IGNORED

Changes for tuesday

MC RISK77

I hope Baker is fit.  Steadying influence on the back line.

I would start with Cox ahead of Wilbs on Tuesday.  If Wilbs plays Tuesday, then I think he would need a rest v Bolton....and I think Bolton is his type of game from what I saw on telly tonight.

Cotts probably needs to show a bit more faith in the 'squad'.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hope Baker is fit.  Steadying influence on the back line.

I would start with Cox ahead of Wilbs on Tuesday.  If Wilbs plays Tuesday, then I think he would need a rest v Bolton....and I think Bolton is his type of game from what I saw on telly tonight.

Cotts probably needs to show a bit more faith in the 'squad'.

Yes, Baker's absence was really apparent today. We have looked much more solid with him in the team.

3 minutes ago, Offside said:

Yes, Baker's absence was really apparent today. We have looked much more solid with him in the team.

It's funny, because v Cardiff, I was really worried when he went off injured, but it didn't seem to affect.  Yet today, his calming influence was massively missed.

Pretty confident the same thing as today will happen against Wolves unless Baker is back and/or Moore replaces Flint. Although Moore's lack of match fitness might be a problem too. 

Wilbs having a break would probably help too, but that's a bit of a case of :grr:

4 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Pretty confident the same thing as today will happen against Wolves unless Baker is back and/or Moore replaces Flint. Although Moore's lack of match fitness might be a problem too. 

Wilbs having a break would probably help too, but that's a bit of a case of :grr:

Moore for Flint!? Who plays central defender of the three? Can't people see that Flint was playing like the only centre back today, any no nonsense lump of a centre back would have found it impossible with Ayling and Williams playing like full backs alongside them.

Given that today Cotts had ideal opportunity to change things at HT, like giving Cox or Agard 45 mins in place of Wilbs, and he chose to change nothing until very late on (again)... think we can be pretty sure only change on Tuesday will be the return of Baker, Williams to LWB and Bryan to the bench.

Personally would like to see Hamer recalled and Cox or Agard start in place of Wilbs, but won't happen.

14 minutes ago, Jonbristol said:

Moore for Flint!? Who plays central defender of the three? Can't people see that Flint was playing like the only centre back today, any no nonsense lump of a centre back would have found it impossible with Ayling and Williams playing like full backs alongside them.

I get your point regarding his isolation but he's looking very clumsy recently and lacking in confidence, even in the recent games where we've played better. Against quick, sharp attackers like Wolves have he is in big trouble, I think he could do with a rest, particularly if Baker is back. 

21 minutes ago, Jonbristol said:

I thought Williams had a decent game today...all our probs came down our right.

Regarding Flint, watching the Cardiff game he fell asleep twice, one being the Ameobi miss....

i said it in the Nathan Baker thread earlier in the week, no doubting is heading ability but I worry that he perhaps isn't quite good to enough to be a certain starter every week....especially when you have someone as highly rated as Moore on the bench.

Williams was ok but struggled with his decision making when having the ball at his feet.

Either way the only change I can see SC making is dropping Bryan with Baker coming in assuming he is fit...shame because it would b interesting to see Kodjia upfront with Asgard.

Team for Tuesday

Hamer

Bennett           Moore          Flint           Baker          Williams 

Ayling              Smith 

r                                   Freeman 

Kodjia             Cox 

Subs Fielding Little Bryan Reid Pack Willbraham Agard  

If Cotterill keeps on with the stubborn 'I won't change out style' stuff, I fear only 1 change and I don't think it's far away TBH. The guy doesn't deserve it but if we can see it doesn't work at home and Championship quality sides can pick us off, why can't he?

7 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Have some faith ffs you people

we might be a bit naive but we ain't completely rubbish 

Faith is all well and good. No , we are not rubbish, and the away games have proven we can keep it fairly tight. 

This is where the problem lies, or at least part of it. At home we have been too gung ho, attacking with 10 players, not with any thought or craft but as soon as we get the ball bomb forward. Yesterday they probed the right back area twice before they scored, in the first two minutes you could see it coming. We have been found out, Leeds showed that perfectly, but Cott's will not change.

