IGNORED

What is success to Bristol City?

Aipearcey

I think today showed that in many areas today we need to improve both on and off the pitch. I don't believe the team has under performed this but I honestly believe most players are putting everything in but simply don't have what it take to be a major success this season. But when we're looking at transfers what standard of players are we looking for, what are we expecting to achieve and who needs to be replaced from today's team for this to happen? 

In my opinion to survive/mid table:
Fielding (not a major priority-keep)
Bennet (try and get permanently-keep)
Ayling (good back up but gives the ball away to much-replace)
Flint (struggled a bit this season but hopefully with the right players around him could become the rock he was last season-keep)
Baker (apart from today has been good and would be worth keeping if the price is right-keep)
Williams (has done ok at wing back and would probably see us through till the end of season with joe always there to step in-keep)
Smith (the best player this season by a mile-must keep!)
Freeman (think he will come good and would do well in a team playing with confidence but needs to be taken out of the firing line until results pick up-temporary replace)
Ried (really don't think he's the long term answer and feel both him and pack need to be replaced in the long term for us to become a higher placed championship team- replace)
Agard (good player to have on the bench but too similar to kodjia regarding what he brings to the team and kodjia is the better of the two-replace)
Kodjia (hasn't been the same since wilbraham has been out of the team but think will thrive in a team playing well-keep)

Fielding not good enough,gives the back four very little confidence and doesn't command his area.The difference in the keepers on show today was like a man in one goal and his little boy in the other. I thought Luke Freeman would be ok this year but he is way out of his depth and has really struggled in most games. Flint looks ok with Baker,Williams is just ok but Luke Ayling is so inconsistent. Korey Smith is head and shoulders our best player by a country mile and although Marlon Pack gets a lot of flak I think he does a decent job.Bobby Reid has a good touch but is far too lightweight for the role he is asked to play but I think Bennet is a decent player and looks ok.Agard is just a runner who flatters to deceive.Huffs and puffs,poor first touch and a surprising lack of pace.Kodjia is with Smith our best player but I'm afraid the squad as it is looks very poor.The transfer window will be massive for us so if SL doesn't want a return to league 1 he will really have to splash the cash to get some real quality players in.Forget players not wanting to join a struggling side,in this era of pro football money is king.

3 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Fielding not good enough,gives the back four very little confidence and doesn't command his area.The difference in the keepers on show today was like a man in one goal and his little boy in the other. I thought Luke Freeman would be ok this year but he is way out of his depth and has really struggled in most games. Flint looks ok with Baker,Williams is just ok but Luke Ayling is so inconsistent. Korey Smith is head and shoulders our best player by a country mile and although Marlon Pack gets a lot of flak I think he does a decent job.Bobby Reid has a good touch but is far too lightweight for the role he is asked to play but I think Bennet is a decent player and looks ok.Agard is just a runner who flatters to deceive.Huffs and puffs,poor first touch and a surprising lack of pace.Kodjia is with Smith our best player but I'm afraid the squad as it is looks very poor.The transfer window will be massive for us so if SL doesn't want a return to league 1 he will really have to splash the cash to get some real quality players in.Forget players not wanting to join a struggling side,in this era of pro football money is king.

I thought we only had 1 shot on goal so how did their keeper look so much better than ours? Gotta be honest I don't remember fielding doing much wrong today, I do remember him saving a 1 on 1 after Agard gave it away which was the best save of the match wasn't it? 

I'll give my answer to the thread title.

A team from the 10th biggest city in the UK, with a billionaire owner, a modern 27,000 seater stadium and a fanbase that is capable of taking 40,000 people to Wembley should, in my opinion, be capable of competing in the top half of the table as a bare minimum.

Given that this is our first season back in the Championship, I would accept survival this year as "success" and a reasonable step towards becoming established at this level.

8 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

I thought we only had 1 shot on goal so how did their keeper look so much better than ours? Gotta be honest I don't remember fielding doing much wrong today, I do remember him saving a 1 on 1 after Agard gave it away which was the best save of the match wasn't it? 

What I mean is Fielding is not a commanding box keeper. Very rarely takes high balls around the six yard box which causes panic around him. It happened a couple of times yesterday,also he has been beaten from distance too often this season and not by "worldies" either.

Archived