IGNORED

Wearing poppies

BCFC Jimmer

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Christ on a bike! I agree with BCR!

The politicising of this issue in recent years has been very unpleasant.

I drop my money in the tin, but don't sport the little paper flower. For a start I rarely wear anything with a buttonhole, and I have a slight resentment over "poppy pressure" in certain media organisations.

Of course, this means I am approached more than once, but I'm happy too contribute on multiple occasions. The RBL does some great work.

The girls wear poppies. Any clothing accesory is a plus for them.

it begins and ends with the media RR, if you ask vacuous bints like Barbara Windsor or Caroline Flack questions about the wearing of poppies, you will get vacuous answers, as I say it's only people in the public eye that are being stalked by a copy crazed media.

The likes of you and I don't suffer that problem, perhaps the way forward is, when you put your money into the tin you are either given a poppy or a receipt saying "I have donated", just in case of the very unlikely scenario of a stranger challenging you about why you are not wearing a poppy.

14 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

This place would be pretty boring if everyone agreed with each other. But I'm glad you've spotted that I'm always right 

I am not bothered about opinions, views or what your politics are, that is indeed very interesting and should lead to good debates but I just like balance and the problem with many debates on this forum is those who are one side or the other of the fence don't appear to like balance, everything appears black and white and it never is.

I don't read BB's posts or look at his articles or videos, but I sometimes respond to some people who then sanctimoniously offer a equally offensive replies to his posts, as happened last night.

Me, I spoke to one half of my family last night and plan to talk to other half tonight, I have spent the morning grooming and cleaning the teeth of my dog and exercising him, about to go out and smile whilst Mrs Bung looks at cushions and fluffy furnishings and be ready with my wallet, (mind you she has just baked me a Victoria  sponge) and maybe have a beer and then a gentle stroll around the most beautiful gulf of Morbihan with both of our dogs, life is good and maybe going to get a whole lot better, that is until some ***** spoils it. That's balance, try it.

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I am not bothered about opinions, views or what your politics are, that is indeed very interesting and should lead to good debates but I just like balance and the problem with many debates on this forum is those who are one side or the other of the fence don't appear to like balance, everything appears black and white and it never is.

I don't read BB's posts or look at his articles or videos, but I sometimes respond to some people who then sanctimoniously offer a equally offensive replies to his posts, as happened last night.

Me, I spoke to one half of my family last night and plan to talk to other half tonight, I have spent the morning grooming and cleaning the teeth of my dog and exercising him, about to go out and smile whilst Mrs Bung looks at cushions and fluffy furnishings and be ready with my wallet, (mind you she has just baked me a Victoria  sponge) and maybe have a beer and then a gentle stroll around the most beautiful gulf of Morbihan with both of our dogs, life is good and maybe going to get a whole lot better, that is until some ***** spoils it. That's balance, try it.

By call means all me out if I post something  "sanctimonious" or offensive and I'll happily withdraw what I've said. I've done that in the past and will no doubt have to do so in the future. But I'm not entirely sure what I've said that offends you so? I just disagree with your view and have set out why. Similarly, when answering BB I try to respond to what he's written rather than what I think he might mean. If I've been offensive or sanctimonious (or at least any more sanctimonious than usual) then I apologise, but I don't know when or where tbh

Anyway, your day sounds lovely (apart from the shopping bit- the things we do for love eh?) so I hope you enjoy your beer and your stroll

4 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

By call means all me out if I post something  "sanctimonious" or offensive and I'll happily withdraw what I've said. I've done that in the past and will no doubt have to do so in the future. But I'm not entirely sure what I've said that offends you so? I just disagree with your view and have set out why. Similarly, when answering BB I try to respond to what he's written rather than what I think he might mean. If I've been offensive or sanctimonious (or at least any more sanctimonious than usual) then I apologise, but I don't know when or where tbh

Anyway, your day sounds lovely (apart from the shopping bit- the things we do for love eh?) so I hope you enjoy your beer and your stroll

You see I don't see where in my post that I directed the part about sanctimonious or offensive at you, it was a general point and directed at others, nothing more nothing less.

