IGNORED

We weren't the only ones

Londoner

So blatant as well, if the ref somehow missed it you wonder how the lino did too!

Can be very frustrating especially when you're away from home after you've travelled a long way. I remember forest away in our promotion season, we took about 4300 fans up there, 3 big penalty shouts right in front of us 1 blatant but all waved away!

1 minute ago, red84 said:

So blatant as well, if the ref somehow missed it you wonder how the lino did too!

Can be very frustrating especially when you're away from home after you've travelled a long way. I remember forest away in our promotion season, we took about 4300 fans up there, 3 big penalty shouts right in front of us 1 blatant but all waved away!

Was thinking that myself as remember that game well, I thought 2 were stonewall pens.

Refs do not just go by what they (and we) can see. It would be a better game if they could.

This time last year I sat next to a retired Ref at a Sportsmans Dinner. He confirmed that the Golden Rule of refereeing is "Don't upset the big boys" ... you can look at this from whatever level they are at, boiling right down to what the Ref's own perception of who the "bigger team" are on any given day (based on league position, recent Prem status, media love-ins, etc). 

However, it doesn't always work in their favour. The General Manager of PGMOL is one Mike Riley who I witnessed (Bessa Stadium, Porto) deny Latvia two of the most obvious penalties in history vs Germany in Euro 2004. It finished 0-0 and Riley must have thought (if only on a damage limitation basis) that he had done his job well, i.e. positioning himself for prime matches in the later rounds, maybe even the Final ... but not a bit of it ... even UEFA were embarrassed by his transparent incompetence and sent him home after the group stage!

Archived