IGNORED

Can Cotts save us?

Randy Marsh

Relegation  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can you add another option, along the lines of "the great work and achievements since his arrival have put him in enough credit to be given far longer than 10 games before writing him off" 

How long do you leave it though? We've been in this situation before ten games into a championship season, we know how it ends. 

If he was recognising where were going wrong (playing with 10 men when Wilbs is on the pitch) or making the correct loan signings (dump Pack and get some actual steel in the middle) I'd agree that it could turn itself around. Just don't believe he's got it in him to accept he's got it wrong and change it. 

Too stubborn unfortunately. And it is unfortunate because there's not a single City fan who doesn't want the guy to succeed. 

Absolutely. Give it some more time to put it right.  I know many won't have this view but I believe that given what he achieved last year, he definately deserves the chance so he gets my vote. 

Like I said else where though, it would be good if he gave different tactics a go to see if it makes a change. 

Also, i'm confident action in the January transfer window will come good (as long as we change the last transfer policy and look at the quality from lower leagues who are eager to take the step up ;-)

Cotts situation depends on where we are before Christmas and the January transfer window. It's vital that even if we're in the bottom 3 we're still in touch with the teams above and not tailed off, or it won't make any difference who we sign in January. SO'D was sacked just before the window since the Board didn't trust him with their money, Cotts fate could be decided in the same way unless we're clear of trouble.

Cotts situation depends on where we are before Christmas and the January transfer window. It's vital that even if we're in the bottom 3 we're still in touch with the teams above and not tailed off, or it won't make any difference who we sign in January. SO'D was sacked just before the window since the Board didn't trust him with their money, Cotts fate could be decided in the same way unless we're clear of trouble.

Agreed completely.

If we're going to get rid then logically it has to be no later than mid-December, otherwise they simply have to trust him to sort it out and back him accordingly in the January window. They have form for not getting it right as well, i.e letting McInnes sign Liam Kelly then firing him a week later.

yes he can!!! Doesn't become a bad manger over night. Bit of a cliché but really think that we are a win away from a good run. Home form is crucial though.

While I agree with thhis I would also state that each manager has their level and maybe L1 is Cotts as he has never really achieved nothing in this division.

Of course he can save us... We need to back him in January and let him sign the players he wants to sign/wanted to sign in the summer. The board need to put right their mistakes which in the long run might cost them more than they were trying to save...

Just remember when SC said he was a winner and people laughed and ridiculed him... Well he wasn't wrong! 

Remember SC has never been relegated and I can't imagine he wants to start now! 

We need to take on the siege mentality where no one likes us, where we need to scrap for everything until and beyond the results coming and we will be fine!

Im that confident with SC in charge that we won't be relegated, that if it happens I will take a weeks holiday in Cam!! 

Sometimes it's the better the devil you know!! 

Save us from what? 

this sums it up for me. I don't think we've got to the stage where we need to be saved just yet. 

Things were alright after 45 minutes yesterday.   Everyone was happy. We've bossed enough teams this season and played enough good football for me to have belief in Cotts. 

I may be in he minority but I'm not going to start panicking yet. 

Of course he can save us... We need to back him in January and let him sign the players he wants to sign/wanted to sign in the summer. The board need to put right their mistakes which in the long run might cost them more than they were trying to save...

Just remember when SC said he was a winner and people laughed and ridiculed him... Well he wasn't wrong! 

Remember SC has never been relegated and I can't imagine he wants to start now! 

We need to take on the siege mentality where no one likes us, where we need to scrap for everything until and beyond the results coming and we will be fine!

Im that confident with SC in charge that we won't be relegated, that if it happens I will take a weeks holiday in Cam!! 

Sometimes it's the better the devil you know!! 

Whilst I agree with most of this, if the club / SC found it tough signing the players Cotterill wanted in the summer, doing it in January is going to be even more difficult. 

Nigel Atkins took Southampton from league 1 to the prem and was in a reasonable position when sacked some said that was a mistake but they went on to better things!

Sometimes managers take a club as far as they can within  their abilities when that happens you got to say thank you very much and goodbye! (I'm not saying we should do this yet) 

cotts hasn't really shined at this level yet and I'm not sure he has the ability too either! 

But I'd give a little more time to try and sort it out! 

He can save us, but whether he will depends on his attitude. He has become very rigid in how he wants the team to play, which is understandable after last season's success. However, good managers realise when a plan isn't working and change to plan B. What worries me is I feel that he hadn't even considered a plan B, so it's plan A until he succeeds or is sacked. 

Nigel Atkins took Southampton from league 1 to the prem and was in a reasonable position when sacked some said that was a mistake but they went on to better things!

Sometimes managers take a club as far as they can within  their abilities when that happens you got to say thank you very much and goodbye! (I'm not saying we should do this yet).

Brentford did the same thing with Mark Warburton and have just sacked his replacement after 8 games and are clearly much worse off without him. The Nigel Atkins example is very much the exception.

