IGNORED

Today-from an exile

CTRed

Based in the US, we have been lucky to see a few games on tv this season so far.

Just a couple points on today. 

Hull will clearly get promoted, far better than us today, which is to be expected given the respective leagues we were in a few months ago. Hull were just much better with the ball, very rarely took more than 2 touches, could count the times they gave the ball away on one hand. Players always in the right positions.

Clearly we will get better from games like this and the fact that we were able to get a point is a massive bonus.

Bear in mind I don't see the team each game (only highlights on player) so I'm just going by today's performance.

We had 2 players who could play in Hull's team, Bennett & Baker - both are a class above anyone else in our team based on today & from what I've seen thru highlights from past games.

Positives to be taken from today though, even though we rarely got a touch of the ball and when we did, often times, we couldn't find a pass, we managed to get a point.

Was very surprised Bryan didn't come on for a clearly struggling Williams. 

Pretty sure Hull will be the best team we face this season.

6 hours ago, CTRed said:

Based in the US, we have been lucky to see a few games on tv this season so far.

Just a couple points on today. 

Hull will clearly get promoted, far better than us today, which is to be expected given the respective leagues we were in a few months ago. Hull were just much better with the ball, very rarely took more than 2 touches, could count the times they gave the ball away on one hand. Players always in the right positions.

Clearly we will get better from games like this and the fact that we were able to get a point is a massive bonus.

Bear in mind I don't see the team each game (only highlights on player) so I'm just going by today's performance.

We had 2 players who could play in Hull's team, Bennett & Baker - both are a class above anyone else in our team based on today & from what I've seen thru highlights from past games.

Positives to be taken from today though, even though we rarely got a touch of the ball and when we did, often times, we couldn't find a pass, we managed to get a point.

Was very surprised Bryan didn't come on for a clearly struggling Williams. 

Pretty sure Hull will be the best team we face this season.

Baker I agree, Bennett had his best game for us but has looked ordinary up to now. I can't believe there is a team in this league that wouldn't take Korey Smith if they could.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Baker I agree, Bennett had his best game for us but has looked ordinary up to now. I can't believe there is a team in this league that wouldn't take Korey Smith if they could.

Think you are harsh on Bennett, he has has a number of 7/10 games for us and looks a trade up on Mark Little.

Also based on the season but not on his performance yesterday, Kodjia is miles better than the guy (Akpon?) who started up front for them, he was woeful.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Think you are harsh on Bennett, he has has a number of 7/10 games for us and looks a trade up on Mark Little.

Also based on the season but not on his performance yesterday, Kodjia is miles better than the guy (Akpon?) who started up front for them, he was woeful.

7/10 is ordinary isn't it? JK was not at his best today but clearly 2 03 knocks in the first half which took their toll. 

50 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think Bennett had been very good for us since he had been here he gives our formation a lot more balance and gets decent crosses in. 

Baker is clearly a premiership player who we have no chance of keeping. Just have to appreciate him while he is here. 

Yes the OP pretty much saw what I saw. We couldn't pass the ball or move as quickly as them, we lost a lot of cheap possession particularly Luke Freeman, but the upside was he was/is always willing to get on the ball, so I am confident a little more form will come.

They looked bigger than us right across the team, but were all very able to play neat football, we look a small side in this league on average, however Baker looks class and he is really helping Flint and Ayling along....No wonder SC wants to buy him....Unlikely, but with the change at Villa who knows.

The biggest upside from a game where we were second best (unlike our other tv games) was Agard getting a much deserved goal....He and Codger ran their back four down when ever they could which is a major part of his game and will yield dividends against a lot of teams. Also I felt Korey Smith showed well again and is a midfield dynamo that most teams have to have.

My Opinion is we do have a spine...Fielding made a couple of decent saves, the back 3 looked very solid despite being under enormous pressure Korey looks decent in midfield and Codger is class....Freeman will come good I am sure and its up to Bryan, Little, Burns, Reid and Moore to battle their way back into the team....

If we are short anywhere I can see another midfielder required and a forward, if Cox is never to show us what he has in his locker. (I do wonder about a GK, with Hamer gone having the kid on the bench helps as we can have another loanee in the matchday squad, so I am guessing that will continue for the near future)

Rotherham next week is a far bigger game than yesterday and they had a good win at Leeds so are coming in on a high, however I feel we are class above our points total and are not to far away from at least mid table.

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Are you getting fed up of me liking your posts?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Are you getting fed up of me liking your posts?

Nope! 

Debate is good too, though. 

For me 7/10 means someone has had a good game, 5 or 6/10 is an ordinary or average performance.

Elliott Bennett is a good player but more than that his attitude is spot on. In the Fulham game a mate pointed out afterwards that he had lost possession on the edge of their box and so then sprinted 50/60 yards back to get a challenge in.

What made that even better was this, we were 4-0 down at the time and realistically he knew we had absolutely no chance of getting anything from the game.

When a bloke who is only on loan at present does that you know he's the right sort.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

To be honest I thought the 2 up front were Hull's weakest players, both very lightweight and didn't pose any goal threat. They looked far more likely to score through one of the midfielders or even the centre half who had 2 good efforts at goal. I was quite disappointed to see Akpon go off and Maloney come on. 

Archived