IGNORED

Mismanagement Or Good Sense

sh1t_ref_again

Guest bristollionheart

Losing Aaron Brown on a free would be terrible, West Brom offered £600,000 for him in 1999 and we said it was "nowhere near" his valuation :grr:

I see it slightly different to you.

Neither good sense nor mismanagement. Just necessary decissions.

I believe that promotion was the financial gateway for these players. They didn't achive it so now have to face the consequences.

You are correct in saying that losing these players will be a big loss but if they had signed a new contract on 1st division wages during the season we would be in a position where we can't refuse sensible offers for ANY player.

You could say that they gave a huge incentive to Peacock et al. Play well, get us promoted and you will have the contract you deserve.

Yeah I don't disagree with your sentiment Zookepper, we could have ended up with players in the comfort zone of 1st division wages win or lose promotion. But where we find ourselves now is valuble players able to leave without us getting a penny back to replace them.

All this talk on the forum of great Peacock's going lets go and by 1 or 2 proven strikers, did I miss a new russian member of the board or could we be struggling to fund this.

Guest RedHotCityPepper

In a perfect world all the players with expiring contracts would have signed on lower wages last summer or during the season.

Unfortunately this was not an option. However, i'm wondering whether it would have been possible to try and get them to sign on lower wages earlier but with promotion bonuses (wage rise, cash incentive etc.). I don't know if it would have worked but it was just a thought.

This isn't a great situation we now find ourselves in but looking at some of the quality lower division players now available on free's (wellens, pinault, lawrence etc.) it seems to be common place these days.

Just got to hope that the players have faith in the current set up at the club and that they beleive City have the potential to get them playing at a higher standard in the coca-cola championship next season or the season after.

I think our current squad is good enough, and i think we can go up next season as long as we don't suffer key loses such as Doherty, Brown and Coles.

I hope we're all behind the current staff both managerial and player.

Keep the faith

I think everyone is behind manager but are concerned with contracts and money siyuation at the club. I thought we made quite a bit from play off final 50% gate plus 4 t 5 full houses and 1 rugby match and pop concert, Good season ticket sales and merchandise sales and allegedly catering has made over 1 million this season for club. So are we that skint or are we playing a waiting game t see wh wants to stay at the club and who wants to just leave.

The queston here is whether (as mentioned in previous posts) this is just part of a new openness by the club to let us know whats going on, in which case things can get skewed (see Aaron Brown - club say he wants to play at a higher level, Aaron says hes just considering his options), or its just blatant mismanagement previously.

I don't think anyone would have complained of we didn't look to renew Bells contract sooner with him not hitting form until the latter part of the season and looking out of the door before then, but the others are a different matter. What I would have preferred (& for all we know what could have happened) is they could have been offered conditional contracts mid season with one wage in division 1 and one wage in division 2. Would have seemed the most sensible option to do and possibly avoided a scenario where we could lose 4 regular first teamers for next season.

If we really haven't put anything on the table until now, I can't blame the players for considering their options and seeing what else was there (for all we talk of loyalty to City if you were offered a higher wage in your job by another employer you'd consider going!) and its mismanagement of sorts for not attempting to tie your Hills, Browns & Careys down. Publicising that they've turned down inital offers now doesn't help the nerves but does at least let you know whats going on

Still, no news on Matty Hill yet, hey!

What I would have preferred (& for all we know what could have happened) is they could have been offered conditional contracts mid season with one wage in division 1 and one wage in division 2. Would have seemed the most sensible option to do and possibly avoided a scenario where we could lose 4 regular first teamers for next season.

GN4 , I think you make an excellent point on how we could have secured our assets for this season, but without the finacial over commitment in the case of failure

Welcome to the world of football.Just to state the obvious there are 91 other clubs who are also facing similar issues.The industry is by nature a transient one,now especially so since the arrival of Bosmans and the infestation of agents with parasitic agendas.

However just as the departure of some can be a little sad, the speculation and excitement generated by possible targets is part & parcel of todays commercial game.

With regard to extended contracts designed to hold key assets, remember this very strategy brought our club to deaths door.

I like to think S.L. and B.T. are astute enough to know what is best for our situation,what of course confuses the issue is that they have to plan short-term but with an eye on the longer term.Second division revenues are of course mightily different to those of where we like to be in the first.

Why is everyone assuming that players would have signed new contracts before the end of the season ?

SL has made it clear that we couldnt afford to run on the budget we were on last year so with this in mind even if we had offered contracts in say December last year they would have still been the same terms, Theres no way SL would have handed out contracts in line with First divison pay before we got there. The players would have still rejected these contract offers saying that they would like to see what divison the club are in at the end of the season knowing full well if they promoted then they are in line for a better deal !

The players who leave can clear off as far as I'm concerned, If there that botherd about taking a pay cut then perhaps they should have put more effort in during last season. Its simple really of they had got us up they would now be being offered more, They didnt do that so why should we continue to pay above the divison average.

I think everyone is behind manager but are concerned with contracts and money siyuation at the club. I thought we made quite a bit from play off final 50% gate plus 4 t 5 full houses and 1 rugby match and pop concert, Good season ticket sales and merchandise sales and allegedly catering has made over 1 million this season for club. So are we that skint or are we playing a waiting game t see wh wants to stay at the club and who wants to just leave.
During the last few weeks of the season the club ran at a profit. Nothing the set the world alight mind, but it was the 1st time that the club had done that for a very long time!

Archived