IGNORED

Chesham, Hitchen, Kettering you have given me so much fun over the years

ChillyTrav

14 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

It's Hitchin.   My home town and I was there.   Celebrated down the Hermitage in Hitchin watching Desmond Dekker.  I was the only one there singing 'Ooo, ooo, the gas are shite' along to the Israelites.:clapping:

What a day that was!

Straight down the pub after the match, and didn't get back home til 3am.

The Herm has changed a bit now though!

4 hours ago, handsofclay1909 said:

Since we joined the football league in 1901 we have never been beaten by a non league side in the FA Cup. I do wonder if we have the best record amongst league clubs for beating non league in terms of perhaps having the most encounters and not having ever lost to any of them.

We must have the record I should think - and the gas must be very close to the worst I reckon.

4 hours ago, handsofclay1909 said:

Since we joined the football league in 1901 we have never been beaten by a non league side in the FA Cup. I do wonder if we have the best record amongst league clubs for beating non league in terms of perhaps having the most encounters and not having ever lost to any of them.

Also remember that, in those early days, there were some seriously good Southern League clubs - like Spurs, who actually won the FA Cup in 1900 and 1901.

I remember Port Vale being quite popular after beating the blue few in the play offs in the late 80s - I think Robbie Earle got the goal. Of course that pales into insignificance compared to what other teams already mentioned in this thread have done to them in their recent glory years. Mansfield particularly are now forgiven for beating us at Wembley.

Archived