IGNORED

The Official Champions v Nottingham Forest Match Day Thread

Robert de Vieuxpont was appointed High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and the Royal Forests in 1204 following his return from Normandy with King John. Normandy, Anjou, Maine and Touraine had been lost to the French and John needed funding to win them back so he removed many of his old Sheriffs with new, harder men, answerable to the Crown. Such a move by the King created a virtual dictatorship and by awarding land and castles to his own custodians he enraged much of the nation especially the Barons. In fact the Magna Carta of 1215 was a direct result of King John's loss of fair play. Robin Hood, of course, was the people's champion who lured the Sheriff's into Sherwood to 'relieve' them of their loot to re-distribute amongst the impoverished and is why he was a timely hero. Jonathan Kodjia's French connection with de Vieuxpont may only be hairline tenuous but if he illustrates a similar tenacity of purpose and Forest are as generous as Robin Hood City can turn the tide against the odds this evening.

Nottingham is one of those places that might, according to rumour, myth, legend and perhaps a little fact, be an outpost of the Elmet Kingdom; some of you may remember I wrote about the Elmet Kingdom in the Leeds thread and that it was an ancient Brittonic Kingdom emanating from Wales in the 5th to 7th centuries before being over-run by the all conquering Anglo-Saxon heathens that we are, largely, descended from today unless you hail from the outer reaches of these British Isles. That fact alone makes it rather odd that 45% of Scots wish for an independent nation from 'le Anglais' who are, in fact, quite French in make up and then they wish to jump further into bed with the European 'master's to whom massacred them in the first place. History is a fascinating subject that must be poured over in order to understand the nuances of modern day desires or become utterly puzzled for whatever motivates a nation to go in any particular direction.

Snotengaham, meanwhile, as Nottingham was once known was never conquered by the Romans even if the Fosse Way runs only a few miles to the south. And yes, they were indeed known as 'The Snots' or the 'Snotingas' so I am sure this name will now be engraved in all our lungs to sing some sort of bard forever more when we play them.. Get those lyrics flowing now :). There was nothing snotty about the place until the price of coal halved in 1796 when the Nottingham Canal opened linking it with Hull.

of course Nottingham is rather synonymous with textiles, lace and bicycle manufacturing as well as many legends not just Robin Hood, D H Lawrence, Alan Silititoe, Lord Byron and a personal favourite, Graham Greene - Our Man in Havana of course ;) - to mention just a few. It is in fact a literary feast of a place. It is also a centre of innovation with brands or names that just roll of the tongue such as Boots, Ibuprofen, The MRI Scanning Machine, HP Source and of course and as alluded to, the Raleigh Chopper. 

Now while none of these things are a natural recipe for a successful football team they were, perhaps, contributory factors why football came early to Nottingham. We all know Notts County is the oldest continually existing football team, Sheffield actually boasted the first team before United and Wednesday came along, but it was Forest who went on to be the more successful; with an FA Cup win at the turn of the 20th century and a second added in the late 50's Forest truly arrived when 'old big head' showed up at the City Ground in 1975. Consider firstly those two FA Cups in nearly one hundred years and then what one manager achieved in 18 albeit with a little help from Peter Taylor for those first 5 years:- First Division Title 1977-78; League Cup Winners 1978, 1979, 1989, 1990; Charity Shield Winners 1978; European Cup Winners 1979, 1980; UEFA Super Cup Winners 1979. They were also Runners Up in the FA Cup one time under Cloughie. The record is truly remarkable and that is why an average Forest fan can absolutely be forgiven for getting everybody bored to distraction talking about those days. I doubt they will ever see that again let alone in our lifetime.

Its a long way back for Forest especially when you have a manager that it appears most fans do not like very much but then Dougie Freedman has not been dealt a brilliant pack of cards since his arrival; grappling with a somewhat rigid transfer embargo, rather unpredictable owners, fans that I have already mentioned are undeniably very hard to please and now, tonight, in a match that they are actually expecting to win by a canter, by most accounts, is decimated by about 10 injuries or suspensions. Let us see if they can get Trotter over the line? Any news on that one?

We, meanwhile, are scrabbling around for a first win in many and with two new rather decent looking loan recruits need, merely, to pump our footballing chests out, inhale a huge dose of confidence, play our usual game and give the boys from Nottingham a damn good hiding. That would be very sweet. I am, as you know, the eternal optimist but surely, surely shirley, a win has to be tonight... am i going to go to sleep now, wake up and watch it? If City do not give me a win I will be mighty miffed if we go and blow it. 

