IGNORED

Ancestory websites

The Batman

I used to be really into this a few years ago. I think my best bet was I brought a family tree maker cd set and signed up to 'Ancestry'. I think it was a years subscription that covered uk and Ireland, I think you can get several different levels eg a month, 3 months etc and something like uk as I said or Europe or worldwide. 

Before I signed up I think there was a really good free site ran by the Church of the Latter-day Saints of all people, heavily biased to the US but I found out a lot for free before I subscribed to Ancestry.

i think it all depends on where your relatives are from. Unfortunately by searches drew a blank after a few generations due to quite a lot of my ancestors leading to Ireland, it seems quite a lot of records were lost in a huge fire in a records office and also there was a lot of  ahem, money being taken by local priests for registering children when born only for them to pocket the money without completing the paperwork.

I think you can view quite a lot of online cencus' for free too, if they are over 100 years old. Through the Ancestry subscription you had access to newer ones which were a great help.

also there are lots of places you can look up servicemen etc, I never looked into this as it didn't apply to me.

i guess it's all about what you know and who you can ask now to confirm. I spent many months searching and it was a fantastic feeling when you proved something, but oh so many dead ends.

one thing I would say is ask any relatives you have now about the past, I also left that too late. By the time I wanted to know my relatives had died or weren't capable of recalling, very sad.

warning, it's very addictive. Good luck.

Archived