IGNORED

4 at the back?

SecretSam

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yep, it worked last season because clubs needed ten chances to score against us. This season they need one or two. The caliver of opposition is incomparable in the main. 

Like someone above said, Ayling and Williams essentially play central midfield when we attack and both wing backs are attacking players. It's so exposed when we lose the ball high up the pitch and we will continue to leak goals if something doesn't change. 

Not saying that we HAVE to change formation but if we're going to persist with only playing three defenders then they have to be a hell of a lot more disciplined in their positioning. 

And also take at least 75% of our own goalscoring chances.

16 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Now I know that we play with 3+wingbacks across the whole club. But might a switch to a back 4 help our defensive woes? Certainly the wingback system makez you vulnerable down the flanks. Would 4 at the back be a more solid foundation? 

"This is how many we play at back, count my ####ing fingers"

bristol-city-steve-cotterill-manager_3340791.jpg

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

That's pretty unrealistic. 

Taking Chelsea vs Liverpool on the weekend - there were 24 attempts between the teams and 4 goals (a relatively high scoring game). That's a 17% attempts to goal return. 

We are almost the highest scorers of the bottom half of the Championship. 

Birmingham - who are currently occupying a playoff place - have scored just three more goals than us. Cardiff aren't far behind them and they have scored less than we have. 

We are leaking goals for fun and addressing that is key to us getting more from games. Of course every team wants to score more goals but we haven't exactly struggled to score. 

As a set of fans (and even some managers) we almost always seem to think 'score more goals/sign more strikers' is the answer, but any manger worth his salt will tell you that keeping goals out of your own net is the key. 

Put simply - we score the goals of a mid table; even play off side yet only one side have conceded more.

3 hours ago, Bristol_Badger said:

Only Bristol City could sign Liam Moore on loan and gash it up.

Why not play him and Baker in the middle of a back 4?

We don't have any genuine fullbacks i.e. a left or right back which comes back to the fact that we definitely don't have a plan b and 3-5-2 doesn't work (for us) in this division. 

So you'd drop Flint?

I think that it's a bit simplistic to suggest that simply by changing the stated formation from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2 (or some variation there upon) we would be more solid. I think that it's the overall shape that we need think about.

It's not as easy as having another man there and then all is hunky dory. We need to think about the space in-between defence and midfield, and then between the mids and forwards too. I actually think it's in a way wrong to say that we play 3-5-2... what we play is very fluid with players interchanging positions according to the state of the game, and mostly all comfortable on the ball. Ayling and Williams, as people have said before me, are the main examples of this. Last year, this helped us overwhelm teams whilst we were attacking - defenders stepping out meant that we had weight of numbers, and hence options when we got forward. My view would be that this year we are just look a bit loose, and our when we've lost the ball (which we have done more frequently this season) people are being caught further out of position. 

I think that where we might have been failing this season is more to do with the midfield, and Smith and Pack not necessarily covering for the defence when they move forward. Also opposition players are a bit cannier to our defenders galloping forward, either using their attackers to cover, or relying on us to make a mistake, then moving forward quickly and picking us off when under-manned at the back.

When you have the 2nd worst defensive record in League it's pretty easy to see where we need to improve as a team. For the 3 games before Fulham it looked like we could have turned a corner and 2 clean sheets, so perhaps if we could get another tonight it would be more like a blip. 

Cotts is a very stubborn man and rigidly sticks to same team where possible, so wouldn't surprise me to see no changes from Sat tonight (except Baker if he's fit) and will give players chance to redeem themselves from Sat.

Like most thou I would deffo drop Wilbs tonight as he cant play 3 games in 9 days

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Before dismissing this remember Fulham scored 100% of the times they even launched an attack up to 4-0.

Good finishing does make a huge difference. Teams like Fulham,  Reading and Burnley have shown us how to do it. It was a relief Cardiff didn't.

19 hours ago, Spoons said:

I know on a forum you are meant to debate but there is no point on this one. Whatever anyone else thinks SC will not change to a back 4. I would personally but it's as likely as me enjoying a meal cooked from my mother in law!

Ouch.

19 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm not saying there isn't an argument for going to a back four, but it's worth pointing out that prior to Saturday we'd conceded 3 goals in 4 games, including two clean sheets. Take the Fulham game out of the equation and we've been improving defensively in recent weeks and until the weekend plenty of here were saying the same.

We need to be careful about overreacting to one admittedly very poor result, when the broader picture over the past month has been more positive.

Here here. I read with interest the WDP article that talked about City desperately needing a new striker in January and thinking why have they not mentioned the fact we have Agard and Cox getting almost no game time? Its lost on me. Anyway, what do I know.. ?...well..one thing i do know ....

18 hours ago, sodburyred said:

.....I'd say scoring goals is just as big a problem as conceding. Last 2 games we've had 35 shots on goal and scored 1. ......

...in relation to Sodbury's remark is that by heck we need someone to put those chances away and if the powers that be clearly feel those bench warmers are not it then we need to attract a Gayle or Gray in January possibly to stay in this division.

Does anybody continue to have issues with irritating 'notification' pop ups that don't pop off? I have turned OFF all possible options on the 'big bell' button and still they keep coming... it feels like a virus taking over my mac. Someone please help.. be much appreciated.

Archived