So come on City... 2-0.. Kodjia and Cox.. why not a debut goal with a beautiful assist from that other new chap from Norwich.. Elliott Bennett. 

UTC.

Pack the Gate tonight lads and lasses and sing your hearts out please; and remember, the Snots are a rather polite bunch as a whole.. they mind their P's and Q's so lets thump em on the pitch.. more than 2 if possible.. but lets do it nicely ;)

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 14

Robert de Vieuxpont was appointed High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and the Royal Forests in 1204 following his return from Normandy with King John. Normandy, Anjou, Maine and Touraine had been lost to the French and John needed funding to win them back so he removed many of his old Sheriffs with new, harder men, answerable to the Crown. Such a move by the King created a virtual dictatorship and by awarding land and castles to his own custodians he enraged much of the nation especially the Barons. In fact the Magna Carta of 1215 was a direct result of King John's loss of fair play. Robin Hood, of course, was the people's champion who lured the Sheriff's into Sherwood to 'relieve' them of their loot to re-distribute amongst the impoverished and is why he was a timely hero. Jonathan Kodjia's French connection with de Vieuxpont may only be hairline tenuous but if he illustrates a similar tenacity of purpose and Forest are as generous as Robin Hood City can turn the tide against the odds this evening.

Nottingham is one of those places that might, according to rumour, myth, legend and perhaps a little fact, be an outpost of the Elmet Kingdom; some of you may remember I wrote about the Elmet Kingdom in the Leeds thread and that it was an ancient Brittonic Kingdom emanating from Wales in the 5th to 7th centuries before being over-run by the all conquering Anglo-Saxon heathens that we are, largely, descended from today unless you hail from the outer reaches of these British Isles. That fact alone makes it rather odd that 45% of Scots wish for an independent nation from 'le Anglais' who are, in fact, quite French in make up and then they wish to jump further into bed with the European 'master's to whom massacred them in the first place. History is a fascinating subject that must be poured over in order to understand the nuances of modern day desires or become utterly puzzled for whatever motivates a nation to go in any particular direction.

Snotengaham, meanwhile, as Nottingham was once known was never conquered by the Romans even if the Fosse Way runs only a few miles to the south. And yes, they were indeed known as 'The Snots' or the 'Snotingas' so I am sure this name will now be engraved in all our lungs to sing some sort of bard forever more when we play them.. Get those lyrics flowing now :). There was nothing snotty about the place until the price of coal halved in 1796 when the Nottingham Canal opened linking it with Hull.

of course Nottingham is rather synonymous with textiles, lace and bicycle manufacturing as well as many legends not just Robin Hood, D H Lawrence, Alan Silititoe, Lord Byron and a personal favourite, Graham Greene - Our Man in Havana of course ;) - to mention just a few. It is in fact a literary feast of a place. It is also a centre of innovation with brands or names that just roll of the tongue such as Boots, Ibuprofen, The MRI Scanning Machine, HP Source and of course and as alluded to, the Raleigh Chopper. 

Now while none of these things are a natural recipe for a successful football team they were, perhaps, contributory factors why football came early to Nottingham. We all know Notts County is the oldest continually existing football team, Sheffield actually boasted the first team before United and Wednesday came along, but it was Forest who went on to be the more successful; with an FA Cup win at the turn of the 20th century and a second added in the late 50's Forest truly arrived when 'old big head' arrived in 1975. Just consider those two FA Cups in nearly one hundred years and consider what one manager did in 18 with a little help from Peter Taylor at least until 1980:- First Division Title 1977-78; League Cup Winners 1978, 1979, 1989, 1990; Charity Shield Winners 1978; European Cup Winners 1979, 1980; UEFA Super Cup Winners 1979. They were also Runners Up in the FA Cup one time under Cloughie. The record is truly remarkable and that is why an average Forest fan can absolutely be forgiven for getting everybody bored to distraction talking about those days. I doubt they will ever see that again let alone in our lifetime.

Its a long way back especially when you have a manager that it seems most of them do not like very much but then Dougie Freedman has not been dealt a great pack of cards since his arrival; grappling with a somewhat rigid transfer embargo, rather unpredictable owners, fans that i have mentioned are undeniably very hard to please and now, tonight, in a match that they are actually expecting to win by a canter, by most accounts, is decimated by about 10 injuries or suspensions. Let us see if they can get Trotter over the line? Any news on that one?

