IGNORED

Defensive striker?

Port Said Red

Just going of the crap I have heard spouted since day 1 on several general footy forums I go on. General feeling in both L1 and Championship is that he is a poor manager. I remember at the start of last season in L1 a lot of fans saying he would be our weak link.

The same has been said about us this season as well. Only time will tell but so far on this season they could end up being proved right with how he has struggled in the transfer market and the moaning about money then putting a 7m bid into Brentford and how we have struggled in defence this season. These are the points they are arguing.

Same here...but I think the ironic cheering is not aimed at Wilbs, but at SC actually making the substitution at last. Poor bloke is being worked liked a friggin donkey.

As you will notice when at the games, in the second half, when Wilbs is tired, he is unable to hold play up and link play....often losing the ball because of a bad first touch.

This then leads to another attack. Our midfield and defence who had moved up to support Wilbs are now having to back track. Often the ball goes out wide behind our wing backs as they have moved up expecting Wilbs to hold or link a pass.

The problem solely lies from here. If we had someone who could replace Wilbs on 70 mins,...and do his job,  then i'm sure things would be different.

Couldn't agree more and has been my point for a long time. At that stage of a game all you want is someone to hold it up and get you something, sadly this doesn't happen when wilbs is up there. Think that is a key place to bolster in January

Just going of the crap I have heard spouted since day 1 on several general footy forums I go on. General feeling in both L1 and Championship is that he is a poor manager. I remember at the start of last season in L1 a lot of fans saying he would be our weak link.

The same has been said about us this season as well. Only time will tell but so far on this season they could end up being proved right with how he has struggled in the transfer market and the moaning about money then putting a 7m bid into Brentford and how we have struggled in defence this season. These are the points they are arguing.

Crap is the right word. Jealousy of our success under him last season may be one of the reasons.

It's no more than a few fans from his former clubs who simply don't like Cotterill, and you will always get that personal dislike of previous managers from a section of fans at all clubs. Look at the dislike of GJ from some on here.

'A poor manager'? His record shows different, including becoming the longest serving Championship manager whilst at Burnley.

I've seen one of the forums you refer to and some of the comments from rival fans on there about SC have been so bitter and ignorant they're really not worth giving the time of day to, and certainly not worth giving any credence to on here.

'These fans said at the start of last season in L1 he would be our weak link'? Laughable, and proven overwhelmingly to be BS, and if you're representing BCFC on there I trust you have no hesitation in putting them straight.

Whatever way you look at it SC has been a tremendous success at City, and from his previous record in the Championship there's every reason to have confidence he will steady the ship this season.

A few embittered w*****s like those you refer to putting the boot into City and Cotterill on a national football forum are really not difficult to counter with facts.

If you've a mind to, that is.

SC has also said that he's been playing Wilbs to help Kodjia while he settles in.

Once Kodjia is comfortable with his team mates and vice-versa, has better communication with the rest of the team and is confident in his performances, I think we could start playing without Wilbraham a little more. Kodjia played as a lone striker in France and he could do so again, or alongside one of the other strikers. The good news is that he seems to be settling in nicely and has been performing well and scoring goals.

If Kodjia had been stuck up front on his own from the start we'd be looking at a new striker moving to a foreign country where he doesn't know anyone or speak the language, stuck up front on his own, playing a tactic that the team never played before against some very tough and experienced defenders. It could easily have left him isolated, struggling, lacking in confidence and likely as not scapegoated for the inevitable lack of goals. A £2m striker could have been rendered useless in a matter of weeks.

As an ever-present this season, I'm quite happy with the way Kodjia has settled into the side and playing, aside from some of his shot placements when through on goal. And I'd be very happy for SC to delegate the responsibility for the second striker role, to one of; Cox, Agard, Burns, or Robinson.

I mean, SC will never know if he doesn't try will he?

I was getting on Wilbraham's back, wondering why Cotterill persisted with him, then he scored 2 against Forest. I've shut my mouth since then.

Him scoring two against Forest hasn't changed my opinion. His general play in the 2nd half of that game was poor and he was poor on Tuesday in my opinion. Personally think Cox has to be given a start!

I agree to a certain extent, my ideal scenario would be Ronison in the whole hewing Kodjia, playing to his strengths. Agard really isn't quick at all, quicker than Wilbs but no wes Burns.

Cox has been brought in to so a job, not get blisters on is arse, I think he will be an eventual replacement for so someone, could well be Wilbs even if it's just for 20 minutes!