But if you disagree about having a balanced argument, I can't change that view, I just believe that is what is missing from both extremes of some of the debates on this forum, me I don't expect **** all from politicians and then i'm not disappointed, but I think there needs to be a far more unbiased approach on the reporting of certain issues and I really do not believe that to be the case at this moment in time, the truth in most arguments and debates are nearly always somewhere between the two extremes and that is where I like to sit, you know i'll believe that when it happens and perhaps if the migrant crisis escalates during a European winter, you might as well, of course unless all of the reporting is that only migrants are being attacked.

43 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Do you have a job?

43 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

What **** has that got to do with you or this ******* debate FFS?.

Woah, I think I have touched a nerve. Interesting.

EMB going for the award of angriest man on Otib?!

Though since you asked, what has banging on about Corbyn again got to do with a debate on poppies? Apart from you to stick your 'neutral' political view in?!

59 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You see I don't see where in my post that I directed the part about sanctimonious or offensive at you, it was a general point and directed at others, nothing more nothing less.

But if you disagree about having a balanced argument, I can't change that view, I just believe that is what is missing from both extremes of some of the debates on this forum, me I don't expect **** all from politicians and then i'm not disappointed, but I think there needs to be a far more unbiased approach on the reporting of certain issues and I really do not believe that to be the case at this moment in time, the truth in most arguments and debates are nearly always somewhere between the two extremes and that is where I like to sit, you know i'll believe that when it happens and perhaps if the migrant crisis escalates during a European winter, you might as well, of course unless all of the reporting is that only migrants are being attacked.

I think my mistake came from you replying to one of my posts and using the words 'sanctimonious' and 'offensive'. Apologies for misconstruing what you'd written 

No one on here has a truly balanced opinion on anything that has ever been discussed on here. Not you. Not me. Not anyone. Like you, I like to think I can try and see both sides of an argument and take what I can from each side, but in reality we're all coloured by our prejudices, experiences (or often lack there of) and opinions

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think that's a no? :blink:

5 hours ago, Collis1 said:

Woah, I think I have touched a nerve. Interesting.

EMB going for the award of angriest man on Otib?!

Though since you asked, what has banging on about Corbyn again got to do with a debate on poppies? Apart from you to stick your 'neutral' political view in?!

it appears that I owe Bert and Ernie an apology, so brave of you both to come out the closet, but I have told you both i'm not gay and this is not a gay pick up site, but best of luck on your journey.

As for the last sentence, you Colis1 were the first one to mention Corbyn in this thread not me and I was replying to your post and a further post from Chip, but of course you have the memory of a goldfish and 18 hours must be a long time to remember that, however i'm sure it's within the rules to enter into a conversation about Corbyn, when you are replying to posts about Corbyn.

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

it appears that I owe Bert and Ernie an apology, so brave of you both to come out the closet, but I have told you both i'm not gay and this is not a gay pick up site, but best of luck on your journey.

The red wine has been flowing in France this evening I see!!

Must have taken you back to your youth when calling someone gay was presumably actually a funny insult!

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The red wine has been flowing in France this evening I see!!

Must have taken you back to your youth when calling someone gay was presumably actually a funny insult!

Nope in my youth the only dictionary definition of gay was:-

dated
light-hearted and carefree.
"Nan had a gay disposition and a very pretty face"
synonyms:

cheerfulcheerymerryjollylight-heartedmirthfuljovialgladhappybright, in good spirits, in high spirits, joyful, elated, exuberantanimatedlivelysprightlyvivaciousbuoyantbouncybubblyperkyeffervescentplayfulfrolicsome

Jesus Christ there are a lot of people on here that need to grow up. It seems many cannot take an opinion without resulting to name calling.

If love to know the age of some people here as it resembles a junior school squable with a adult subject :)

Every one in a circle 

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

18 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

As for the last sentence, you Colis1 were the first one to mention Corbyn in this thread not me and I was replying to your post and a further post from Chip, but of course you have the memory of a goldfish and 18 hours must be a long time to remember that, however i'm sure it's within the rules to enter into a conversation about Corbyn, when you are replying to posts about Corbyn.