The Championship is better now than the last time we were here, you have to have a plan B, options to change if things aren't working. At the moment SC's stubbornness is potentially costing us.

Whatever we think or say , one person will call the shots. SL will not, can not afford to watch us slowly decsend  into a relegation battle if he can help it. I think a month or so will seal Cott's future, one way or another.

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Faith is all well and good. No , we are not rubbish, and the away games have proven we can keep it fairly tight. 

This is where the problem lies, or at least part of it. At home we have been too gung ho, attacking with 10 players, not with any thought or craft but as soon as we get the ball bomb forward. Yesterday they probed the right back area twice before they scored, in the first two minutes you could see it coming. We have been found out, Leeds showed that perfectly, but Cott's will not change.

The Championship is better now than the last time we were here, you have to have a plan B, options to change if things aren't working. At the moment SC's stubbornness is potentially costing us.

Whatever we think or say , one person will call the shots. SL will not, can not afford to watch us slowly decsend  into a relegation battle if he can help it. I think a month or so will seal Cott's future, one way or another.

Couldn't agree more.

Ayling in particular is far too often in front of the ball and with the speed that the better sides counter attack we are being caught out too often.

Whether we change formation or not we need to tighten up.

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Cotterill did great work last year and will always have our thanks for that but we have to hope that he can change…if he's to stay. I don't know who line manages him in the City set up but words need to be had. Yesterday was shockingly poor, we were completely out thought. If you listen to Kit Symons interview on the BBC website it's clear they'd done their homework…and didn't he have Curbishley helping him on the touchline yesterday? Men against boys?

Baker for Bryan if fit, if not, Little in. I'm going to be a tad over-critical/ honest, but look at Yesterday's subs. Both Hamer and Moore have not been good when played, Cox looks unfit, Reid disappears from games too often, Burns does not really suit the formation, manager does not seem to have faith in Agard, and there is also Robinson, who may be injured, if not has disappeared. But hardly improved the team when he has played. 

Sad fact is that the squad is pretty poor for Championship level, and as much as anything, it's the energy and commitment that gives us a fighting chance.

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Couldn't agree more.

Ayling in particular is far too often in front of the ball and with the speed that the better sides counter attack we are being caught out too often.

Whether we change formation or not we need to tighten up.

There were certainly several instances of that yesterday, although sometimes Korey sat in.

Ayling bursting forward does work when it's built from solid possession and we have our shape, we just need be make better decisions as to when it's right.  For the 15 minutes between their first and second goals, we showed patience, worked the ball from side to side and created openings, and used Williams and Ayling in a more a structured approach.  It was Williams bursting towards the penalty area that created the chance for Kodjia to shoot just over.

We have to learn when to spring forward, and when to sit in and accept its gonna be a slower more patient build up.  If that involves going back to Aden or Frank, so be it, and the crowd need to understand that.  It really pisses me off to hear boos just because we've gone sideways or backwards,. It's not FIFA on the Xbox, it real life football.

Agree about Williams and in a poor team performance I thought he did ok yesterday, plus none of the goals came through him.

Maybe it is about the formation then as we are not good enough to be repeatedly caught (like we were again for the first) short handed at the back.

43 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Baker for Bryan if fit, if not, Little in. I'm going to be a tad over-critical/ honest, but look at Yesterday's subs. Both Hamer and Moore have not been good when played, Cox looks unfit, Reid disappears from games too often, Burns does not really suit the formation, manager does not seem to have faith in Agard, and there is also Robinson, who may be injured, if not has disappeared. But hardly improved the team when he has played. 

Sad fact is that the squad is pretty poor for Championship level, and as much as anything, it's the energy and commitment that gives us a fighting chance.

Hamer looked very good against Middlesbrough, too many times Fieldings distribution has been poor and putting us back under pressure. 

Moore had been playing with a hernia, he was an England under 21 player and deserves another chance.

Reid is the only player who can play a quick ball and actually spot a pass. Freeman missed far too many quick simple passes, and seems to prefer to take a few touches before playing a poor ball into the box himself.

I'd start:

Hamer

Bennett

Moore

Flint

Baker

Williams

Pack

Smith

Reid

Kodjia

Cox