IGNORED

Bolton Receive Winding Up Order

rockinrobin

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

No chance they will go out of business. The administrator looks for a buyer - there will be plenty of willing buyers for a basement price club with no debt. 

But that is their main problem.

Their current owner is prepared to write off Bolton's debt to him, but they owe millions to HMRC and others - £20M if I understand correctly.

Thus, any potential buyer, even somebody who just takes over the club for free, has to first pay off the £20M and then finance their monthly £1M losses - a difficult task with administration and in Division 1. 

I think this is unfortunately perfectly sums up modern football and in my opinion will only get worse.

The money to the premiership clubs for next season is just ridiculous and as we're seeing this year a number of championship clubs are gambling on getting into the premiership next season to have a slice of the pie. For those clubs that fail to make it , will be interesting to see how they cope, one club that springs to mind being QPR.

Plus for clubs in the premiership , relegation is unthinkable, a club like villa going down. 

For me, I'm enjoying this season, decent grounds, crowds and some really good footballers. Would take a stable Bristol city in the championship , rather than chase that dream 

9 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

But that is their main problem.

Their current owner is prepared to write off Bolton's debt to him, but they owe millions to HMRC and others - £20M if I understand correctly.

Thus, any potential buyer, even somebody who just takes over the club for free, has to first pay off the £20M and then finance their monthly £1M losses - a difficult task with administration and in Division 1. 

No they don't. A sale of assets will raise cash to pay off creditors (a percentage only of course)  with the HMRC first in line. A sale is not dependent on taking on debts. That would be a takeover. We are talking about administration. 

23 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

No they don't. A sale of assets will raise cash to pay off creditors (a percentage only of course)  with the HMRC first in line. A sale is not dependent on taking on debts. That would be a takeover. We are talking about administration. 

My apologies.

I was referring to a sale and not administration, but their problem still exists.

A sale would require a huge investment (outstanding debts included) whilst administration, in addition to the 12 point reduction, suggests Division 1 and little chance of financial security in the short/medium term.

I hope Bolton survive and spend many a happy season bouncing between the lower leagues.  It's not supriding really.  Nearly all the clubs which Pre 1992 were  solid level 2/3 clubs that subsequently had a run in the premier league are back down where they should be,; Charlton. Oldham, Bolton, Pompey, Blackburn,  ( certs for relegation to league 1 within 3 years) Sheffield Utd etc, have had their day in the sun, but what goes up must come down.

It's not difficult to forsee that Swansea, Stoke and Hull will be playing league 1 football in the not too distant future. 

6 minutes ago, Malago said:

I hope Bolton survive and spend many a happy season bouncing between the lower leagues.  It's not supriding really.  Nearly all the clubs which Pre 1992 were  solid level 2/3 clubs that subsequently had a run in the premier league are back down where they should be,; Charlton. Oldham, Bolton, Pompey, Blackburn,  ( certs for relegation to league 1 within 3 years) Sheffield Utd etc, have had their day in the sun, but what goes up must come down.

It's not difficult to forsee that Swansea, Stoke and Hull will be playing league 1 football in the not too distant future. 

And Bristol City?

9 hours ago, Malago said:

Why would Stoke be heading to league 1 ???!

A well run club with a great premier league manager signing players from Barcelona etc.

Currently doing very well indeed

10 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

They would still at this stage most likely be looking at entering into a CVA (Company Voluntary Arrangement) - whereby they agree a payment plan to pay off their debt's/part of their debts, whilst taking pressure off themselves from creditors . For this to work however they would need those that are owed 75% value of their whole debt to agree to this scheme - otherwise it won't be approved & if they can't agree that, or find x amount between now and the court hearing in January, then the likelihood is they will enter administration. Even if the owner who is owed the most part of the debt chooses not to claim that, HMRC are unlikely to drop their winding up petition unless the Company Voluntary Arrangement looks like offering a better financial return than administration. It isn't even like Bolton can now offer Bolton a hush hush cut price amount now, as now it has been reported to media, any other creditors owed money will now jump on bandwagon and potential seek legal action/will submit formal action like HMRC have done against the club. Whatever the outcome, it looks relatively bleak for BWFC at this point

14 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I remember many entertaining games against them down the years, especially back in the '80s. Plus they were our opposition in the first FRT final. Wish them well. If we finish ahead of them I hope it's not just due to a points deduction. 

I thought of our first Wembley final too. What a contrast in fortunes since then for both clubs. They've had cup finals, the premiership, European football, relocated, dealt in millions instead of thousands. Must have been some good times and memories for their fans.

Ok yes they are now having a downturn in fortunes, and not looking good but I suppose the higher you rise the further you can fall. 

14 minutes ago, RedM said:

I thought of our first Wembley final too. What a contrast in fortunes since then for both clubs. They've had cup finals, the premiership, European football, relocated, dealt in millions instead of thousands. Must have been some good times and memories for their fans.

Ok yes they are now having a downturn in fortunes, and not looking good but I suppose the higher you rise the further you can fall. 

And don't we know all about that ? 

15 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I remember many entertaining games against them down the years, especially back in the '80s. Plus they were our opposition in the first FRT final. Wish them well. If we finish ahead of them I hope it's not just due to a points deduction. 

Didn't we hold some sort of "Indian Sign" over them for decades, i.e we were their bogey team ?

IIRC, when they won at AG in the early 2000's, it was their first win at our place for something like 80 odd years ?

1 hour ago, shelts said:

It makes you think where would we be if we weren't backed a very wealthy chairman. I always wonder what the contingency plan is after Landsdown ?

I don't suppose there is one...
That said, even with him, regarding player recruitment this season, there appears to be no plan, either master or contingency....

1 hour ago, shelts said:

It makes you think where would we be if we weren't backed a very wealthy chairman. I always wonder what the contingency plan is after Landsdown ?

Not bashing Lansdown so dont take my comments the wrong way ...but

Probably more or less the same place as we have been ever since i have followed city circa late 80`s onwards even possibly without so much debt and also owning our own stadium.

I was told by a Bolton fan there are three possible buyers for the club, but they know if the club go into administration then they can buy the club at a lot cheaper price. Also the chairman said if someone gives him £50 million for the club he will personally write off the debt as the debt is to him and the tax office. 

Dont know how much of it was true mind, so don't go shooting me down. 

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why would Stoke be heading to league 1 ???!

A well run club with a great premier league manager signing players from Barcelona etc.

Currently doing very well indeed

Because their historic cycle of success and failure shows that that they peak at lower to middle of level one and bottom out at top half level 3.  Coventry were well run for many years but eventually bottomed out to their former level 3 status.

Only the very top clubs like Man U, Arsenal , Everton Spurs and Liverpool avoid level 3 football.  The likes of Aston Villa, WBA,  Soton, Wolves , Stoke , Leicester, Norwich, will inevitably drop diwn to level 3 at some stage.  It's the nature of English football that they do so.

7 hours ago, Malago said:

Because their historic cycle of success and failure shows that that they peak at lower to middle of level one and bottom out at top half level 3.  Coventry were well run for many years but eventually bottomed out to their former level 3 status.

Only the very top clubs like Man U, Arsenal , Everton Spurs and Liverpool avoid level 3 football.  The likes of Aston Villa, WBA,  Soton, Wolves , Stoke , Leicester, Norwich, will inevitably drop diwn to level 3 at some stage.  It's the nature of English football that they do so.

Not sure i would include villa in that but otherwise id agree.

12 hours ago, Malago said:

Where does Chelsea fit into this? 

Archived