IGNORED

RIP Bristol Sporting Hero

Ivorguy

Quite simply the most stylish batsman I ever saw. Think a right handed David Gower. Ask any West Indian of my generation who was the best English batsman of the fifties and sixties. 

And, like my other childhood hero, John Atyeo, he was a sportsman and a gentleman. 

I went to BGS a few years after he left but learnt to idolise him at a young age as my Dad introduced me to City, Glos and Bris at an early age.

The headmaster at BGS gave everyone the day off when the 1953 Aussies camne to play Glos at Nevil Road and watching him bat against Lindwall and Miller was a big thrill.

A few years later he scored 285 against the Windies and we all got another day off in celebration.

Thanks for the memories Tom.

Ken was my wifes grandad (her uncle is David) and he was living in Tyler, Texas. He passed way on my wife's 39th birthday to the day. Ken was a hard man, whenever we'd go me visit with the kids he would always have Fox News blaring in the background. He's was also a survivor of WW2, some of the worries he had then were tingling what he experienced, he was a green beret. Lovely man and a bloody good cricketer apparently and golf player, which I did witness with golf!!

Tom was a very gentle man, very very humble. I only met him a few times but he was such a Nice man. Big loss losing both Ken and Tom within 10 days of each other.

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I went to BGS a few years after he left but learnt to idolise him at a young age as my Dad introduced me to City, Glos and Bris at an early age.

The headmaster at BGS gave everyone the day off when the 1953 Aussies camne to play Glos at Nevil Road and watching him bat against Lindwall and Miller was a big thrill.

A few years later he scored 285 against the Windies and we all got another day off in celebration.

Thanks for the memories Tom.

I went to BGS in more recent years, but even still his name around the school lives on. Plaques, artifacts and his name on the honour's board are everywhere to be seen around the place. His achievements are constantly retold as inspiration for the next generation of kids. 

Gutted I never got to see him play, but looking at his record, it is truly great. A Glos and England legend. RIP Tom.

Archived