IGNORED

Freedom of information act petition

Esmond Million's Bung

The government are systematically attempting to undermine the Freedom of information act, it is this act that finally exposed the MP’s expenses scandal, it is this act that last week exposed the huge salaries, expenses and back handers that police chiefs and NHS mandarins are receiving. 

The press are increasingly using the FOI act as a tool to discover the truths that this government don’t think that we need to know and the government are actively allowing public bodies like police forces, the NHS, the military and government departments to make spurious excuses not to answer important questions, what have they got to hide?.

So please sign this petition and get as many family and friends to sign it as well, I believe it to be incredibly important that we are not manipulated by lying governments anymore.

https://www.change.org/p/matthew-hancock-mp-don-t-weaken-the-freedom-of-information-act?recruiter=41157614&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-action_alert-no_msg&fb_ref=Default

Problem is the foi as good intentioned as it is, is being used so much by companies for sales purposes as well as press and general public it is starting to stop people in the public sector doing their jobs. I kid you not it is getting to a stage where we can legitmately turn down requests due to the amount of other foi requests we have to deal with. With 40% spending cuts and mass redundancies with no back fill in the public sector I don't see how the foi system can continue to fulfill its role if people want already down graded public departments to function.

15 minutes ago, TRL said:

Problem is the foi as good intentioned as it is, is being used so much by companies for sales purposes as well as press and general public it is starting to stop people in the public sector doing their jobs. I kid you not it is getting to a stage where we can legitmately turn down requests due to the amount of other foi requests we have to deal with. With 40% spending cuts and mass redundancies with no back fill in the public sector I don't see how the foi system can continue to fulfill its role if people want already down graded public departments to function.

That problem is in the main self inflicted, firstly most agencies don't even keep a database of FOI's, where the same question is asked multiple times and can be referred quickly to a link of the original reply.

5 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

That problem is in the main self inflicted, firstly most agencies don't even keep a database of FOI's, where the same question is asked multiple times and can be referred quickly to a link of the original reply.

Not really Es. Most foi requests come with specific dates. Yes the run of the mill stuff is often held and purposly so on departmental websites. That is a easy go and find it yourself response it is readily available to the public.

Unfortunately most stuff asked for isn't this type of query.

Archived