IGNORED

The stone roses

BUTOR

Anyone else manage to get tickets for their Manchester gigs? always a momentous occasion when they play but part of me is thinking this has to be their last shows playing the same songs over and over or it really is blatantly for the money. Wouldn't mind them putting a full stop on things after this summer because I just can't see a third album being of much quality at all. 

Must be a few others on here who tried for tickets or is also a big fan? After all, there's a stone roses flag up in the Atyeo every week...

Aye, I was at the Finsbury Park gigs and they were great. The organisation of the event, however, was not! Bars had to shut early because they couldn't cope (and ended up getting robbed) and we had to walk back to the centre of Manchester because we couldn't get on a tram or bus for love nor money! 

Considered trying to get tickets for this, but think I'm going to be on holiday about then. I'm sure it'll be good though

On 09/11/2015, 06:12:32, chipdawg said:

Aye, I was at the Finsbury Park gigs and they were great. The organisation of the event, however, was not! Bars had to shut early because they couldn't cope (and ended up getting robbed) and we had to walk back to the centre of Manchester because we couldn't get on a tram or bus for love nor money! 

Considered trying to get tickets for this, but think I'm going to be on holiday about then. I'm sure it'll be good though

Did you get somewhat lost?

Although I don't dislike them, I think the Roses must be one of the most over-rated bands of all time. "Legendary" status on the back of one album with a few great songs and much filler.

I've seen them twice. Once at Pilton Party. I was standing next to Nigel Clark of Dodgy fame. He said, "Eets groit to see tha Boyz!" But it wasn't really, as someone had broken into their portacabin changing room and stolen all their drugs, so the band were very downbeat and miserable. 

The second time was the famous Reading Festival where, in the completely accurate words of the NME,  Ian Brown's singing resembled an injured moose bellowing in pain. Actually,  maybe that's being a big harsh on moose!  The band disbanded shortly after that fiasco.

I gather less ching and more backing tapes are involved in their shows these days.   

I've always been a big Roses fan. I was a huge fan back in the day but sadly didn't to see them until 1995 when Reni had left and Ian Brown's shamanic swagger had completely disappeared. I was also at Reading, which was a disaster of course. While I still love the music (though it feels somewhat overplayed these days), the Roses will never recapture the magic they once had. The flares, the bongos, the paint splatters, the attitude, Ian Brown's facial expressions on almost all of their photos. Like all great bands who do reunion gigs, they're just 50-something men playing the old favourites for a bit of cash. Admittedly, they play them well (even if Ian's singing is as bad as ever).

Archived