IGNORED

Jacob Maddox

alexukhc

Signed his first professional contract with Chelsea, poached from us. Best of luck to the lad. If he makes it through to the first team I would be surprised, not due to ability but the faith Chelsea have in their youngsters, time will tell I guess, after all they are having a horrible season so far

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/06/england-u17-star-jacob-maddox-signs-professional-contract-with-chelsea-5484268/

15 minutes ago, RedDave said:

They do. I was being sarcastic.  One player in 10 years, John Terry. 

You say that, but a lot of players from their academies make a few games.

Loftus-Cheek this year for example, Nathan Ake made a few appearances but now at loan, McEachran (now at Brentford) made a few appearances too.

It's very hard to break into a world-class team, you'd have to have hell of a talent to be better than the current 11. (based on last year's form).

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

You say that, but a lot of players from their academies make a few games.

Loftus-Cheek this year for example, Nathan Ake made a few appearances but now at loan, McEachran (now at Brentford) made a few appearances too.

It's very hard to break into a world-class team, you'd have to have hell of a talent to be better than the current 11. (based on last year's form).

A 'few appearances' just about sums it up with Chelsea, they have a huge academy but are still a cheque book club.

10 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

This stockpiling of players by the bigger clubs has got to stop. How are we ever going to know if these lads are any good if the vast majority of them never play league football until they eventually get bombed out in their early twenties? 

and it manufactures the Scott Sinclair's who become millionaires far more interested in vacuous tarts and material things than playing the game, Jack Grealish is already treading that particular path.

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

and it manufactures the Scott Sinclair's who become millionaires far more interested in vacuous tarts and material things than playing the game, Jack Grealish is already treading that particular path.

To be fair, if I could get paid for turning up to train and then watching some football in a suit I wouldn't be too bothered! Have to remember that it's a career now. Why wouldn't the likes of Sinclair and Delph go to sit in the stands for Man City for double the money their previous clubs were paying them? If the FA were serious about improving the fortunes of your national team, they'd enforce a maximum squad limit for a start. Having English-qualified/home grown quotas is all well and good, but what's the point if these clubs just buy the players to fulfil the quotas and then never play them? It becomes counter-productive. 

11 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

To be fair, if I could get paid for turning up to train and then watching some football in a suit I wouldn't be too bothered! Have to remember that it's a career now. Why wouldn't the likes of Sinclair and Delph go to sit in the stands for Man City for double the money their previous clubs were paying them? If the FA were serious about improving the fortunes of your national team, they'd enforce a maximum squad limit for a start. Having English-qualified/home grown quotas is all well and good, but what's the point if these clubs just buy the players to fulfil the quotas and then never play them? It becomes counter-productive. 

I suppose it is very much a generational thing, I was brought up to have pride and self respect  in what I was doing, they would still end up millionaires come what may and that is how I will remember them as millionaires and not footballers/sportsmen and the premiership is awash with millionaires who are (as Frank Zappa said) only in it for the money but very average footballers to boot lacking in pride and self respect, of course that is my personal view.

in the long run moving to chelsea will prove to be a poor move for him, he obviously stood way more chance breaking into our first team and will end up being sent out to somewhere like port vale when hes 19 and play 5 games and then make the odd bench appearence like loftus cheek does, ultimatly leaving chelsea when hes like 24 with 0 first team experience.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

A 'few appearances' just about sums it up with Chelsea, they have a huge academy but are still a cheque book club.

None of the top teams with huge academies are any better. The lack of quality players breaking into the first teams is pretty shockingly low. 

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I suppose it is very much a generational thing, I was brought up to have pride and self respect  in what I was doing, they would still end up millionaires come what may and that is how I will remember them as millionaires and not footballers/sportsmen and the premiership is awash with millionaires who are (as Frank Zappa said) only in it for the money but very average footballers to boot lacking in pride and self respect, of course that is my personal view.

You're giving away your age there, Es! It's easy to say when you're not the one having ridiculous amounts of money thrown at you. Who knows how previous generations of footballers would have reacted to that. Indeed, who knows how you'd have reacted to it yourself. I'm not having a go at you, but it sometimes seems that older generations criticise younger ones for availing themselves of opportunities that didn't exist in their time.

I like to think that if I'd been lucky (and talented) enough to play rugby for Munster or football for City I'd never leave either in a million years. But I've never had salary cap-less Heineken-cup-ruining French clubs or billionaire oligarchs waving their chequebooks at me either. It's just a job to most footballers now, and if better wages are on offer elsewhere they'll move, that's the way it's gone. That ship has sailed. My point is that the FA need to be making it more difficult for said oligarchs to stockpile young English players to the detriment of the national side. Sadly, the PL and the clubs have absolutely no interest in the English national team, and are only interested in selling their product worldwide.

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Personally if I was already on the stupid money that the likes of these players get, even at lower prem sides I would stay there to play every week, when I was younger and wanted to be a footballer it wasn't because of the money, it's because I love playing football. Sinclair and Delph wouldn't have been strapped for cash where they were.

43 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

You're giving away your age there, Es! It's easy to say when you're not the one having ridiculous amounts of money thrown at you. Who knows how previous generations of footballers would have reacted to that. Indeed, who knows how you'd have reacted to it yourself. I'm not having a go at you, but it sometimes seems that older generations criticise younger ones for availing themselves of opportunities that didn't exist in their time.

I like to think that if I'd been lucky (and talented) enough to play rugby for Munster or football for City I'd never leave either in a million years. But I've never had salary cap-less Heineken-cup-ruining French clubs or billionaire oligarchs waving their chequebooks at me either. It's just a job to most footballers now, and if better wages are on offer elsewhere they'll move, that's the way it's gone. That ship has sailed. My point is that the FA need to be making it more difficult for said oligarchs to stockpile young English players to the detriment of the national side. Sadly, the PL and the clubs have absolutely no interest in the English national team, and are only interested in selling their product worldwide.

Michael, modern players in the main sadly lack any moral fibre or self respect, anybody who cheats so badly in an attempt to get a fellow pro sent off is a disgrace to football in my view, Roy Keane not for the first time was spot on in his condemnation of Ashley Young the other night, the obscene money that these incredibly average English players earn is all part of it, it makes them difficult, lazy and in some cases unfit and uncaring, you can see it when England play the likes of Ireland and Northern Ireland, one team has pride and wants it the other team just view it as another image/business opportunity/photo shoot.

4 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Grealish is an odd example, he's made 30 odd appearances for Villa and he's only just 20 years old. 

He may well have an unhealthy interest in vacuous tarts but he's not like this kids choosing a premier league club over a league club only to never play. 

Archived