IGNORED

Players' reactions to team mates scoring or shooting....

BS4 on Tour...

I just watched a game that I recorded from the Football Gold series on Sky. It was Cardiff 3 Liverpool 6 from 2014.

Suarez scored with more or less the last kick of the game but instead of congratulating him, Sterling had his head in his hands because Suarez hadn't passed to him.

I also remember Clive Allen doing this quite a lot back in the day.

And every week we see guys fling their arms up in the air when a team mate misses a chance, some of them seemingly indicating that they would have easily scored if the ball was passed to them even though on most occasions they look well marked so are just making an over dramatic point!

There is also a video doing the rounds on social media at the moment of Cristiano Ronaldo looking furious when Bale takes a free kick for Real Madrid instead of him and fluffs it.

My point is, do we applaud the selfish nature of guys who wanted to score instead of the guy who actually did (or tried to!) or do we expect them to be team players and celebrate the goal for their team regardless of who scores it?

31 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How can it be a wrong decision if it results in a goal? Surely that is the objective of every attacking move?

Well yes but theres more than one way to skin a cat. If you can safely pass for an easier chance you should, however that shouldn't take away from the attacker executing from a worse position; hence both. 

It probably has something to do with a goal bonus. All about the money innit. 

On a more serious note players are judged by stats more than ever before. The biggest one for forward players is goals to games.

As for Ronaldo it is probably one of two things.  Frustration- when you are that good it must be infuriating that your team mates aren't even close... Despite them being really really good players. Or just the fact he is a total arse.

3 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

It probably has something to do with a goal bonus. All about the money innit. 

On a more serious note players are judged by stats more than ever before. The biggest one for forward players is goals to games.

As for Ronaldo it is probably one of two things.  Frustration- when you are that good it must be infuriating that your team mates aren't even close... Despite them being really really good players. Or just the fact he is a total arse.

Hmm. Now which could it be?

The one that annoys me is when, for example, Man City score against Newport County in the 3rd round of the Cup and they just turn around and job back to the centre spot like nothing has happened. Get one in the Manchester derby the following week then you're in with the fans, kissing the badge, cupping the ear to the other fans

It's a goal, celebrate it like the rest, or don't celebrate them at all

Archived