IGNORED

AFC Wimbledon and Clydebank...

BS4 on Tour...

...apparently Chelsea have bought the Kingsmeadow Stadium from AFC Wimbledon so the Chelsea Ladies team and academy teams can play there.

And the cash will allow the real Dons to move back to a new stadium in their traditional heartland of Merton.

What a rollercoaster ride Wimbledon have been on, and what a great end to that story. 

They were ripped apart, the heart and soul of their club was wrenched from them and the new entity moved to Milton Keynes.

But they didn't give up, reformed as AFC and climbed up through the levels to get back into the Football League and now it looks like they are going home.

A lot of people say they had no fans, but in 1999/2000 they averaged over 17,000 for home games. And in 1993 they had a crowd of over 30,000. Not bad for a team from a small borough. Although it has to be said they were able to accommodate a lot of away fans when they played at Selhurst Park.

But the size of the fanbase doesn't matter. I know a few original Wimbledon fans and they are over the moon at their return to Merton.

I'm glad this ended well for them which wasn't the case for Clydebank in Scotland and that still annoys me. Basically Airdrieonians went bust in 2002 so simply bought out Clydebank FC, relocated them to Airdrie, then closed them down and relaunched them as Airdrie Utd FC.

So the Clydebank fans lost their club, stadium and status overnight.

Still cannot believe the SFA approved that deal...

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Don`t Kingstonian also play at Kingsmeadow? I remember an article in 442 some time ago where they weren`t happy about the way they`d been treated by AFCW since they bought the ground (lack of investment, high rent etc. - remind you of anyone locally) so are they part of this deal?

They did. I remember going there in the FA cup 4th round in circa 2001. Loved that game, that lino still winds me up to this day. Was awful! 

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Don`t Kingstonian also play at Kingsmeadow? I remember an article in 442 some time ago where they weren`t happy about the way they`d been treated by AFCW since they bought the ground (lack of investment, high rent etc. - remind you of anyone locally) so are they part of this deal?

Good point, I know AFC Wimbledon bought Kingsmeadow from Kingstonian in 2003, but still share it? If so, surely it's part of the deal for Kingstonian to remain there and be tenants of Chelsea. I hope this doesn't adversely affect Kingstonian...

Archived