IGNORED

Unlucky Dongs !

Major Isewater

Not quite - on the basis that goal difference is identical, the next differentiator is goals scored - us having scored 15 and them 12.

If everything is identical, then no, you cannot get relegated on the basis of the alphabet. It comes down to a play off match I believe, although not aware it has ever been needed.

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Not quite - on the basis that goal difference is identical, the next differentiator is goals scored - us having scored 15 and them 12.

If everything is identical, then no, you cannot get relegated on the basis of the alphabet. It comes down to a play off match I believe, although not aware it has ever been needed.

Thank you for your reply .

Fuller answer now I have looked it up:

The teams are ranked in the league table by points gained, then goal difference, then goals scored and then their head-to-head record for that season. In the event that two or more teams finish the season equal in all these respects, teams are 'tied', unless a promotion, relegation or play-off place is at stake, when the teams are separated by a play-off game.

This last situation has never arisen in all the years the rule has existed

57 minutes ago, cityexile said:

The teams are ranked in the league table by points gained, then goal difference, then goals scored and then their head-to-head record for that season. In the event that two or more teams finish the season equal in all these respects, teams are 'tied', unless a promotion, relegation or play-off place is at stake, when the teams are separated by a play-off game.

Though these days you receive prize money based upon your position.

So if us and the Dongs were entirely identical but in 14th and 15th place then would we get the 14th place money, would we have a game to decide it, or would the money be split?

Either way the season end table would show us above them.

Generally a hypothetical point I grant you but if it was Bristol Rovers it would be a bigger issue.

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

so in that case if it was 2 teams in the playoffs, there could be a pre playoff playoff match to decide who plays who in the playoffs

Archived