IGNORED

Three years maximum

Major Isewater

They say that being " in love " only lasts three years , i believe the magic three years counts for football managers as well .

First year - gives everything , renews the squad , signs of success and ready for the second .

Second year - still on a high , team is his , gets some success , pushes on.

Third year - running out of steam , team starts to lose faith in manager , fans ask questions, board panic .

The King is dead , long live the King .

28 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

You'd have given Fergie the chop in 1989 then?

There's always exceptions to the rule, but I think in 95% of cases 3 years seems about right in football

And right now I would think most managers would kill for 3 years in the same job. The amount of sackings this year is off the scale

Just now, Woodsy said:

There's always exceptions to the rule, but I think in 95% of cases 3 years seems about right in football

Going by the climate yeah you're right, if anything it's being kind. But the first sign of a slump gets people trigger-happy. There's plenty of examples where a bit more patience can work out; one mediocre season doesn't mean pushing the button is the best option.

10 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Going by the climate yeah you're right, if anything it's being kind. But the first sign of a slump gets people trigger-happy. There's plenty of examples where a bit more patience can work out; one mediocre season doesn't mean pushing the button is the best option.

Agree, anyone who has swapped jobs in the normal world will tell you how long it takes to feel at home

Seeing people sacked after 6 months just blows my mind

Read somewhere this morning that Monk is in line for a £3m pay off from Swansea, at certain levels in the game you can't feel too sorry for them though! It's the people at the bottom end, Rob Edwards for example. No idea where he is now, but dumped at Tranmere after 5 mins, he will struggle to get another job in the professional game, I suspect

Archived