Him scoring two against Forest hasn't changed my opinion. His general play in the 2nd half of that game was poor and he was poor on Tuesday in my opinion. Personally think Cox has to be given a start!

As the second half wore on you could see that Wilbs was less and less capable of closing down their defence. As a result they were able to play out from the back without much of problem and with that were able to increase the pressure on our defence. 

Last season Agard and Wilbs, as a unit , were great at closing down opposition defences , making it difficult for them to play out so that we were able to pay more in the opposition half. If Wilbs can't do this beyond 60 minutes then why not get Agard on, as he can hold the ball up and together with Kodjia would certainly close defences down much better - Agard it much better at harrying defenders than Wilbraham.. Also with those 2 on towards the end of a game, the opposition would have to keep their defence deeper to counter Agard and Kodjia's pace. 

SC might see Wilbs as a valuable defensive striker because he helps with set pieces, but this is negated if his lack of mobility after an hour means that it is easier for the opposition to build pressure on us from the back. How many reports have I read this season where we drop deeper and deeper as the second half unfolds. I don't think it is because the players are under instructions to do this, but because we just can't keep them penned in their half, only  because we don't have both strikers physically able to sustain the pressure on their defence - Kodjia can't do this on his won.

Wilbraham still has a lot to offer - just not for 90 minutes and in every game. 

As the second half wore on you could see that Wilbs was less and less capable of closing down their defence. As a result they were able to play out from the back without much of problem and with that were able to increase the pressure on our defence. 

Last season Agard and Wilbs, as a unit , were great at closing down opposition defences , making it difficult for them to play out so that we were able to pay more in the opposition half. If Wilbs can't do this beyond 60 minutes then why not get Agard on, as he can hold the ball up and together with Kodjia would certainly close defences down much better - Agard it much better at harrying defenders than Wilbraham.. Also with those 2 on towards the end of a game, the opposition would have to keep their defence deeper to counter Agard and Kodjia's pace. 

SC might see Wilbs as a valuable defensive striker because he helps with set pieces, but this is negated if his lack of mobility after an hour means that it is easier for the opposition to build pressure on us from the back. How many reports have I read this season where we drop deeper and deeper as the second half unfolds. I don't think it is because the players are under instructions to do this, but because we just can't keep them penned in their half, only  because we don't have both strikers physically able to sustain the pressure on their defence - Kodjia can't do this on his won.

Wilbraham still has a lot to offer - just not for 90 minutes and in every game. 

Indeed. To be honest, I think that SC's biggest weakness in general is how slow he is to make substitutions.  It wasn't too much of an issue last season because of how well we were doing but I do think it does have a big impact on our second half performances and contribute to our conceding late and this is a really good example of that. 

I agree to a certain extent, my ideal scenario would be Ronison in the whole hewing Kodjia, playing to his strengths. Agard really isn't quick at all, quicker than Wilbs but no wes Burns.

Cox has been brought in to so a job, not get blisters on is arse, I think he will be an eventual replacement for so someone, could well be Wilbs even if it's just for 20 minutes!

Robinson instead of Reid?

Same here...but I think the ironic cheering is not aimed at Wilbs, but at SC actually making the substitution at last. Poor bloke is being worked liked a friggin donkey.

As you will notice when at the games, in the second half, when Wilbs is tired, he is unable to hold play up and link play....often losing the ball because of a bad first touch.

This then leads to another attack. Our midfield and defence who had moved up to support Wilbs are now having to back track. Often the ball goes out wide behind our wing backs as they have moved up expecting Wilbs to hold or link a pass.

The problem solely lies from here. If we had someone who could replace Wilbs on 70 mins,...and do his job,  then i'm sure things would be different.

Spot on... a tired Wilbs is unable to get a hold of the ball, so clearances to him are easily picked off by the opposition defence and the ball then comes straight back at us before our defence & midfield have had the chance to push up. This is partially at least the reason we end up sitting deeper & deeper in the second half. Whatever help Wilbs brings to defending set-pieces pales into insignificance compared with handing the opposition the initiative because we can't hold the ball up front and relieve pressure.

Want to stress not having a go at Wilbs, I appreciate he gives his all, just at 36 he cannot last the pace. Cotts needs to wake up and smell the coffee on this one -  whether by starting with Cox/Agard and bringing Wilbs on after 60 mins, or starting with Wilbs and bringing on Cox/Agard/Burns with 30 mins to go - either option could work, flogging Wilbs to death is clearly not working.

Archived