IGNORED

I Believe In Miracles, Forest v City 1981

Nogbad the Bad

Mentioned by Peter Shilton on the radio this morning while being interviewed about the new Brian Clough film and his all conquering Nottingham Forest team of the late 70's/early 80's.

Nottingham Forest v. Bristol City, F.A. Cup 5th round, Valentine's Day 1981, at the City Ground.

Struggling City, newly back in the 2nd division, and nose diving inexorably towards div.3, up against Clough's reigning European Champions. Kevin Mabbutt had put us 1 up before half time, a lead we held until the 82nd minute when Forest were awarded a penalty, scored by John Robertson.

Despite the disappointment we thought we'd at least take them back to Ashton Gate for a replay but then Ian Wallace scored a very late winner - at which point a group of Forest fans made themselves known, celebrating wildly right in the middle of the mass of City fans packed in the corner, but that's another story.

Impressive recollection from Shilton, considering he made 1249 career apps. but remembered the details of this particular match against City like it was yesterday. Talking about how they had returned from abroad on the Thursday, been knackered, but the character of the team assembled by Clough still brought them victory.

They were indeed a great team, and Cloughie - well, you couldn't help but love him, could you?

Looking forward to seeing the film.

Mentioned by Peter Shilton on the radio this morning while being interviewed about the new Brian Clough film and his all conquering Nottingham Forest team of the late 70's/early 80's.

Nottingham Forest v. Bristol City, F.A. Cup 5th round, Valentine's Day 1981, at the City Ground.

Struggling City, newly back in the 2nd division, and nose diving inexorably towards div.3, up against Clough's reigning European Champions. Kevin Mabbutt had put us 1 up before half time, a lead we held until the 82nd minute when Forest were awarded a penalty, scored by John Robertson.

Despite the disappointment we thought we'd at least take them back to Ashton Gate for a replay but then Ian Wallace scored a very late winner - at which point a group of Forest fans made themselves known, celebrating wildly right in the middle of the mass of City fans packed in the corner, but that's another story.

Impressive recollection from Shilton, considering he made 1249 career apps. but remembered the details of this particular match against City like it was yesterday. Talking about how they had returned from abroad on the Thursday, been knackered, but the character of the team assembled by Clough still brought them victory.

They were indeed a great team, and Cloughie - well, you couldn't help but love him, could you?

I remember the forest fans being in with us,not a sound until they scored and apart from ouch not a lot noise after either. 

I remember the forest fans being in with us,not a sound until they scored and apart from ouch not a lot noise after either. 

They'd even stayed incognito for the equaliser but then went berserk when the the 2nd goal went in.

Little more than a masochistic suicide squad really, great surges from all sides on that steep, packed terrace when they made themselves known, with enraged City fans pushing from all sides to get at them.

Even holding on to 1-1 and taking Forest to a replay would have been a brilliant result for City at the time, so the late winner, and Forest fans suddenly erupting in provocative celebration right amongst us wasn't exactly the ideal end to the game.

Quite an atmosphere that day. At half time, with City 1-0 up, the toilets were packed with jubilant City fans singing Drink up thee Cider at the top of their voices. The queue outside took over as the one's inside exited and so it continued for the full half time.

About the loudest and most sustained I've ever heard it - being in an enclosed space it almost took the roof off.

Just a shame about the last 8 minutes. 

They'd even stayed incognito for the equaliser but then went berserk when the the 2nd goal went in.

Little more than a masochistic suicide squad really, great surges from all sides on that steep, packed terrace when they made themselves known, with enraged City fans pushing from all sides to get at them.

Even holding on to 1-1 and taking Forest to a replay would have been a brilliant result for City at the time, so the late winner, and Forest fans suddenly erupting in provocative celebration right amongst us wasn't exactly the ideal end to the game.

Quite an atmosphere that day. At half time, with City 1-0 up, the toilets were packed with jubilant City fans singing Drink up thee Cider at the top of their voices. The queue outside took over as the one's inside exited and so it continued for the full half time.

About the loudest and most sustained I've ever heard it - being in an enclosed space it almost took the roof off.

Just a shame about the last 8 minutes. 

AH! The last 8 minutes, that could be our club motto , well maybe AH! The last 2 minutes. 

What I remember most about that game at the Forest Ground was the newly installed digital clock behind us in the open away end. I thought it had been stuck on 81 minutes forever!

Our previous visit was also memorable. We had a superb centre half that day. Joe Royle ended up in that position and headed every ball as if it was a goal attempt. 

What I remember most about that game at the Forest Ground was the newly installed digital clock behind us in the open away end. I thought it had been stuck on 81 minutes forever!

Our previous visit was also memorable. We had a superb centre half that day. Joe Royle ended up in that position and headed every ball as if it was a goal attempt. 

With JR it probably was a goal attempt.

i don't feel he got / gets enough credit for his time with us . He was n't prolific but ,like Jordan , he lifted the team when he played and was a good link man.

I will never forget his 4 goal debut against Middlesborough , big ugly tough Northern side demolished by his class and intelligence.

My only thought is that every time i saw him play i knew he was the replacement for Cheesely and that made me a bit sad .

Yeah remember it well.

I was standing right next to the Forest fans for the entire match who were often singing their own songs but I just thought they were pi$$ed until the penalty when it became clear they were Forest fans...That got ugly when Wallace scored!

For the record there seemed like nothing in the penalty from where we stood admittedly a long way from the incident and we played very well on the day, probably for the last time for about three years....I remember thinking that was all our fragile confidence needed!...Still the film will be great I am sure! 

Archived