I think the halfway stage is when we can judge and if SL is determined that we stay up at all costs we might have to be very busy in the January window too.

How long do you leave it though? We've been in this situation before ten games into a championship season, we know how it ends. 

If he was recognising where were going wrong (playing with 10 men when Wilbs is on the pitch) or making the correct loan signings (dump Pack and get some actual steel in the middle) I'd agree that it could turn itself around. Just don't believe he's got it in him to accept he's got it wrong and change it. 

Too stubborn unfortunately. And it is unfortunate because there's not a single City fan who doesn't want the guy to succeed. 

I know that leaving it past January is a big gamble but given the debacle that was the first transfer window in the Championship (not sayinging or knowing who was at fault for that) I would like to at least see him get the opportunity to get some players in that he wants in the next transfer window. I would hope that as soon as the next window opens, we are straight in there with bids for players that have been scouted and enquired about before the window opens.

the other point I always consider before pulling the trigger on firing the manager is " who is available at the time?" I mean, should they get rid of Cotts now, name 5 potential managers who are available, with proven management at this level or higher.

That second half yesterday was atrocious. We surrender 70% of possession to MK and didn't have a single shot at goal.

At 1 nil up at half time a confident team would've come out against a struggling side and gone looking for a killer second goal, instead we sat back, invited pressure from MK and let them take pot shots at our goal for the final 30 mins.

SC s teams are usually pretty positive and like to attack but yesterday felt like a real change in attitude as he must have been desperate to get the win.

This to me is hugely concerning and if SC is starting to doubt is own convictions and principles then it could be the beginning of the end for him.

I've been to all but two games this season and I'm afraid I see little in the way of encouraging signs from the team or SC.

Whoevers fault it was this summer's lack of recruitment may end up costing SC his job as that's where the buck stops.  A similar points return in our next 10 games and cut adrift at the bottom would surely see him get the boot.

Difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel. This team primarily made up of last season's Champions seem to have forgotten how to win games.

That second half yesterday was atrocious. We surrender 70% of possession to MK and didn't have a single shot at goal.

At 1 nil up at half time a confident team would've come out against a struggling side and gone looking for a killer second goal, instead we sat back, invited pressure from MK and let them take pot shots at our goal for the final 30 mins.

SC s teams are usually pretty positive and like to attack but yesterday felt like a real change in attitude as he must have been desperate to get the win.

This to me is hugely concerning and if SC is starting to doubt is own convictions and principles then it could be the beginning of the end for him.

I've been to all but two games this season and I'm afraid I see little in the way of encouraging signs from the team or SC.

Whoevers fault it was this summer's lack of recruitment may end up costing SC his job as that's where the buck stops.  A similar points return in our next 10 games and cut adrift at the bottom would surely see him get the boot.

Difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel. This team primarily made up of last season's Champions seem to have forgotten how to win games.

Not undermining your points, but Kodjia had a great chance to win it for us right at the end. Might have been the only worthwhile shot in the second half though!

Absolutely. Give it some more time to put it right.  I know many won't have this view but I believe that given what he achieved last year, he definately deserves the chance so he gets my vote. 

Like I said else where though, it would be good if he gave different tactics a go to see if it makes a change. 

Also, i'm confident action in the January transfer window will come good (as long as we change the last transfer policy and look at the quality from lower leagues who are eager to take the step up ;-)

Why should we ' come good ' in January's transfer window when on the crest of a wave we failed dismally to add to our young ,inexperienced and meagre squad ?

The January sales when you buy what no bugger else wanted and at hugely inflated prices . The only clubs who buy then are those in the Brown stuff or those pushing for glory, an agents paradise. What great and prudent housekeeping that will be by the guardians of our club.

We had the best of League 1 players last year ,has n't done us a lot of good so far in the Championship.

If we're now relying on the Jan transfer window to come good.... then we're as good as down already.

During SC's relatively brief time here he has first steadied a ship in danger of capsize and followed that with an astounding first full season. At no time until now has he had a prolonged wobble where results have consistently gone against him. So he's got to grind out results and turn the losses to draws and draws to wins. I still think he can do this but I'm the same as anyone in that I can only take being relegation fodder for so long.

The problem of a new appointment is that there are no guarantees it will change anything as SOD so elegantly demonstrated and whilst the window is shut there is little a new bloke can do.

If our team as it is ain't good enough for the Championship then we're stuffed anyway and if they are good enough then SC remains the best option. I vote yes.

It's not just a question of how long to give SC, but could anyone else do much with this squad. The deficiencies are evident, the squad is far too small for the Championship, and there are far too few options for change. Mistakes have been made, and our main hope must now be that there are 3 teams worse then us (MK, Rotherham & Brentford?). No idea if a change would help or not, but whoever comes in would be carrying a can of polish to improve a trud.

Now, if JK picked up an injury......

Archived