IGNORED

Dean Smith

BobBobSuperBob

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Very surprising appointment. 

I really can't see what qualifies him for what has to be classed as a pretty decent job in the Championship. Maybe it was a very sort shortlist of candidates. 

You could be right. There must be quite a few managers who wouldn`t be comfortable with the moneyball approach and might have decided to wait and see.

Moneyball is a Brad Pitt film about the Oakland Athletics baseball team and how they managed to win the World Series with one of the smallest budgets. They created a database of stats on every player in the country and picked up free agents, has beens and the lesser known players from other teams who had decent stats. And it worked. Cracking film. 

The Brentford owner also owns a Danish team I think and has just won their first ever title using this "moneyball" approach. I read an article and the guy said that when they bought the club, the fans favourite player was an all action midfielder who flew into tackles and won the ball every time. When they looked at his stats, it turned out that he was responsible for giving the ball away more than anyone else. They dropped him and brought in a player that used the ball better and their results started to improve. 

Its an approach that may never work for Brentford but why not give it ago. They are punching above their weight currently so can't be doing them that bad. 

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

1-1 Neil bloody Danns. Some players just have no loyalty do they?

Thats ok, we dont want Bolton breathing down our necks -but then again we want to be breathing down Brentfords neck ourselves in the not too distant future as it stands I'd say a draw is probably the best result from our point of view - assuming we have confidence and aspirations of climbing the table.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Odd appointment. A lot of Walsall fans seemed to have had enough of him by the end of last season (the last day capitulation to us didn't help).

I think he's done rather well and had them playing good football, all with a small budget. It's a shame that he's abandoned ship when he's finally got them in contention for promotion.

1 hour ago, ciderup said:

Did Brentford replace Andre Grey? Watch Bradshaw head to West London now!

Depends if Bradshaw's stats show up on their database. Probably won't be Dean Smith's decision. 

In fact, the stats will probably highlight Bradshaw's poor injury history. 

22 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Odd appointment. A lot of Walsall fans seemed to have had enough of him by the end of last season (the last day capitulation to us didn't help).

From what I read on their forum they didn't "seem" to have enough of him, they'd had enough of him and couldn't wait to see him go

3 minutes ago, HomerRed said:

I see John Ward is in caretaker charge at Walsall. 

....heard he's been seen proudly brandishing Trigger from OF&H magical everlasting broom in the car park.. Toilet Duck in the bog pans and Cillit Bang on the basin taps -'bang and the dirt is gone' he proclaims loudly, 'its the only silverware we have so its an important job to look after it." continued Wardy.

Archived