfer window debacle we can't do much about the second one which leaves the other two, which steangely enough are closely related. If we want to stay up we will need to make changes before it's too late. And that means we need to assess where we are at the end of this month. If we are still bottom then I am afraid that SC has to go.

If we'd held on for one more minute today then we'd be six from the bottom.

I think we do have major problems though, our midfield strength is nowhere near the standard required, we rely hugely on one striker and we haven't looked consistently good enough defensively as a unit.

However Nathan Baker's performance encouraged me today and there are certainly five other sides of a similar standard to us.

If we can get better defensively and strengthen our midfield then we will at least have a chance.

The only issue with drawing conclusions after yesterday is it was an anomaly in our performances this season.

In my opinion before yesterday we've had 9 games where we have for the most part played well and not got a result, yesterday we did not play well (and that's being charitable) and frankly were flattered by the point, which is amazing considering we were a minute from winning it.

If the City from the 9 games shows up - bold, expressive, short passing and counter attacking - but tightens up at the back, we can be top half. If the City from yesterday shows up - nervous, slow, aimless, unable to string passes together or establish possession - we will go down.

It was heartbreaking precisely because it was the first time we looked like a team in trouble. And as others have said, the recruitment of players is to blame as we can't change it. It was Wilbraham and Bryan's worst ever games for our club, and Freeman was sketchy too. But who could you drop them for?

Whilst i agree and have been frustrated by how close we have been in certain games, you are what the table says you are.

I'm  surprised more of the older posters who have seen this scenario before aren't preaching caution at sleep walking into relegation.

I think the fact is that we have a good league 1 side playing championship football.I got over the Reading game because they were a class above us but that today against an awful MK side is absolutely appaling.Little looks totally out of his depth and his marking was woeful and to compound it he lets the player come inside him without a challenge and watches him curl it into the corner. I thought we would strengthen in the summer but our lack of business is showing up our undoubted weaknesses.I'm trying to stay positive but that 2nd half performance drained it out of me.The last two home matches have bought home how hard this season is going to be and with the exception of a handful of players on show today the others are clearly not good enough at this level.

How can Little be out of his depth playing against a fellow 'League One' team?

Also the difference between last season and this, apart from facing weaker opposition, is confidence. 

Last season we had it in spades plus we made our own luck quite often.

This season any confidence we had to start with has leached away & yesterday was the final straw. The body language of Flint & Fielding was really telling as both usually try to gee the others up after a setback. They looked broken men after conceding that goal. Plus we have given the worst opposition we have seen this season, who were on a run of 5 straight defeats, a massive confidence boost going into the international break. We have shot ourselves in the foot with our negative tactics & reminded me of the worst of the Johnson era with the Alamo at the end, inviting the opposition onto us & conceding a late goal to let a win slip. 

All very painful to watch!

Just thankful that we aren't cut adrift.  If we turn our form around, then we'll be mid-table and have a bit of breathing space.

I still believe the team has the ability to survive, but we desperately need to get out of the bottom three, just to save our sanity and restore some confidence.

It was about 4 seasons ago we had just 6 points from 10, we survived, but what worries me is the fact the squad is so thin now, this is a major cock up that could cost heavily, how on earth did we get in this situation where we can't fill a bench full of subs?

All the talk on here how the club can't manage the basics too, sure their will be teething trouble with the stadium, but I can't help but think somewhere along the lines that we have put team development second to the ground development.  

Archived