IGNORED

How quickly it all changes...

BS4 on Tour...

...I went to Wigan vs Hull when it was an old 4th division fixture...not that many years later (relatively) it was a Premier League fixture.

And tonight, it's Wigan vs Blackpool in some rubbishy lower league competition that we only won a few times!

But how long ago was that also a Premier League fixture?! Not that long!

It's crazy how quickly it all changes and emphasises how you have to enjoy your moment in the sun...

Isn't it about 47 clubs that have been in the Premier League? Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Just wondering when we'll get the chance to walk onto the stage, stand in the spotlight and bow!

I went to Swansea v Hull in League 2 in 2003, a famous game in the Swans history when they won 4-2 to preserve their football league status. Less than a decade later that was a Premier League fixture.

When you consider facts such as that, it's far from inconceivable that we could be an established Premier League side within the next 10 years. Swansea needed three promotions to do it, we only need one! An exciting prospect.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wigan won the FA Cup TWO years ago in 2013.

Us and Brighton are the two biggest clubs not to play in the Premier League by my reckoning. Looks like Brighton have a decent chance of being there next season...

I think you could be right Kid. I can`t think of anyone else anyway - Huddersfield maybe?. Not a good claim to fame though!

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Preston as well maybe? Not a huge club but certainly a great pedigree.

Stadium-wise, MK Dons probably the biggest stadium not to have seen Premier League football?

The Falmer (AMEX) is actually marginally bigger than MK's stadium.

But Ricoh definitely the biggest not to have seen Prem football.

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wigan won the FA Cup TWO years ago in 2013.

Us and Brighton are the two biggest clubs not to play in the Premier League by my reckoning. Looks like Brighton have a decent chance of being there next season...

PNE haven't been there have they? Probably right though. I'd say we're on a par with both clubs! Only recently Brighton have started to establish themselves as a decent club.

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think you could be right Kid. I can`t think of anyone else anyway - Huddersfield maybe?. Not a good claim to fame though!

To be fair, they've won 3 division one titles!

going back to the 1920s though...

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

With respect to Huddersfield and Preston they have achieved sod all post-war, get smaller crowds than us and will have a smaller stadium than us.

Indeed, but I don't think anyone is claiming otherwise. Nonetheless Preston do have a greater pedigree than many clubs who have played in the Prem.

12 hours ago, Lew-T said:

PNE haven't been there have they? Probably right though. I'd say we're on a par with both clubs! Only recently Brighton have started to establish themselves as a decent club.

They were in the top division from '79 to 83' and lost the FA cup final of 1983 to Man Utd , is this what you mean by only ' recently ' ? 

15 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I went to Swansea v Hull in League 2 in 2003, a famous game in the Swans history when they won 4-2 to preserve their football league status. Less than a decade later that was a Premier League fixture.

When you consider facts such as that, it's far from inconceivable that we could be an established Premier League side within the next 10 years. Swansea needed three promotions to do it, we only need one! An exciting prospect.

Bizarrely, I actually went to see Hull v Swansea around 1998. That was a 4th tier match, played at the old Boothferry Park. It is incredible how times change!

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

They were in the top division from '79 to 83' and lost the FA cup final of 1983 to Man Utd , is this what you mean by only ' recently ' ? 

Well to me Brighton aren't a big club. That above is the exactly same as City's biggest achievements so you would say we're on par. Only thing going for them is their stadium and the increase of attendances. Apart from that, they're no bigger than us!

27 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Well to me Brighton aren't a big club. That above is the exactly same as City's biggest achievements so you would say we're on par. Only thing going for them is their stadium and the increase of attendances. Apart from that, they're no biger than us!

I asked the question because i'm sure there are young 'uns on here who don't recall the Brighton glory years .

It's uncanny that their only appearance in an FA cup final was against  Man Utd .

You did n't actually say 'big ' but 'decent' by which i took it to mean ,performing adequately . It's the old chestnut of what constitutes a big club is n't it ?

The thing about City is since i was a boy everyone has talked of the potential at the club and since i was a boy we still have potential .We could become a significant player in English football if only this potential was ever realised .

That is what makes so many of us frustrated . Seeing so many other clubs by pass us . I think we are on the right track now but for donkey's years we have been poorly run.

Archived