IGNORED

Defend from the front

Lack of Action Man

Sometimes in football it is said that a succesful team defends from the front - that is the two forwards must chase down, hassle and press the opposition to force them into mistakes. 

In recent times, we seem to have somewhat neglected this mantra. Granted, with footballing Mavericks like JET and Pitman you just don't get that style of play, but you know they may have a moment of magic in them to swing the game on your favour. However, now even with our paper thin squad it is entirely possible for us to defend from the front, by using Agard, Burns or Robinson as substitutes. 

Yesterday Wilbraham, and to a lesser extent Kodjia, were out of the game by 60 mins. They just weren't able to put themselves about enough to hassle the oppositions back line. With MK growing ever stronger in the game, that was the time to put a stamp of authority back into the match with the introduction of Agard or Burns up front. As it was, Agard was brought on far too late.

we need to start getting results and if we have to sacrifice style for substance for our next block of ten games, then fair enough. But for me, we need to utilise the pace of Agard from the first whistle, just so that we have someone who is constantly going to press and hassle the oppositions defence. We may lose the physical and possibly goal scoring threat of Wilbraham, but I believe we would be able to stop the opposition from finding a passing rhythm further up the pitch, which could reduce the strain on our defence. Moreover, when Agard burns out you have a like for like replacement in Burns, who with his pace is more than capable of unsettling some of the lesser gifted central defenders in this league.

Yes, it's a Sunday league tactic and yes it's a thankless role to play for the team but right now what will get us out of this rut is hard work and the willingness to go the extra mile for the team. The fans will always appreciate effort, and right now defending from the front will help us to create the siege mentality we may need to turn our form around. 

In the first half Wilbs and Kodjia split there defenders well and they didn't get much chance to bring the ball out.

In the second half both tired, Wilbs especially and Lewington started to get further forward. This meant Kodjia was doing even more work, and tired accordingly.  Had Agard, Burns or Robinson came on after say 60 minutes they could've taken some of the toil off of Kodjia, and he could've remained effective.

But the main problem yesterday was giving the ball away too cheaply. Need to take more care!

wilbraham did it in style last season, but i thinks he doesnt have the legs this season plus the tougher opposition hasnt helped him, you can see him blowing after 20 minutes, so kodijia does more and himself burns out quicker. With our current squad I would give agard a run, i have never been his biggest fan but he does the closing down etc,,, very well, but then you dont have the aerial ability wilbs gives you (well last seasons wilbs anyway) we need another striker, but midfield is a higher priority imo, either way we are in all sorts of brown stuff if things dont change somehow. 

Sometimes in football it is said that a succesful team defends from the front - that is the two forwards must chase down, hassle and press the opposition to force them into mistakes. 

In recent times, we seem to have somewhat neglected this mantra. Granted, with footballing Mavericks like JET and Pitman you just don't get that style of play, but you know they may have a moment of magic in them to swing the game on your favour. However, now even with our paper thin squad it is entirely possible for us to defend from the front, by using Agard, Burns or Robinson as substitutes. 

Yesterday Wilbraham, and to a lesser extent Kodjia, were out of the game by 60 mins. They just weren't able to put themselves about enough to hassle the oppositions back line. With MK growing ever stronger in the game, that was the time to put a stamp of authority back into the match with the introduction of Agard or Burns up front. As it was, Agard was brought on far too late.

we need to start getting results and if we have to sacrifice style for substance for our next block of ten games, then fair enough. But for me, we need to utilise the pace of Agard from the first whistle, just so that we have someone who is constantly going to press and hassle the oppositions defence. We may lose the physical and possibly goal scoring threat of Wilbraham, but I believe we would be able to stop the opposition from finding a passing rhythm further up the pitch, which could reduce the strain on our defence. Moreover, when Agard burns out you have a like for like replacement in Burns, who with his pace is more than capable of unsettling some of the lesser gifted central defenders in this league.

Yes, it's a Sunday league tactic and yes it's a thankless role to play for the team but right now what will get us out of this rut is hard work and the willingness to go the extra mile for the team. The fans will always appreciate effort, and right now defending from the front will help us to create the siege mentality we may need to turn our form around. 

