IGNORED

time to get wade elliot out of retirement

tower crane red

Would have been a more solid choice to come on in CM yesterday than Robinson that's for sure.

to be fair to Robinson hes not a player who would be brought on to tighten things up. Hes a attacking player who we haven't given a chance to yet or seem able to get him in team

laughable to suggest a 36 year old wade Elliot would make our team any better. This is the same player who lost his place to Marlon pack 2nd half of last season.

I expect it's a moot point anyway but I don't think anyone would suggest bringing him in to be a regular starter. However there are some individual games where I think we would benefit from him, and perhaps also games like yesterday on the 60 minute mark to use his head to get us keeping the ball and relieve some of the pressure. 

As a direct replacement for Pack I agree with you, but I think our squad would be on the whole better if he was included and I think he could perform a worthy, admittedly limited, role if his body would allow it. I'm not so sure it would, or he could get up to speed in any case. But honestly I would question SC if he hasn't had that conversation with Wade. 

I expect it's a moot point anyway but I don't think anyone would suggest bringing him in to be a regular starter. However there are some individual games where I think we would benefit from him, and perhaps also games like yesterday on the 60 minute mark to use his head to get us keeping the ball and relieve some of the pressure. 

As a direct replacement for Pack I agree with you, but I think our squad would be on the whole better if he was included and I think he could perform a worthy, admittedly limited, role if his body would allow it. I'm not so sure it would, or he could get up to speed in any case. But honestly I would question SC if he hasn't had that conversation with Wade. 

we wouldn't be having this conversation if the summer spending would have happened a bit better. Personally its a bit desperate to drag someone out of retirement but saying that agree with you we lack experience.

to be fair to Robinson hes not a player who would be brought on to tighten things up. Hes a attacking player who we haven't given a chance to yet or seem able to get him in team

I wonder why he was signed. The team is struggling, yet he can't get a start, or a meaningful substitute appearance. Was it case of desperation by Cotts that he had to sign somebody, or stubbornness that he won't change the formation to fit him into the team? 

Not for me. He was struggling towards the end of last season. 

However the biggest mistake we made in the summer was not replacing him with an experienced Championship midfielder, or indeed with anyone at all as it turned out. 

Nail on head... as I've said on another thread we urgently need a leader in midfield to replace Pack and a more mobile CF who can hold the ball up to replace Wilbs. Leon Britton of Swansea, who is not getting any starts, would do very nicely in midfield.

Wilbs should be used the way we used Wade towards the end, ie for part of the game only. He can still give a decent 45 minutes but it's not fair to expect him to last 90 at this level now he's a year older. Might be better to start with Agard hopefully get 2 up then bring on Wilbs for the last half-hour. For Wade last season was one too many, eventually age catches up with footballers and their legs go.

Was Wade not good enough last season....or did Marlon come in and take his chance?

i thought the 3 of Smith, Elliott and Freeman was better balanced that when Pack replaced him, but Marlon played well, and we were much better than the opposition.

I think Wade's experience, assuming he maintained his fitness and a degree of sharpness would be extremely useful to have.  What a terrible habit to be able to keep the ball moving and pass it to a teammate....the main reason we surrendered possession and got forced back...rather than tactics.

in an ideal world, we would have gone out and got a younger version of Wade in the window.

as he's not kept himself first team fit, I see no way back for him.

cant understand  why he had to retire

we need a old wise head in midfield to marshall it and put his foot in when needed

let the likes of freeman and ried or pack do his running for him

cue the usual abuse when somebody  offers a different opinion

We need Wade Elliott minus about 5 years.. Ginger from Stoke or Nolan from wherever he is now or someone like that. Or someone from France on the rise but in their mid to late twenties. Although having said that we must ensure he gets stuck in.. they are about.

Nail on head... as I've said on another thread we urgently need a leader in midfield to replace Pack and a more mobile CF who can hold the ball up to replace Wilbs. Leon Britton of Swansea, who is not getting any starts, would do very nicely in midfield.

Leon is a Swansea legend having played in every division and a consummate professional. Would be a superb loan whatever the wages but much like when we almost got Gary Monk under SOD.....

it's probably a Severn bridge too far.

Archived