IGNORED

Michu

mattjtsmith

I'm sure the truth will come out one day but it is one weird story.

A few years ago he was amongst the top scorers in the Prem, then all of a sudden he stopped scoring, his loan spell in Italy was disastrous and Swansea have clearly been trying to offload him for a year.

For someone who is not even 30 to end up at the fourth level in Spain is unfathomable, there is surely more to this fall than simply a loss of form.

A cautionary tale about rushing players back, from what I've read, he apparently had an excellent dynamic with Brian Laudrup, but when the manager was under-pressure, he used the fact that Michu really wanted to come back to help out the team to get Michu to play against medial advice, so he came back too early, and exaggerated it.  

Then Monk wanted to change the mentality of the team, which resulted in Michu getting disillusioned, and guess he must be a confidence player, because he ever recovered.  He'll go back to Spain, but really is a warning about players taking care of themselves when injured, as you can go from being one of the best players in the best division, to playing in the lower leagues in a pretty short space of time.

Michu is going to 4th tier club in Spain because it's his home club, from memory him and a few other Spanish players paid around 5 million euros a few years ago to keep them from going bust. 

The club is Oviedo I believe. May well be wrong but think that's the reason.

2 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Michu is going to 4th tier club in Spain because it's his home club, from memory him and a few other Spanish players paid around 5 million euros a few years ago to keep them from going bust. 

The club is Oviedo I believe. May well be wrong but think that's the reason.

Oviedo?!

Didn't Vinny Samways and Stan Collymore end up there?!

I think they were a La Liga team but heavily funded by the local authority ( it`s a working class district of Madrid I think). I believe they got relegated, the funding dried up, and they dropped like a stone. It was like a forerunner of crowd funding that saved them in the end - they`ve got shareholders all over the world.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...actually, I think it was just Collymore...

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Oviedo?!

Didn't Vinny Samways and Stan Collymore end up there?!

Bit beyond my time I'm afraid bud, but I'm pretty sure this is his home club and as a post below says they nearly liquidated. They have a billionaire chairman and shareholders everywhere over the globe. 

It may not be them as I seen they're now in segunda which is division 2 of the Spanish league I believe

17 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think they were a La Liga team but heavily funded by the local authority ( it`s a working class district of Madrid I think). I believe they got relegated, the funding dried up, and they dropped like a stone. It was like a forerunner of crowd funding that saved them in the end - they`ve got shareholders all over the world.

Oviedo is a very long way from Madrid (over 250 miles away), it is in Asturias in the far North West and is a fairly large city in its own right...

16 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Bit beyond my time I'm afraid bud, but I'm pretty sure this is his home club and as a post below says they nearly liquidated. They have a billionaire chairman and shareholders everywhere over the globe. 

It may not be them as I seen they're now in segunda which is division 2 of the Spanish league I believe

Yes, you are right, full name is Real Oviedo and they are 12th in the Segunda along with Real Mallorca and  Real Valladolid  who were also in La Liga.

Archived