I get sick of hearing how strikers should be playing because they do this well.  I'm more interested in what they do with the ball, like for example, scoring goals. If running around like a maniac up front is so important then let's sign Mo Farah on. 

I get sick of hearing how strikers should be playing because they do this well.  I'm more interested in what they do with the ball, like for example, scoring goals. If running around like a maniac up front is so important then let's sign Mo Farah on. 

I would agree with you if the quality of striker is such that their offensive contribution to the team is that significant that they are best used playing to those strengths. However right now we are a team struggling and as I said in my Post I don't think any city fan would begrudge the side going for a less attractive and more compact style of play as a temporary measure. 

Im not expecting AW to suddenly be able to perform the role I outlined- that's just not feasible. He's also not contributing enough to the team in an offensive sense to warrant his starting role. It seems logical at the very least to try Agard in the work horse role, with Burns or Robinson deputising from the bench, as we need to get ourselves out of this rut. 

I would agree with you if the quality of striker is such that their offensive contribution to the team is that significant that they are best used playing to those strengths. However right now we are a team struggling and as I said in my Post I don't think any city fan would begrudge the side going for a less attractive and more compact style of play as a temporary measure. 

Im not expecting AW to suddenly be able to perform the role I outlined- that's just not feasible. He's also not contributing enough to the team in an offensive sense to warrant his starting role. It seems logical at the very least to try Agard in the work horse role, with Burns or Robinson deputising from the bench, as we need to get ourselves out of this rut. 

I agree he's not so I agree should be dropped. Agard is the most obvious replacement and will no doubt work his gonads off, long term though he needs to produce with the ball. I not convinced he can at this level but hopefully I'm wrong. 

I agree he's not so I agree should be dropped. Agard is the most obvious replacement and will no doubt work his gonads off, long term though he needs to produce with the ball. I not convinced he can at this level but hopefully I'm wrong. 

I agree with you on this. Last season I was actually very critical of him because he seemed limited to being a good runner but at times lacking the footballing brain a good strikers needs. However, that work ethic and running ability is exactly what we need right now (imo), as his lack of end product with the ball currently is no more or less of an issue than Wilbrahams inability to produce - the difference being Agard really could get into the faces of the opposition defenders and also reduce the workload for Kodjia. 

I agree with you on this. Last season I was actually very critical of him because he seemed limited to being a good runner but at times lacking the footballing brain a good strikers needs. However, that work ethic and running ability is exactly what we need right now (imo), as his lack of end product with the ball currently is no more or less of an issue than Wilbrahams inability to produce - the difference being Agard really could get into the faces of the opposition defenders and also reduce the workload for Kodjia. 

That's a fair point. I can go with what you're saying 

A lot of posts saying Wilbraham is suddenly too old this season, legs gone, past it now etc.

Did something happen in the close season to suddenly transform his age and physiology over night rather than the more gradual change most people go through?

Perhaps it's Logan's Run and his crystal has changed colour. A few near the tunnel on Saturday may have spotted this and were clearly calling for him to be vaporised 

In the first half Wilbs and Kodjia split there defenders well and they didn't get much chance to bring the ball out.

In the second half both tired, Wilbs especially and Lewington started to get further forward. This meant Kodjia was doing even more work, and tired accordingly.  Had Agard, Burns or Robinson came on after say 60 minutes they could've taken some of the toil off of Kodjia, and he could've remained effective.

But the main problem yesterday was giving the ball away too cheaply. Need to take more care!

Exactly as I saw it. Codger was running for two! And with the midfield pulled so far back there was no link up to him or Wilbs anyway. 

I'd have brought on Agard for Wilbs at 60 minutes, and Wes for Joe shortly thereafter. People are saying Waggy is unfit, but I think he still could have done better than Little in the second half.

Above all, I'd have kept the forward momentum we had in the first half. The best form of defence is attack as any general will tell you. Sit back and say "come and have a go" and opponents will. And they will eventually score.

Archived