IGNORED

"8 Minutes Idle" gas bias in media production?

Rich

Don't the rugby lot use Briss or Brizzle?? My daughter's called Laural.  Son's a gashead so I guess that means he isn't from Brizzle but is some random immigrant who can be treated with racist disdain.  On a serious note, if ethnic minorities were treated with the same lack of respect as City/Rovers treat Rovers/City then there would be some serious court cases.  At the end of the day we're all Bristolians and I would rather see City or Rovers shirts on the streets of this city than Chelsea or Man Utd etc.  I invite a serious comment on that one ... "It is better to see a Man Utd shirt worn by a Bristolian than a City/Rovers shirt".

Don't the rugby lot use Briss or Brizzle?? My daughter's called Laural.  Son's a gashead so I guess that means he isn't from Brizzle but is some random immigrant who can be treated with racist disdain.  On a serious note, if ethnic minorities were treated with the same lack of respect as City/Rovers treat Rovers/City then there would be some serious court cases.  At the end of the day we're all Bristolians and I would rather see City or Rovers shirts on the streets of this city than Chelsea or Man Utd etc.  I invite a serious comment on that one ... "It is better to see a Man Utd shirt worn by a Bristolian than a City/Rovers shirt".

I made it very plain to my son that he would not be allowed to wear another football league clubs shirt, other than a Bristol one, even if it had to be that scruffy shirt.  He subsequently had, Celtic, Barca, and Real shirts, but nothing that was in direct competition with our club. After all, why give money to those you compete with.

The point I was making in this post is that, somehow, Rovers manage to get a higher profile image of their club portrayed whenever there are references to football about this city.  I think there are many possible reasons for this but, the main one in my opinion, is that their supporters promote their club more vehemently than our supporters do, we are quite reserved aren't we?

I made it very plain to my son that he would not be allowed to wear another football league clubs shirt, other than a Bristol one, even if it had to be that scruffy shirt.  He subsequently had, Celtic, Barca, and Real shirts, but nothing that was in direct competition with our club. After all, why give money to those you compete with.

The point I was making in this post is that, somehow, Rovers manage to get a higher profile image of their club portrayed whenever there are references to football about this city.  I think there are many possible reasons for this but, the main one in my opinion, is that their supporters promote their club more vehemently than our supporters do, we are quite reserved aren't we?

that's because the more (relatively) successful you are the less people feel they have to defend themselves. I felt very defensive whilst I watched the game against West Ham in a bar full of Londoners, match against Colchester not so much, human nature.

that's because the more (relatively) successful you are the less people feel they have to defend themselves. I felt very defensive whilst I watched the game against West Ham in a bar full of Londoners, match against Colchester not so much, human nature.

Would that explain why they wear their shirts to the supermarket, or when photographed in the press?  You'll always see one of them somewhere, like at the airport at 6.30 am, why? If not to say "I'm a gashead", it can't be because they feel as if they have to defend themselves at those times, stay under the radar surely.

I just watched it on iplayer and was crap, in my opinion.

More importantly, what is the big blue line between posts 22 and 23 for?

I thought it was crap but I'll watch anything about Bristol, apart from the scruffy shirt wearers.

Can't see a blue line.

The author of the book is certainly not an outsider. I went to school with him. Very bright lad, ended up at Cambridge Uni. The book is about his first job at a call centre on Victoria Street. 

He certainly wasn't a sag. But he wasn't City either. Although at school, his 4 closest mates were all City. 

I think there may have been a bit of co-writing, or at least swapping of ideas, with StepI hen Merchant when he started work on The Office. Merch was also at the same school and they were good buddies. 

Samuel White's. 

I was there too. A bit earlier... 

Archived