IGNORED

Gillespie , Really!

GrahamC

Having read some thread which starts about Stephen Gillespie but then goes off at a tangent about Alan Smith, Man U, Everton etc, I thought I'd post one about our new signing.

Why? to dispell some of the myths on here about him.

Firstly he was NOT a prolific scorer in Liverpool's reserves last season, he scored just twice in 7 starts and 5 sub appearances, his goals were scored for their under 19s Academy side where he got (appropriately) 19 in 19 games, so that's presumably why they released him.

For us he has scored heavily against Third Division reserve sides which is really no test at all, Rovers reserves and yes, I saw the game, aren't even of Conference standard..

I read stuff apparently comparing him with Wayne Rooney and I suggest some people take a reality check, if the names of Scott Paterson or Rodney McAree don't mean anything to you, well they were signed by Osman when released from Liverpool and neither set the world alight for us and they didn't even play in the hardest position on the pitch, goalscorer.

At 19 there is a chance that Stephen might make it, and there is no harm at all in gambling on someone so young, but I'm willing to bet he'll be nowhere near the first team this side of Xmas some huge injury crisis up front notwithstanding.

Having read some thread which starts about Stephen Gillespie but then goes off at a tangent about Alan Smith, Man U, Everton etc, I thought I'd post one about our new signing.

Why? to dispell some of the myths on here about him.

Firstly he was NOT a prolific scorer in Liverpool's reserves last season, he scored just twice in 7 starts and 5 sub appearances, his goals were scored for their under 19s Academy side where he got (appropriately) 19 in 19 games, so that's presumably why they released him.

For us he has scored heavily against Third Division reserve sides which is really no test at all, Rovers reserves and yes, I saw the game, aren't even of Conference standard..

I read stuff apparently comparing him with Wayne Rooney and I suggest some people take a reality check, if the names of Scott Paterson or Rodney McAree don't mean anything to you, well they were signed by Osman when released from Liverpool and neither set the world alight for us and they didn't even play in the hardest position on the pitch, goalscorer.

At 19 there is a chance that Stephen might make it, and there is no harm at all in gambling on someone so young, but I'm willing to bet he'll be nowhere near the first team this side of Xmas some huge injury crisis up front notwithstanding.

About time this was posted. It's been bugging me for a while but didn't want to be negative.I hope that he is superb but doubt he will be 1st team next year.

What every happened to Scott Paterson? I thought he had a bit of quality or maybe that was just his hair!

• Admin
About time this was posted. It's been bugging me for a while but didn't want to be negative.I hope that he is superb but doubt he will be 1st team next year.

What every happened to Scott Paterson? I thought he had a bit of quality or maybe that was just his hair!

Paterson shares the same agent as McPhee and plays for Perth Glory down under

Colin Cramb scored 5 for the reserves against Rovers.Once upon a time a striker of ours went off to be Liverpools top reserve team scorer,Peter Spiring, he ultimately had a long and successful career fulfilling his potential with Hereford!

The hopes for Gillespie need to be guarded,indeed a recent thread on here gave an insight into Lee Matthews outstanding early career,yet his accomplishments to date in 1st team football are non-existent.

The one hope I have for the likes of Gillespie is that B.T. will do his best to give them opportunities and exposure within the 1st team operation.Youngsters certainly need to have faith displayed in them by the manager,Lita must be nursing some concerns through the close-season,while for Marvin finding the right manager is a real must.

I agree that we shouldn't label the lad with the 'Rooney' tag, and welcome the note of caution...BUT

Be careful you don't go too far the other way and do the usual City fans trick of criticising someone BEFORE they have had a chance to do anything (witness some of the anti-Tinman for Manager posts that are ALREADY apprearing).

Reality checks are welcome but some of the responses to the original thread are edging towards critical and that is unfair on the lad.

Keep it in perspective works BOTH ways everyone

Guest bristollionheart

As for Gillespie, I have seen him play for Liverpool reserves and the one thing that stood out about him was his work-rate, I don't think he looked very skillful, but he closed down defenders very fast at every opportunity, he never stopped running and just capitalised on any mistakes, apart from that he didn't look very good.

As for Gillespie, I have seen him play for Liverpool reserves and the one thing that stood out about him was his work-rate, I don't think he looked very skillful, but he closed down defenders very fast at every opportunity, he never stopped running and just capitalised on any mistakes, apart from that he didn't look very good.
Just like bloody Peacock...all pointless effort then!! Just what we need!

Guest bristollionheart

Yeah, and because he's an unknown quantity and we need a better first few months than last season, it might be an idea to send him out on loan or something, because he isn't proven and we need proven players to guarantee a better first few months than last season. Gillespie maybe a gem, but then again he may not be, if he is a gem it remains to be seen and their is plenty of time for him to get opportunities to show us what he's made of later on in the season (league cup maybe).

Archived