IGNORED

Info required please

AirlieBeachRed

Due to the 1897 mistake they are post 1994. Prior to 1994, indeed for a hundred years prior to that every source, including the club itself had our formation correctly as in 1894. The 1897 date is a post 1994 construct applied as a marketing opportunity by a new board of directors who weren't in situ in 1994 to celebrate the centenary. They then changed the date to coincide with Bristol City turning pro in 1897 and dropping the South End at the end of their name and replacing it with City. If every club in the country adopted this criteria then virtually every club would be younger than they in fact are. We are the only club who wants to be thought of as younger for some reason.

Just obtain any football reference book or City merchandise pre 1995 and 100% of them will list our formation as in 1894. Not one would have it as 1897. Nobody at all would've associated our club with that date of formation (1897) prior to that. Thus the mugs are post 1994. Unfortunately, they aren't the only mugs as many newer followers of City in the past 20 years have fallen for this spin.

10 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

Due to the 1897 mistake they are post 1994. Prior to 1994, indeed for a hundred years prior to that every source, including the club itself had our formation correctly as in 1894. The 1897 date is a post 1994 construct applied as a marketing opportunity by a new board of directors who weren't in situ in 1994 to celebrate the centenary. They then changed the date to coincide with Bristol City turning pro in 1897 and dropping the South End at the end of their name and replacing it with City. If every club in the country adopted this criteria then virtually every club would be younger than they in fact are. We are the only club who wants to be thought of as younger for some reason.

Just obtain any football reference book or City merchandise pre 1995 and 100% of them will list our formation as in 1894. Not one would have it as 1897. Nobody at all would've associated our club with that date of formation (1897) prior to that. Thus the mugs are post 1994. Unfortunately, they aren't the only mugs as many newer followers of City in the past 20 years have fallen for this spin.

And now the stands are being renamed in a way that makes our relationship with Europe look like a democratic process.

5 minutes ago, Thornbury Red said:

Fixed for you!

That, for me, is an aside.  If they wanted to do that (which may be fine by most), then do it openly.  If income runs roughshod over everything then your excuse can be used in anything they do.

Do you have a line drawn anywhere?  What's sacred to you?

The club name? Club colours? Ground name? Badges?

Problem is the modern game isn't about the supporters anymore. Doesn't really matter what you or I think, maximising income to allow us to compete with the numerous bigger clubs at this level is of paramount importance. Even more so since FFP came in.

Its likely that at some point in the future Ashton Gate will be renamed and be sponsored, I don't agree with it but that is the way of the world unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Thornbury Red said:

Problem is the modern game isn't about the supporters anymore. Doesn't really matter what you or I think, maximising income to allow us to compete with the numerous bigger clubs at this level is of paramount importance. Even more so since FFP came in.

Its likely that at some point in the future Ashton Gate will be renamed and be sponsored, I don't agree with it but that is the way of the world unfortunately.

A distinctly pessimistic tone, although I can understand it.

If you are in the Premier League - and someone is ready to fill any gap you create - I can see that any fan's opinion matters for almost nothing.  However, in the case of Bristol City, until such time as they have more fans wanting to attend than seats available they have a careful balancing act.

Whatever they do - and even if the decision is predetermined - a little more clarity would help.

Different perspective, but only if you have good owners in place. A club could use sponsorship and naming rights to keep down fans costs.

Bayern have allowed an insurance group to buy into the club and name the stadium, and as most know their ST's are very cheap. The club has stated that a couple of extra million gained in fleecing (my word) the fans would mean little to a club of their stature .

If the Sun life Ashton Gate meant that ST price were kept down and so got another 4-5k sold, who'd complain. Scratch that someone would .

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Different perspective, but only if you have good owners in place. A club could use sponsorship and naming rights to keep down fans costs.

Bayern have allowed an insurance group to buy into the club and name the stadium, and as most know their ST's are very cheap. The club has stated that a couple of extra million gained in fleecing (my word) the fans would mean little to a club of their stature .

If the Sun life Ashton Gate meant that ST price were kept down and so got another 4-5k sold, who'd complain. Scratch that someone would .

Arguably that might help to minimise increases in prices.  I think there is scarcely any hope of any UK club changing its pricing model to fit Bayern's approach.

Archived