IGNORED

Reflection

daored

So the dust has settled following another defeat at the weekend, which leaves us just outside the relegation zone level on points with Charlton.

Read over the weekend, whether it's time to stick or twist with SC, players deliberately getting sent off!

Firstly, we're a newly promoted team in this league. Our objective for me at the start of the season was simply to stay up and then look to build, to potentially become a relatively big / attractive club in this league. I watched MOTD on Saturday, and heard the Leicester players comments, of we need to get to 40 points and then build from there. That's the approach we need to take this season, collect enough points to stay up and then look to finish as high as we possibly can and should have been from the start of the season.

Player recruitment has been done to death, as much as this is our club we have neither the parachute payments of ex premier league clubs, or the name of perceived bigger clubs to draw certain players in. Also I feel we are also at an disadvantage to clubs such as brentford who can attract players from premiership London clubs on loan, without the player having to re-locate. The finances of clubs in this league fluctuate massively. We're a big fish in league 1 and can attract the better players but a smaller fish in this league, and are more than likely second or third choice for players, however that will change the longer we stay in this league and become potentially competitive at the top end 

Do I think we will stay up? I'm not sure. However, I do believe the club will react, with money available for players in January whether SC is in charge then remains to be seen. I believe the board will do all that can to assure Bristol City are a championship club come August.

3 minutes ago, daored said:

Player recruitment has been done to death, as much as this is our club we have neither the parachute payments of ex premier league clubs, or the name of perceived bigger clubs to draw certain players in. Also I feel we are also at an disadvantage to clubs such as brentford who can attract players from premiership London clubs on loan, without the player having to re-locate. The finances of clubs in this league fluctuate massively. We're a big fish in league 1 and can attract the better players but a smaller fish in this league, and are more than likely second or third choice for players, however that will change the longer we stay in this league and become potentially competitive at the top end.

Problem is though presently it is looking as though we need those kinds of players now otherwise we wont be staying in this league. We have to look at why players dont want to come here in an honest way and if it is anything to do with our management or coaching, something which is rapidly becoming a theme on this forum lately, then we have to address that. If it is due to finance then again we have to make the case for whether we have been realistic with our targets.

I took the biggest issue is finances and whether a). We can compete financially with teams in this league, and if we can't we need to establish other ways we can, either through a successful youth team, lower league / non league players who can make the step up. B). The board just won't sanction the wages / signing on fees etc for the players we need to strengthen the team and that ultimately is a club decision.

The difference in finances between clubs in this league I would suspect is huge. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Actually perhaps instead of spending on players we should bung a few quid Sky's way to show more of our games, as it seems to be the only time we put in a good performance!

Or call ourselves Leeds United , only way to be shown by sky !!!

Archived