Actually Es it was you who mentioned Corbyn first.... post number 2.

:fish:

On 9 November 2015 at 17:51:54, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The argument stated by some morons in the press last week, that they don't wear a poppy because they are 'anti war' is beyond stupid, the poppy is not and never has been a symbol of promoting or glamourising war, it is a symbol that shows respect to those who have died in wars, some wars that have helped ensure the freedoms that allows these morons to carry on being morons and more importantly as an ex armed forces 20 year veteran pointed out at the time, that during his 20 years and the meeting of many thousand other members of the armed forces, he is yet to meet one who is pro war.

People are free to do and wear what they want, but being anti war doesn't hold water as an excuse, because wearing a poppy doesn't suggest that you are pro war, it suggests respect for the people who have sacrificed their lives including deserters murdered by the state in the 1st world war and bomb disposal officers who even in this day and age take the risks to make sure that even morons don't get blown up, there are a host of reasons why people should wear a poppy and wear it with pride.

if Corbyn can wear one just to appear cuddly then there is no excuse.

That's unworthy of you, EMB. Corbyn wears one for the same reason as I do. Because he believes that the message of Remebrance Day (just) outweighs the hysterical nationalism that infests it in the media today. 

If the howling mob that demands that people wear the poppy regardless of their own conscience continues to bay, then I shall consider not wearing it as a protest against the kind of Fascist intolerance that my family fought against in two world wars. 

Corbyn stayed behind to talk to veterans rather than indulging in the post ceremony nosh up, which I suppose marks him down as a subversive and a traitor. 

And, of course, he bowed his head in genuine respect, as I did at the Gate, rather than grovelling as one would to the King of Saudi Arabia, although the Sun might tell it differently with a lying headline next to a half naked "model". I appreciate that the inclination of his neck didn't satisfy the Etiquette editor of the Daily Telegraph, but I bet you didn't know there was one either.

Believe it or not, I too have my criticisms of Corbyn, but you have no right to cast that aspersion at him. He wore the poppy because he believes that we should support those who fought for us, a lesson that iDS and his colleagues in the DWP seem to have forgotten. 

9 hours ago, Aizoon said:

That's unworthy of you, EMB. Corbyn wears one for the same reason as I do. Because he believes that the message of Remebrance Day (just) outweighs the hysterical nationalism that infests it in the media today. 

If the howling mob that demands that people wear the poppy regardless of their own conscience continues to bay, then I shall consider not wearing it as a protest against the kind of Fascist intolerance that my family fought against in two world wars. 

Corbyn stayed behind to talk to veterans rather than indulging in the post ceremony nosh up, which I suppose marks him down as a subversive and a traitor. 

And, of course, he bowed his head in genuine respect, as I did at the Gate, rather than grovelling as one would to the King of Saudi Arabia, although the Sun might tell it differently with a lying headline next to a half naked "model". I appreciate that the inclination of his neck didn't satisfy the Etiquette editor of the Daily Telegraph, but I bet you didn't know there was one either.

Believe it or not, I too have my criticisms of Corbyn, but you have no right to cast that aspersion at him. He wore the poppy because he believes that we should support those who fought for us, a lesson that iDS and his colleagues in the DWP seem to have forgotten. 

Not unworthy Aiz, isn't it correct that in the past Corbyn has chosen to wear a white poppy?, so why change that now?, oh yes because of pressure from the press.

I would have far more respect for him if he just carried on with his 'conviction politics' instead of abandoning them bit by bit to appease the press.

As for the highlighted portion that is one thing that I wouldn't accuse Corbyn or any politician of lack of neck.

As for the part about the Saudi King, that is an interesting wider debate IMO, probably for it's own thread, but just how do we measure exactly what country we do business with?, the totally inhumane?, the slightly less inhumane?, the inhumane? or the occasionally inhumane?.

Archived