We, meanwhile, are scrabbling around for a first win in many and with two new rather decent looking loan recruits need, merely, to pump our footballing chests out, inhale a huge dose of confidence, play our usual game and give the boys from Nottingham a damn good hiding. That would be very sweet. I am, as you know, the eternal optimist but surely, surely shirley, a win has to be tonight... am i going to go to sleep now, wake up and watch it? If City do not give me a win I will be mighty miffed if we go and blow it. 

So come on City... 2-0.. Kodjia and Cox.. why not a debut goal with a beautiful assist from that other new chap from Norwich.. Elliott Bennett. 

UTC.

Pack the Gate tonight lads and lasses and sing your hearts out please; and remember, the Snots are a rather polite bunch as a whole.. they mind their P's and Q's so lets thump em on the pitch.. more than 2 if possible.. but lets do it nicely ;)

He's making it up as he goes along .

• Like 7

Down Newquay for the weekend. Does anybody know of pub down here that's definitely showing the game? Been told in one that they only show 'big games'.

Is a shit hole but Walk about will probably show it on at least one screen. I watched us win 1-0 at Forest there a few years back when on a stag, had to ask but they put it on for me.

• Like 1

Now while none of these things are a natural recipe for a successful football team they were, perhaps, contributory factors why football came early to Nottingham. We all know Notts County is the oldest continually existing football team, Sheffield actually boasted the first team before United and Wednesday came along, but it was Forest who went on to be the more successful; with an FA Cup win at the turn of the 20th century and a second added in the late 50's Forest truly arrived when 'old big head' showed up at the City Ground in 1975. Consider firstly those two FA Cups in nearly one hundred years and then what one manager achieved in 18 albeit with a little help from Peter Taylor for those first 5 years:- First Division Title 1977-78; League Cup Winners 1978, 1979, 1989, 1990; Charity Shield Winners 1978; European Cup Winners 1979, 1980; UEFA Super Cup Winners 1979. They were also Runners Up in the FA Cup one time under Cloughie. The record is truly remarkable and that is why an average Forest fan can absolutely be forgiven for getting everybody bored to distraction talking about those days. I doubt they will ever see that again let alone in our lifetime.

Its a long way back for Forest especially when you have a manager that it appears most fans do not like very much but then Dougie Freedman has not been dealt a brilliant pack of cards since his arrival; grappling with a somewhat rigid transfer embargo, rather unpredictable owners, fans that I have already mentioned are undeniably very hard to please and now, tonight, in a match that they are actually expecting to win by a canter, by most accounts, is decimated by about 10 injuries or suspensions. Let us see if they can get Trotter over the line? Any news on that one?

UTC.

Condensed Version

Nottingham

A shithole that made Snot famous and Bryan Adams a rich man

• Like 2

Originally Posted by BryanRoy  
This.

Freedman to me is a bit of a 1 step forward, 2 steps back, manager.

We have played well in patches but even if we play poorly we should have enough to beat Bristol City. Considering in a season of rebuilding he isn't backing our own young players more and keeps on looking for loans I just hope we don't disappoint.

This game is crucial tonight. We need the win for confidence to get us on a run but we also need be positive because when you try to be to smart to close out games you end up conceding last minute goals and we have seen that so far with Dougie.

I started a thread about is our defence good enough and many people said yes it is plenty good enough. I had doubts. Especially when we set up to soak up pressure, I just think our defence lacks enough guile combined with commitment so will struggle when on the back foot.

Originally Posted by BryanRoy  
This.

Freedman to me is a bit of a 1 step forward, 2 steps back, manager.

We have played well in patches but even if we play poorly we should have enough to beat Bristol City. Considering in a season of rebuilding he isn't backing our own young players more and keeps on looking for loans I just hope we don't disappoint.

This game is crucial tonight. We need the win for confidence to get us on a run but we also need be positive because when you try to be to smart to close out games you end up conceding last minute goals and we have seen that so far with Dougie.

I started a thread about is our defence good enough and many people said yes it is plenty good enough. I had doubts. Especially when we set up to soak up pressure, I just think our defence lacks enough guile combined with commitment so will struggle when on the back foot.

Interestingly , for me in any case , i've got Wilbs down for a 90th minute winner !

could this be an omen and an amen at the same time ? 

I am disappointed nobody has mentioned the famous statistic that there are 271 women to every man in Nottingham.

This is true.  When I was at Loughborough University (just down the road) it was the opposite way around.  Sport and Engineering does that (or did in the early 90s).

• Like 2

I left Loughborough in 2011. We visited Nottingham a few times. There was indeed a disproportionate female to male ratio. 

I had a girlfriend back in my late teens, she was from Notts originally, so we'd go up there a few times a year to see her family - to quote the Inbetweeners 'wall to wall clunge'