IGNORED

Nathan Baker

brad blit

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The difference is Baker is a slightly injury prone 24 year old who will still harbour ambitions of making it as a Premiership player. A couple of seasons ago he was a virtual ever present for Villa.

Dinning was a journeyman pisstaker, who simply stopped trying once he got a contract.

We've had plenty of loan signings since who were nothing like Dinning.

I doubt very much we'll be able to afford Baker permanently anyway, but him (and Kodjia) staying fit will be a big part of whether we survive or not.

If he likes it here and we finish the season strongly then you never know. We'll be able to offer higher wages next season in the C'ship and I expect us to be very ambitious with our signings next summer, again, assuming C'ship.

I would also add Bennett to Baker/Kodjia as being key to survival. He has made a significant impact since coming in and assuming his form continues I hope we can extend his loan spell past January - or even sign him permanently?

As others have said Baker was the difference last night who brought out the best in those around him.

I struggled to name a MOTM on Saturday and last night there were a handful of candidates, probably down to Baker or Pack from me. A good positive team performance, now we need consistency.

As mentioned several times above. We look much more solid when Baker is in. Flint and Ayling look more assured and the obvious extra height doesn't go amiss. However, I think much the same as alot of the fans, Flint and Ayling may have lost a bit of belief in Williams at cb. Which in turn can affect your positioning and decision making.

Lucky for us, Williams looks comfortable at lwb!

The only time Baker has failed to impress was at Brum, and it was his first game against one of the better teams in the Championship. Since then he has performed very well.

I thought Flint and Ayling also had good games last night. But a special pat on the back for Freeman. It just wasn't running for him in the first half, lots of miscontrols, wrong decisions, being dispossessed etc. But did his head drop or confidence diminish? Did it hell! I thought he had a much improved second half, constantly running at them with ball and stretching the Wolves' defence at every opportunity.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If he likes it here and we finish the season strongly then you never know. We'll be able to offer higher wages next season in the C'ship and I expect us to be very ambitious with our signings next summer, again, assuming C'ship.

I would also add Bennett to Baker/Kodjia as being key to survival. He has made a significant impact since coming in and assuming his form continues I hope we can extend his loan spell past January - or even sign him permanently?

100% agree re Bennett, he also appears to be out of contract next summer so I hope we are making every effort to make his spell permanent.

A quick scan of the web suggests that Baker is on £24k a week at Villa.. 

If that is true he's miles out of our league financially, sadly.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

100% agree re Bennett, he also appears to be out of contract next summer so I hope we are making every effort to make his spell permanent.

A quick scan of the web suggests that Baker is on £24k a week at Villa.. 

If that is true he's miles out of our league financially, sadly.

But if we stay up and in a positive manner, might end we push the boat out for the right player.

Bennett's interview in WellRed was definitely not "no way would I come here"

Glad Baker's doing well, will be interesting to see what happens with Villa as they're struggling right now.  But remember Caulker was immense for us that season on loan, but we had no chance of prising him away from Spurs and the Prem; however, Caulker was much younger (18?) and was here for experience - Baker it may be more a case of finding him a new home.  Wages and fee may be a major issue.

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Glad Baker's doing well, will be interesting to see what happens with Villa as they're struggling right now.  But remember Caulker was immense for us that season on loan, but we had no chance of prising him away from Spurs and the Prem; however, Caulker was much younger (18?) and was here for experience - Baker it may be more a case of finding him a new home.  Wages and fee may be a major issue.

Yes an interesting one...A long way to go but Villa seem to be in yet another relegation struggle...He has a bright spanking new 4 year deal with Villa which must be earning him good wedge and an offer from us would have to be big in capitol and wages.

If Villa were to be relegated and Baker has a good season then I would suggest Villa would want him back but who knows with the new guy....If he brings in some of his own Baker could become the forgotten man pretty quickly!...

Nevertheless With our current play off run he might want to stay with us in the Prem next season :thumbsup:

Archived